Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation offered to navigate me home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got into my car today and I had a prompt on my screen that offered to navigate me home. I can't
recall the exact question prompt, but I've never seen this before. What gives? Could I have possibly pressed something on the touch screen?
If you don't have a home saved yet and regularly travel from work to home I found it suggested that after a week with classic and AP 1.0. I experimented with my new X and it didn't do that yet.

Possibly the car is seeing the pattern and suggesting the destination based on the pattern
One thing I keep reminding people about self driving cars is that you have to take the time to tell the car where you want to go. Pain in the neck on many nav systems these days , infuriating in fact.
Once the car sees patterns like wayz does it will anticipate where you might be going and it will be easier.

Unfortunately the navigation told me to take my usual route home which was filled with an accident delay. Waze directions had me go a different way and saved me 10 minutes. Now I see what people are talking about as far as how poor the navigation is. Took me a couple of months to find that out.

My car has figured out that I go play pinball at a certain bar every Thursday -- when I get in on Thursday night, it suggests alternate routes based on traffic without being prompted. I've never told it to navigate to that location, it simply learned my habit. Kinda creepy, but cool!

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
So I got into my car today and I had a prompt on my screen that offered to navigate me home. I can't
recall the exact question prompt, but I've never seen this before. What gives? Could I have possibly pressed something on the touch screen?
Yes, the car's navigation system learns from your repeated driving patters, and recommends a route back home, guessing you're headed back. It happens to me regularly. I don't always let it choose the route though. Waze is usually better. If they fixed the nav to use Waze, they'd have a great upgrade for us users!

I was under the impression that the "current traffic situation" was pulled from Google Maps, although, now I cannot find where I heard that...

Regarding the prompts to work/home and rerouting due to traffic conditions, you have to set a threshold on how many minutes you want to save before it reroutes you.

From the user manual:
"on your usage patterns, Model S may prompt you to save a current location as Home or Work. After you save a Home and a Work location, Model S may prompt you to navigate to your Work location in the mornings and to your Home location in the evenings and tell you how long it will take to navigate in current traffic conditions. To navigate to your Work or Home location, simply press NAV TO WORK or NAV TO HOME when prompted. You can also press Settings and specify an amount of time to be saved (in five minute increments, up to 30 minutes) before Model S reroutes your drive to your Home or Work location."

Possibly the car is seeing the pattern and suggesting the destination based on the pattern
One thing I keep reminding people about self driving cars is that you have to take the time to tell the car where you want to go. Pain in the neck on many nav systems these days , infuriating in fact.
Once the car sees patterns like wayz does it will anticipate where you might be going and it will be easier.

With a Tesla this is one aspect where the voice command function actually works most of the time. I just say "take me to X" and it usually either starts the nav to X or asks me to choose X from a list of options. Quick, painless, and can be done while I'm pulling out of my garage/driveway.

Reactions: Tomnook