TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NDAs/Conspiracy theories about Model S delivery

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FlasherZ, Sep 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Most likely vendor or employee. Employee would probably not be sanctioned to post here, so I'm guessing a vendor of some sort.

2. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

My first thought as well.

3. SimonJ

SimonJ Member

Re the above, I am new to this site, and am literally shellshocked by some of the things I have read so far, and the time you guys spend on here, and how you speculate on things! I kind of admire it, in a weird way, but wow...... it is a different world. I am slightly jealous to be honest, I wish I was as interested in anything as you guys obviously are in Model S. It IS cool, I give you that. No offence meant... just I am not a forum kind of man, normally, and it's a little bit scary! Working for a traditional manufacturing company, I feel a bit sorry for Tesla. People seem to think they are the UN, rather than a car company, and that the car is literally "just for them". They're not, and it isn't.... you cannot have a car (or indeed any product!) that is perfect for everyone. It's just not possible. I do understand SOME of your "frustrations", but jeez.... making any product, let alone a completely new type of car when you have only made one other (based, as I understand, on an existing car) is difficult, and many suppliers may let you down... etc. I am pretty sure they would be delighted to share any new information, but if they don't have it, they don't have it... badgering them and obsessing about it isn't going to change that. Just my POV. The reason I came on here, btw, is that I am thinking of reserving a UK Model S, and wanted some thoughts. I have certainly got them! :biggrin: PS (and this is for any middle-aged UK-based (or Brit-comedy watching) people): today I have mostly been learning about cupholders.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Just remember - this entire thread (now that it's been split off) was started by a gag post. It was a joke. This place is like a tinderbox that's on such a hair trigger that a drop of rain will start it on fire.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

So that might mean adelman is a client. Doing work for Tesla Motors.

6. Charged_Up

Charged_Up Member

That's because the company is communicating in a very limited way with long-time res holders.

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Nah, we're all adults. We don't need to blame Tesla for our behavior.

8. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Fantastic analogy. We must all be sleep-deprived and borderline insane as we try to cope with the anticipation :smile:

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Sysadm here. There's no borderline about it.

10. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

#50 CapitalistOppressor, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    I had the same reaction when I logged in to the site in June. I still can't believe the drama over the center console or cupholders :)

I wasn't even really terribly concerned about the panel gaps in the hatch, though I must say that was a much more important issue that I am glad looks to be resolved.

Drama aside, the Model S looks like a car worth getting excited over. Not sure when the U.K. will get superchargers (heck, not sure about the California plans for SuperChargers and CA is the primary market) but ~420km of charge is no joke, and super useful even if you don't have the best charging infrastructure.

Is gas still over 130p in London? Last time I was there I think it was like $9/gallon or so once all the conversions are factored in (pounds to dollar, liters to gallons). Whatever it actually works out to my wallet did not like losing all the pretty little bank notes :)

11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

I expect a Rowan Atkinson cupholder skit would be as hilarious as it gets right about now, eh?

12. arg

arg Member

Actually, 300 notional miles is pretty good for the size of the UK. I took a day-trip this week to a client in the middle of nowhere that is pretty much my worst possible case: 3 hours each way driving (any further and I'd make it an overnight as there'd be no time to do any work, and if they lived anywhere sensible at this distance I'd go by train). I was thinking on the way back "well, this is one trip even a Model S couldn't do" but when I got home I thought I'd check it out just to see. Google maps reckoned the trip was 145 miles each way, taking the motorways, which obviously wouldn't work without some charging. But the cross-country route we actually took was only 125 miles each way - just about in range, but rather tight for comfort.

But of course we stopped 15 mins for fuel and coffee on the way there, and really should have stopped for food on the way home (rather than arriving hungry at 11pm as we actually did!), so there would have been plenty of time to get a bit of charge on the way. "I bet there's nowhere to charge on these cross-country routes" I thought, but a quick search for charging locations found several places we could have stopped for coffee with 32A charging available. So, even my worst-case driving could fit a Model S after all.

The thing I hadn't properly thought through before is that with a 300-mile car, even if your trip doesn't quite fit, you don't need a full recharge, just a small top-off [this is obviously common knowledge to roadster owners]. So I don't think superchargers are very important in the UK, and even then we don't need many of them (even Lands End to John o'Groats - the longest possible journey in the UK - is only 840 miles or so).

About 140p/litre = 530p/USgal = $US 8.50 approx

13. SimonJ

SimonJ Member

The Fast Show, but good guess! :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Yes... about 140p a litre... depends where you go. London tends to be pricier than the rest of the UK, I once saw 155.9/litre in Fulham... ouch. My preferred fill up point in the Midlands is about 140p for diesel and 135p for petrol (gas).

14. daniel

daniel Active Member

Okay, you guys want the truth? Here it is:

Elon Musk is a hologram projected from Bulgaria via the internet by a cabal of Lowland Scots whose plan is to discredit EVs by building the best EV possible with today's technology but charging $600 per year for maintenance, thus insidiously undermining the claim that EVs require less maintenance than ICE vehicles. They further have infiltrated the nation's water treatments plants where they will secretly substitute Gatorade for the fluoride, resulting in a long-term rise in tooth decay so that Americans will have to spend so much time at the dentist that they will have no time left to vote, and the conspirators will be the only ones voting (they'll have been drinking bottled water with their own fluoride added) so that they'll be able to put their own chosen people in all government offices. This done, they'll pass laws requiring every citizen and resident of the U.S. to wear a kilt. With everyone wearing a kilt, nobody will be able to tell who are the men and who are the women. The birth rate will decline to zero, and when the U.S. is empty, in a generation, Scotland will move in. It's a dastardly plan, but it's not foolproof. All America has to do is quit eating anything with sugar in it. And hire dentists for all the polling places. Their scheme will be foiled.

You may ask how I can reveal this without fearing for my life. Well, I signed an NDA, so they'll never suspect that I'm the one who posted this. Plus, I put a tin foil hat over my computer modem so they'll won't see when I post.

15. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Sounds plausible.

16. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

#56 ElSupreme, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Are you sure it isn't Brawndo? It's got what plants crave! It's got electrolytes.

17. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Exactly what I was thinking. :biggrin: