TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Near annual replacement of 12V battery is typical according to Tesla Service Tech

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ecarfan, Jan 15, 2015.

1. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

DC/DC should power up when the 12V battery voltage drops to a specified level and keep the battery charged, just like a battery charger. If it doesn't I'd say there is a problem with the DC/DC converter.

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

Well that didn’t last long. My last 12v lasted almost four years. Since one got out in in early March and I already got the replace 12v message. Similar to last time, I noticed this week I had much higher vampire drain, but I figured it was because of the fall weather. Guess it was both.

3. N..8

N..8 Member

If your getting a good amount of Vampire drain then your 12v is taking a beating. The HV pack doesn't just discharge on it's own, the contactors have to be engage to run the systems either 12v (13.2) or HV (350/400). If your car isn't going to sleep then the 12v systems are working hard on something and everytime that 12v gets to 12.4 or 12.5v then the DC/DC kicks in and supplies 13.2v from the HV battery. This is where the HV Vampire drain comes from on most normal cases. If your car is actively charging then the DC/DC contactors are closed and keeping the battery at 13.2v. I think some of the people here that drive lots of miles a day and charge from home will see long life in their 12v batteries. Due to driving keeps the battery at 13.2 and while charging for the 4 or 5 hours at night does the same. Cycling the Lead Acid battery so many times takes a toll on it. I use a NOCO Genius and my car will loose maybe 1% over 4 or 5 days if I have it parked in the garage. If my car isn't in sleep mode then the NOCO helps but a trickle charge doesn't make up for what the car uses. I haven't tried to put the NOCO on 13.6 supply mode yet and keeping the car awake but may give it a try for test run.

• Informative x 3
  4. dabbler

dabbler Member

I have been going on my fourth year with out replacement of the 12V battery. I also charge from home on a regular basis (HPWC). Good to know that regular home charging extends the life of the 12V battery. I don't see any change in vampire drain over the years. I suspect that when replacement time comes, I will be doing this myself.

5. Barry

Barry Active Member

My first battery lasted 6 weeks. Second one, almost 3 1/2 years and still going.

While I have no proof, I suspect that Tesla loosened up their 12V battery "early warning system," and doesn't flag weakening batteries as early as it used to.

• Like x 1
  6. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Replacing the 12V on my X today. 2.5 years old. My S is 4.5 years old and hasn’t had a replacement yet.

• Informative x 1
  7. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Another data point. We just returned from a 4 month trip out of the country with our 2015 P85D (40,000 miles) plugged into our HPWC charging at 60A. With our Tesla set to maintain 80% we didn't receive a "replace battery" warning and our range is almost identical after a couple of drives to < 10% charge then recharge overnight on our HPWC.

YMMV