Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearing 30k mikes & still no Extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My uncles X has 30k miles on it (mine has 10k) and he is very quickly getting to the point where his manufacturers number to number will expire.

Concerned that with all the issues (which have been fixed under warranty to-date) that continue to spring up it will become very expensive to keep the car if it has to be paid out of pocket moving forward.

Given the complexity and history of X quality to-date,Tesla should either extend the bumper to bumper warranty or offer the extended warranty which is available on the S. (I have it on my S)

I remember a number of years back BMW had quality issues with their 7 series and as a result gave all 7 series owners 100k bumper to bumper to bumper warranty as a show of standing behind their product.

I love Tesla and have both the S and X.....but the X without an option to extend the warranty could be with certainty a money pit

A few years ago my Roadster was nearing the end of its factory warranty, and a lot of other owners were close too; there was a lot of concern about when the promised extended warranty would be available. Tesla made an extended warranty available in the nick of time...almost. A few people had gone past the deadline, but Tesla let them buy one anyway.

I asked for a copy of the paperwork to look it over. The next morning they told me they needed it back as they were still making tiny adjustments, and they'd soon give me a new and final copy. And if it took too long and I went past the expiration of my original warranty, they would still let me buy in. A lot of other stuff happened, but to shorten the story, the extended warranty was never offered in my state (Washington). That is, not for the Roadster. They did finally make it available for the Model S.

Not that I'm sure I would have bought it if it was offered; it had a lot of exclusions and was pretty expensive (especially if you bought the separate and even more expensive coverage for the battery). And as it turns out, it was just as well as I never would have had a reason to use the extended warranty, so I saved a lot of money by not buying it.

Tesla has already stated they will sell an Extended Warranty for the Model X. I don't believe any owner is at 50K miles... or 4 years ;) just yet. "Take my money, please!" isn't quite necessary.

As i said, my uncle is at 30k and nearing 50k in next 3-4 months. So if there is no extended warranty at the time his warranty expires (50k miles) then fixes will come out of his pocket.

It's been radio silence from Tesla so getting anxious

They are also silent on the Service Policy Plan thats been promised but not yet delivered. Folks with early modelX's are now passing their first year and having to take cars in for service without the advantage of the plan. I dont know what the cost of an annual service is, but the plan was advertised as a cost saving feature. It doesnt do anybody any good if you cant get it.

As i said, my uncle is at 30k and nearing 50k in next 3-4 months. So if there is no extended warranty at the time his warranty expires (50k miles) then fixes will come out of his pocket.

It's been radio silence from Tesla so getting anxious

80K a year? wow. Commercial use I imagine.

In any event, I would think they are looking to accumulate enough statistical info (post early bugs) to price properly.

I personally think Tesla is looking into adding a longer warranty period to the FWDs similar to what they did when the S was having issues with the drive train. I look for them to add an 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty to the FWDs just before announcing the extended warranty plans.

How about the new computer running AP 2.0? I understand the center screen is $4K to replace. I wonder about that computer...

FWD, yes, but the two front door game me a lot of trouble initially and I had my rear hatch go as well. That was fixed, but what would that cost out of warrantee?

My X goes into the SC tomorrow in AM. I have a list of about 6 items, some small, some rendering the car not very usable even (failed door latch, etc.). Some are odd and preventative I hope.

Hopefully all the troubled items are getting weeded out in these first 4 years (I likely won't hit 50K). I actually trust the electronic items like computers a lot more as they typically just last. But, so far with my experience, I'm definitely interested and plan on purchasing the ESA 4 year when released - hopefully for a similar price as the S, or maybe like $500 more or so.

Still waiting as well...