Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neat trick to pass on unlimited supercharging to the next owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I was talking with my coworker this morning about the inventory model s coming with free supercharging but only for the original owner of the car.

She brought up an interesting point, if the original owner sells the car along with his account log in info, the new owner can keep the free supercharging
New owner can just log in and change the password and continue on without ever having to mention to tesla that they aren’t the original owner.

I was talking with my coworker this morning about the inventory model s coming with free supercharging but only for the original owner of the car.

She brought up an interesting point, if the original owner sells the car along with his account log in info, the new owner can keep the free supercharging
New owner can just log in and change the password and continue on without ever having to mention to tesla that they aren’t the original owner.

And the email address..?

All good until the new owner goes to Service Center for some repairs and they want to swipe the Driver License as well as the Credit Card into Tesla's system.
What, I can't send someone with my Tesla to the service center?!?!? Where did you get the information that all service must be paid with the owners credit card only, car can only be dropped off/picked up by the owner, no cash or other people can pay for it?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: RScottyL and AMPd
I had the same question/concern as I plan on gifting/selling my TM3P+ to my son in three years when he drives. I have unliited SC on my car. I think Tesla's policy on this is silly - all the car's features and benefits should stay with the car, regardless of what human has the title.

I agree that the method the OP described is the best workaround I can think of - If the original owner only owns one Tesla, simply have him/her change his email address and phone number on his Tesla account to the new owner's email address / phone #. One problem is that the name on the account will stay as the original owner's, but I think that's just a "cosmetic" issue. As for the service center, the only time they've asked for my ID is when I was given a loaner car, and only for that purpose, as far as I know. I'm sure they don't care who drops off the car or what credit card is used.

I had the same question/concern as I plan on gifting/selling my TM3P+ to my son in three years when he drives. I have unliited SC on my car. I think Tesla's policy on this is silly - all the car's features and benefits should stay with the car, regardless of what human has the title.

I agree that the method the OP described is the best workaround I can think of - If the original owner only owns one Tesla, simply have him/her change his email address and phone number on his Tesla account to the new owner's email address / phone #. One problem is that the name on the account will stay as the original owner's, but I think that's just a "cosmetic" issue. As for the service center, the only time they've asked for my ID is when I was given a loaner car, and only for that purpose, as far as I know. I'm sure they don't care who drops off the car or what credit card is used.

Draft a contract and formally rent the car to your son at whatever price suits you ... you thus retain title and he has use of the vehicle + FUSC for as long as needed. Perfectly legal and no-one can claim any hint of false pretences to obtain services to which one is not entitled.

Draft a contract and formally rent the car to your son at whatever price suits you ... you thus retain title and he has use of the vehicle + FUSC for as long as needed. Perfectly legal and no-one can claim any hint of false pretences to obtain services to which one is not entitled.
Why not simply let your son drive one of your cars. Why bother transferring anything?

Reactions: croman

But if you are renting it out, you are violating the SuperCharger fair use policy by using the car in a commercial venture.

Reactions: whitex

My account also has many other documents on it from the sale. Like my drivers license, etc. not sure I’d want another owner having access. Maybe could ask for file deletion.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Why not simply let your son drive one of your cars. Why bother transferring anything?

Reason to transfer title to son as opposed to just letting him drive the car is to limit liability. Assume parent owns car and let’s the son drive the car and the son causes an accident injuring or killing a third party. The third party can sue the son and the parent (as owner of the car). By titling the car in the son’s name, the parent is immune from liability.

All good until the new owner goes to Service Center for some repairs and they want to swipe the Driver License as well as the Credit Card into Tesla's system.
I’ve had other people take my car in for service and pay for a window replacement
They even got a loaner
I also never had to “swipe” my drivers license into teslas system
The only time they needed my DL is when I was getting a loaner, which again other people have done for me