Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nebraska Tesla Club?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to pay CA sales tax for where I picked it up. When I figured that out, I did the math and was still happy with the decision. Paid 7.75% vs. my NE rate of 7.25 (Lincoln). So paid an extra .5% on 90k. So saved $1500 instead of $2000 by picking up in California. But based on some comments about how long it took to get a car shipped to the midwest, figured might as well pick it up and drive it back.

You do not get a rebate from Nebraska on the delta in tax.

My friend who ordered at the same time had a 5.5% tax rate, so he had his shipped out. Took an extra week but was obviously worth it financially.

Nick

• Helpful
Reactions: Trips
I had to pay CA sales tax for where I picked it up. When I figured that out, I did the math and was still happy with the decision. Paid 7.75% vs. my NE rate of 7.25 (Lincoln). So paid an extra .5% on 90k. So saved $1500 instead of $2000 by picking up in California. But based on some comments about how long it took to get a car shipped to the midwest, figured might as well pick it up and drive it back.

You do not get a rebate from Nebraska on the delta in tax.

My friend who ordered at the same time had a 5.5% tax rate, so he had his shipped out. Took an extra week but was obviously worth it financially.

Nick
Would you have had to pay sales tax on that $2k delivery fee? If so, you saved another $145 by picking it up in person...not to mention a really fun return road trip!

Reactions: nickb411
What a great 24 hours. Yesterday I discovered that Columbus finally installed a Level 2 charger a block away from where I would need it. Then today I got a great look at this blue beauty in Papillion to confirm that I made the right color choice and will be paying the $100 license plate delete fee.

The car was just picked up in Missouri so it was a little dirty but still looked great.

IMG_20180423_135041346_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Abejo_Hombre
Update: Thanks to a generous member of this thread I was able to determine, in fact, that the S is a little too wide for my garage. Going to be pursuing Model 3 reservation - anyone in Omaha area possibly have one I could peek at and test garage fitment before configuring/ordering? Need to ensure position of wall charger is adequate with cable length (going to be using a tool balancer to hang from ceiling).

Beverages and meat in trade!

Question for Nebraska owners....how are you getting service when you need it? Do you go to the service center in Kansas City? Use a ranger? (I've heard there is one in Omaha). I'm just a little concerned about my options with the KC service center 3 hours away and not open on the weekends. Any updates on the legislation to allow Tesla to sell cars in Nebraska? I'm guessing they are waiting for that before they build the service center that's been on their map as "coming soon" for a couple years now.

I'm a Model 3 reservation holder with expected delivery this summer.

Question for Nebraska owners....how are you getting service when you need it? Do you go to the service center in Kansas City? Use a ranger? (I've heard there is one in Omaha). I'm just a little concerned about my options with the KC service center 3 hours away and not open on the weekends.

For the minor service they have a tech in a white service van come to you. I just saw him driving in La Vista last Friday. If they need to take it to KC they will swap you and trailer it there. This might take a little longer then having a service center here but is much more easy.

Any updates on the legislation to allow Tesla to sell cars in Nebraska? I'm guessing they are waiting for that before they build the service center that's been on their map as "coming soon" for a couple years now.

The legislation is dead for this session and they have adjourned. When Tesla spoke on behalf of LB-830 they basically said that they will open a location in Council Bluffs / Carter Lake in Nebraska doesn't get their act together.

I'm a Model 3 reservation holder with expected delivery this summer.

Congrats it will be worth the wait.

I have had my car serviced yearly in Omaha, with little problem. They have always had a loaner (P85 Model S) but I don't know if they will do loaners for Model 3 owners. I know of four different rangers based in Omaha, and they have always been quick to answer my questions or concerns. Last year, during the alignment, a bolt wasn't tightened correctly so I had a "klunk" sound; I got another loaner when they took it back to the alignment place they used, so that wasn't Tesla's fault but they still took care of me and the car. I have been very satisfied with the minimal service I have needed and there are plenty of rangers. I imagine (hope) there will be more as more Teslas show up. I think they said there are 170 Teslas in the Omaha area. We should be getting our Model 3 in the next five or six months.

Thanks for the quick replies! This definitely puts my mind at ease.

I feel like I’m seeing a Tesla almost daily in Omaha now. Either the numbers are growing, or I’m just noticing them more. Still haven’t spotted a Model 3 in the wild around here. I’ll be watching for blue one in this thread!

Got a date for my Model 3 delivery today - May 26th! Had the option to pick it up on the 21st, but had to push it back to a Saturday. After over 2 years, what's another few days? I'll be picking up at the Kansas City service center. Super impressed with the delivery scheduling process - our ISA was sure to make sure they had down the name of our kids to make sure they were greeted properly at the delivery.

Anybody else in the Lincoln area with a Model 3 make the trek from KC yet?

Got a date for my Model 3 delivery today - May 26th! Had the option to pick it up on the 21st, but had to push it back to a Saturday. After over 2 years, what's another few days? I'll be picking up at the Kansas City service center. Super impressed with the delivery scheduling process - our ISA was sure to make sure they had down the name of our kids to make sure they were greeted properly at the delivery.

Be sure to let them know you want a full charge so you can make it back to Lincoln on one charge. Remember, Rated Miles != Actual Miles.

Another option is to go home via the Topeka supercharger. It's a longer trip, but you won't have any range anxiety and you'll get to try your first supercharger.

Should be a supercharger in St. Joseph sometime soon.

With a full charge (assuming you went 310 mile range) you will have no problems. Particularly when its warm.

I'll keep an eye out for your car around town. What color is it?

Nick

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing it around Lincoln as well!

We may need to schedule a Omaha/Lincoln Tesla meetup so some of us that are on the wait list can see one up close!

Be sure to let them know you want a full charge so you can make it back to Lincoln on one charge. Remember, Rated Miles != Actual Miles.

Another option is to go home via the Topeka supercharger. It's a longer trip, but you won't have any range anxiety and you'll get to try your first supercharger.

Yep. I drive a Leaf right now, so probably more sensitive to the "Rated Miles != Actual Miles" then typical :(

I'll be sure to ask them to make sure it's at 100% for the drive home. I considered Topeka as an option, but would prefer to skip that since my wife will be following in a different car.

I'll keep an eye out for your car around town. What color is it?
The St. Joe location would definitely help. That whole I-29 corridor is pretty barren at the moment.

Color-wise, I picked the red multi-coat with the aero wheels.

Reactions: HyperionMark
Just noticed this thread. As I mentioned to Omaha/McFly in another thread, I just got my VIN last night, awaiting contact from ISA.

Sounds like we're going to see 3's driving around real soon now. I too have selected red with aero wheels (wife and I fell in love with one in Scottsdale showroom). :)

Thanks, hopefully 'real soon now'. :)

Hey 'Omaha', I understand you're picking up your car this weekend. I still don't know what different hoops Tesla is having us jump there as far as Nebraska new car sales laws are concerned (haven't followed the legislation change effort closely enough). Maybe I misread it somewhere, but I was almost thinking I read that the car might have to initially be 'titled' out of state or something? Is this true? and if true, would this be Missouri then?

Thanks, hopefully 'real soon now'. :)

Hey 'Omaha', I understand you're picking up your car this weekend. I still don't know what different hoops Tesla is having us jump there as far as Nebraska new car sales laws are concerned (haven't followed the legislation change effort closely enough). Maybe I misread it somewhere, but I was almost thinking I read that the car might have to initially be 'titled' out of state or something? Is this true? and if true, would this be Missouri then?

That is not true. You are required to license the car in Nebraska, and there should be no problem with that. I believe Missouri will allow you to take delivery of the car there, and delay paying sales tax until you register the car in Nebraska.

The Nebraska issue with Tesla is that they are not allowed to operate inside the state (service center or showroom). So therefore you also cannot lease a Tesla in Nebraska because they do not have a NE license to sell cars inside the state. As with most states, this will get resolved in the next few years.

Nick

A couple things about going from KC to Omaha (which would be about the same as going from KC to Lincoln).
1. In good weather with full charge you should have no problem for the trip with a current Model 3 (aren't they all 310/large batteries at this point?).
2. I have gotten a CHAdeMO adapter so I can charge quickly many places in KC (for free, so far) and in St. Joe on the way to and from Omaha (you wouldn't have to do this most all of the time but see 3 below).
3. Early on for me, 2 1/2 years ago, I tried to get home from KC with four adults, four dogs (all small), some luggage, during a terrible storm (rain turned to sleet, the sleet built up on the car, making it heavier, no one was going over 50 at some point on I-29). I have an 85D, and because of all those circumstances mentioned above, we stopped in St. Joe (to slow charge for an hour, I didn't have CHAdeMO adapter yet, but this is the reason I got it), then we stopped in Nebraska City (to slow charge, as I recall, for two hours) because I couldn't make it with my battery that at that time said the car would go 265 miles. So be careful about a distance of about 200 mi (about what it is from KC to Omaha or Lincoln) in bad weather with a heavy load.
Please enjoy your new Model 3s. I am waiting for four wheel drive on the Model 3 before I take them up on my order (from the first day) and, perhaps, the small battery, since I have an 85D. I could have had one for awhile now, but decided to wait for those features.