Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Guidance on Ordering Model S- 75 vs 100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all your suggestions and experiences, folks.

I just ordered my Tesla! Went with 75 and skipped PUP as the only thing of value for me is the upgraded sound. For that, I will add that sub and perhaps the Amp (aftermarket), once I take the delivery. Excited and can't wait to get rid of my MB GL SUV and drive the Tesla!
Congrats! Hope you get your hands on it soon :)

Reactions: PrGrPa
I’m debating the same question 75 or 100 but the timing of the purchase now has some urgency.

An important consideration for me this month is that the bonus of free supercharging from a referral expires on the 31st January (I am told by my Tesla representative.)

So whether 75 or 100 I’d like to place the order before then!

Reactions: nycmike
@Cripps- Yeah, I'd in fact say that you should leave a buffer and order a week before end of Jan to ensure that you def. get the car by March as that's the other stipulation too. Order by Jan 31st and take delivery by March 31st. Go ahead and ask your questions. Happy to help out..

Last edited:
I’m debating the same question 75 or 100 but the timing of the purchase now has some urgency.

An important consideration for me this month is that the bonus of free supercharging from a referral expires on the 31st January (I am told by my Tesla representative.)

So whether 75 or 100 I’d like to place the order before then!

Just note that Tesla has dangled the 'free supercharging is going away at the end of the quarter' to goose sales in the past, at the end of 2016. And then brought it back afterwards. You shouldn't assume that what they say today is what they'll say in a few months, so I wouldn't let that rush you into a decision if you truly aren't ready.

But it's a great car and if you want to buy, then go ahead!

I have an appointment with Tesla this Tuesday to look for a new MS. I test drove a 75D a few days ago. To be honest, I wasn't really impressed with the range when going a little over the speed limit (which i usually do) on the highway (140~150 km/h). We have family living 220km away from us, and at that speed the 75d will probably not reach the destination without charging somewhere along the way.

Keep in mind I currently drive an ICE with a 75 liter gas tank, that is almost twice the usual contents, so I might have been range spoiled all those years.

My daily commute is much shorter and even a MS 60 would be more than enough, but occasionally I have to make ~220km (~2 hour) trips.

Now, I tend to focus on 'can i get there in one charge', and with a 100d the answer would be yes. However, I have to remind myself that getting there is one, but you have to get back as well. The public chargers here are usually just 3,7kW to 11kW, but even with a 22kW charger I would have to stay at my destination for 5 to 10 hours. If I do not intend to stay there for that long, I will have to supercharge somewhere anyway and then the added kWh's of a 100 instead of 75 might not be so useful after all.

I agreed with the family living 220km away that we will install an 11 kW charger there as well so I can get back and forth in 1 trip by charging at the destination(s), but if that was not possible I would have chosen a 85d because I'd have to SC anyway.

So, in my case the justification is that I can reach family in one trip, charge there, and get back home in one charge as well. If that wouldn't be the case I'd have chosen an 85d. For the other trips the public charging infrastructure (city managed charge spots, not SCs) isn't speedy enough for my situation, and a 85d would have been sufficient to reach a SC along the way.

• Informative
For me, the daily trips are going to approx 50 miles and weekends 100-125 at best. So no worries there, even at 90% charge. We take road trips about once a Qtr. However, I was leaning towards 100D, just to be on a safe side honestly and to keep the car a more desirable option, from a resale option. However, that's not the right way to think I realize as %wise, both would depreciate or reduce in value equally. Typically, I've always gone with highest options for most cars but the outcome isn't as expensive too. It's surely a tough choice. Also need to think about PUP and Sunroof. I'm leaning towards glass roof as it looks cooler to me. Don't use sunroof much expect few days in a year. How many folks went with Sunroof and did you use it? Don't care about XM Radio.

I'm surely going to decide and be done with this by this weekend :)
Same here. I had NO desire to have a sunroof. I've had sunroofs in all of my cars only because I bought cars with all the options, but I almost never used the sunroofs. Maybe once a year and then I hate it being open and I shut it right away. I couldn't care less about XM radio, either! I hate satellite radio. They TALK TOO MUCH plus I'm constantly switching stations because I don't like the "next" song. I like playing my Apple music via Bluetooth. It's MY music that I selected so it's only songs I like. As for the battery, my 2016 Avalon Limited Hybrid that I purchased in Feb. of 2016 only has 8900 miles on it, so I don't drive a whole heckuva lot. I may make some road trips in the new Tesla but I am certain the 75 battery will suffice. Only thing is, I am kinda a "lead foot" so I will have to watch that.

Folks,

I'm looking to order a Model S within a few days. I was set on ordering a 75 primarily due to cost difference of (19.5K) to get to 100. That's honestly a lot for non-business owners who can write-off some expenses. I was also hoping that at some point, Tesla may offer a battery upgrade program that allowed me to upgrade from 75 to 100 at a reduced price (as battery prices come down) or use the same money (20K) to go to 125 (assumption) instead of 100, when battery sizes become bigger.

Has anyone asked these questions to their local dealer? If so, what answers do you get? My guy says that the configuration of two battery cells is very different and the 75 may never get to 100 but rather to 90. Any ideas?

As you can tell, I'm quite confused on whether to order 75 vs 100. Would love to get 100 but cannot seem to justify the 19.5K for those extra 65 miles :) How did you non-business owners justify this upgrade?

Thanks in advance for your answers.....

My thinking was similar to yours. Sure, the 100D is quicker. And it has more range. And it charges faster than the 75. But the price difference is substantial. In the end I decided that the price difference over the 3-4 years I’d have the car was too high to justify even if I factored in the extra time, teas, coffees, and snacks of those supercharger stops on long journeys. The 100D offered an advantage of more range when I reached a charger-free destination but even that seemed not quite worth it to me. Hopefully, someone will have a wall socket I can poach for a few hours.

I can see that folks in less temperate climates than England could make a claim for the cold weather effects needing the extra range buffer.

Get the car that suits your needs and wallet today. By the time you come to change it things should be even better. I’m hoping to be able to get a P200D model X for the price of a used Ford Fiesta in a few years ;)

[edit] just saw that @dcmetro ordered already on Jan 10. Did you get Enhanced AutoPilot? That was the only option I took on my 75D aside from paint colour. I also skipped the PUP. While skipping the rear seat heaters elicited some complaints from my children I figured they’d never had them before so couldn’t claim to miss them. The enhanced stereo didn’t sound significantly better to me than the regular one. And I figured that the HEPA filter wasn’t necessary. Though reading the modding thread I’m wondering about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIL
My thinking was similar to yours. Sure, the 100D is quicker. And it has more range. And it charges faster than the 75. But the price difference is substantial. In the end I decided that the price difference over the 3-4 years I’d have the car was too high to justify even if I factored in the extra time, teas, coffees, and snacks of those supercharger stops on long journeys. The 100D offered an advantage of more range when I reached a charger-free destination but even that seemed not quite worth it to me. Hopefully, someone will have a wall socket I can poach for a few hours.

I can see that folks in less temperate climates than England could make a claim for the cold weather effects needing the extra range buffer.

Get the car that suits your needs and wallet today. By the time you come to change it things should be even better. I’m hoping to be able to get a P200D model X for the price of a used Ford Fiesta in a few years ;)

[edit] just saw that @dcmetro ordered already on Jan 10. Did you get Enhanced AutoPilot? That was the only option I took on my 75D aside from paint colour. I also skipped the PUP. While skipping the rear seat heaters elicited some complaints from my children I figured they’d never had them before so couldn’t claim to miss them. The enhanced stereo didn’t sound significantly better to me than the regular one. And I figured that the HEPA filter wasn’t necessary. Though reading the modding thread I’m wondering about that.

Congrats! Yes, I did get AP. I think that's one of many feature that makes this car unique and enjoyable. Def. plan to use it.

In my case, I had a 75D on order and found a price adjusted ($18k) 100D and jumped.

I drive 30-60 miles per day, but on days where we have problems at work I could easily wind up driving 100-200.

Based on my limited experience (picked up the car in November ‘17) I would have been just fine w a 75D.

I will note though: If you live in an area with 40 degree or less weather in the winter, please be prepared for up to 40% efficiency degradation.

In my case, I had a 75D on order and found a price adjusted ($18k) 100D and jumped.

I drive 30-60 miles per day, but on days where we have problems at work I could easily wind up driving 100-200.

Based on my limited experience (picked up the car in November ‘17) I would have been just fine w a 75D.

I will note though: If you live in an area with 40 degree or less weather in the winter, please be prepared for up to 40% efficiency degradation.

Wow, I would jump too at that price. In fact, I would jump at 10K reduction too...though given the inventory, I know it's not going to happen for me