Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to get tires rotated, suggestions? [in NorCal]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trevor B

Apr 2, 2016
USA
I'm coming up on 12k miles, should I just take it to the service center and not have to worry about having the right setup etc elsewhere?

I saw something that said it was $35 (at the service center). Still true?

If not the service center, any recommendations (San Francisco/Berkeley).

Thanks.

My suggestion is spend a couple bucks on a tire depth gauge. Measure across the tire on all 4 corners and see how your wear is.

When I measured mine at 10k miles wear was quite even, so no need to waste $ rotating.

If it's free and you're already going to a shop for something, great. But making a special, paid, trip just for that- especially if you're not finding uneven wear?

Many, including Click and Clack, and BMW, suggest rotating is largely a waste of money-

You should do this service only if you can do it for $20 or less, in our opinion.

The financial benefit of rotating tires is that you'll increase the useful life of the tire. But if you pay more than about $20, you'll probably wipe out any savings you might have gained.

My suggestion is spend a couple bucks on a tire depth gauge. Measure across the tire on all 4 corners and see how your wear is.

When I measured mine at 10k miles wear was quite even, so no need to waste $ rotating.

If it's free and you're already going to a shop for something, great. But making a special, paid, trip just for that- especially if you're not finding uneven wear?

Many, including Click and Clack, and BMW, suggest rotating is largely a waste of money-

I disagree with this school of though but for a completely different reason. I have found that because of the torque/weight/performance of the Tesla I burn through tires in about half of the warranty period. When replacing tires under warranty one of the criteria is that you rotate tires on a regular basis. For this reason I rotate every 5000 miles for free at Americas Tire (Discount Tire in some places) and I have been paying half price for my tires since warranty covers the other half.

If the cars didn't chew up tires so quickly (or maybe I drive to quickly) then I would say yes, monitor and rotate at higher intervals.

Reactions: chrstna4
I'm in San Jose, CA - so just a bit south from San Francisco/Berkeley.

I made an appointment through the Tesla app for mobile service.

The service guy arrived on time (texted me when he was close), checked the treadwear, rotated the tires and adjusted the air pressure.

Took about 20-30 minutes. Total cost was about $35.00.

Easy.

Reactions: Trevor B
Discount/American Tires. They do it for free, and atleast for my local American Tires, they know what they are doing when rotating tires for Tesla's.
One would certainly assume that they know what they’re doing. However, only 1 out of 3 times that I’ve had my tires swapped there have they actually lifted the car according to Tesla spec (using pucks) on their own. The most recent time I had to stop them before they lifted with a frame lift, and supply them with my own set of pucks, to get it done to spec. Better buy a set of these and keep them on hand, just in case.

BASENOR Tesla Model 3 Model Y... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YKK7LKH?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

At 10K miles, I called Tesla road service. They came to my house, rotated the tires and went away all in about 40 minutes. As I recall, the cost was about $120. Might be off on that by a bit. Easy peasy. Job well done.

he probably smoked a cigarette and checked facebook on his smartphone if it took him 40min. rotating tires takes 20min tops and $120 for that is nuts...

One would certainly assume that they know what they’re doing. However, only 1 out of 3 times that I’ve had my tires swapped there have they actually lifted the car according to Tesla spec (using pucks) on their own. The most recent time I had to stop them before they lifted with a frame lift, and supply them with my own set of pucks, to get it done to spec. Better buy a set of these and keep them on hand, just in case.

BASENOR Tesla Model 3 Model Y... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YKK7LKH?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Wow, that's terrible. The time where I got my rotation done from them, they were using pucks and when I asked them how much torque did they apply for tightening the lug nuts, they did it at 130 ft/lbs (close enough to 129 ft/lbs).

That reminds me I should rotate my tires soon, it's been another 8 thousand miles since last rotation.

Literally any tire shop.
Literally, not just any tire shop.
Some shops don't know about "jack mode".
Some shops use impact wrenches which destroy your lug nuts.
Some shops don't know how to properly use Tesla jack points and will damage your car.
Some shops won't properly torque your lug nuts.

I've had all of these bad experiences. Now I DIY. Easy and I know it's done right.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Some shops don't know how to properly use Tesla jack points and will damage your car.

I've had all of these bad experiences. Now I DIY. Easy and I know it's done right.
If you say so.

Sure, incompetence abounds, but at the end of the day, it's just a car. Air suspension and "jack modes" are not a novelty in 2021. There are four very well marked lift points. Any shop that can competently rotate a set of tires on a Honda Civic can do so on a Tesla. They aren't special unicorns or fragile spaceships.

Reactions: bmah
Discount/American Tires. They do it for free, and atleast for my local American Tires, they know what they are doing when rotating tires for Tesla's.
I think they only do that if you've either bought the tires from them or you buy a road hazard tire warranty from them (it was $96 for 4 tires for our Volt). And if Tesla's not doing the rotations make sure they or you have the "pucks" that are inserted in the frame so that the jack doesn't put pressure on the battery when lifting the car.

agreed on DIY. super easy and the tools you need you should have anyway - good investment. plus as you said... you can torque the wheels to exact spec and take a good look at your vehicle

Reactions: mspohr
If you say so.

Sure, incompetence abounds, but at the end of the day, it's just a car. Air suspension and "jack modes" are not a novelty in 2021. There are four very well marked lift points. Any shop that can competently rotate a set of tires on a Honda Civic can do so on a Tesla. They aren't special unicorns or fragile spaceships.
I have to say I've never heard of impact wrenches destroying lug nuts. I've had tire shops rotate my tires for years and impact wrenches seem to be a universal tool for that. Nor have I ever seen lug nuts destroyed by them.

Reactions: ucmndd