Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Netzero App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the report, I've gotten a similar one before, but couldn't get to the bottom of it. I assume that:
1) The Tesla app shows this correctly, with both sections marked as vehicle usage (red).
2) There are two cars involved.

For some reason, there's some non-determinism in Tesla's responses in this case. To be able to investigate this further, I'd need you to do some poking at the Tesla app. If you're up for it, please DM me.
I have 2 cars and have the same issue. Happy to do any testing you require.

Thanks for the report, I'll fix that.

Related: in addition to iOS & Android, you can now also run the app on web: Netzero
The web version works on any platform with a web browser, (most) any screen size.
The last update fixed both issues. And it’s also nice that we can now check diagnostics without having to enter the IP address.

Excellent job and thank you.

Good job!
  1. I'm using this on a Mac instead of iOS. I'd love it if there were just a few tiny little Mac desktop fixes or a Catalyst version.
    1. Sometimes resizing the window doesn't redraw the graphs. Wait for an update and then it redraws
    2. Would love it if it used a sidebar - I think on iPad it would be nice too
    3. Would love to scrub the graphs with my pointer to get details at a specific time
  2. I don't see my vehicles at all. Not sure why. I have two cars, 2 PW3s, and a Tesla solar array.
  3. I'm not quite sure how to add array information for my setup. I've got 47 panels with a 7 arrays, different roof pitches, and 2 PW3s, and my first attempt basically said I would make a tiny fraction of what I am actually getting. Might be helpful to do it spreadsheet style also since if I have to add it 7 times, its annoying to keep entering some info over and over.

Good job!
  1. I'm using this on a Mac instead of iOS. I'd love it if there were just a few tiny little Mac desktop fixes or a Catalyst version.
    1. Sometimes resizing the window doesn't redraw the graphs. Wait for an update and then it redraws
    2. Would love it if it used a sidebar - I think on iPad it would be nice too
    3. Would love to scrub the graphs with my pointer to get details at a specific time
  2. I don't see my vehicles at all. Not sure why. I have two cars, 2 PW3s, and a Tesla solar array.
  3. I'm not quite sure how to add array information for my setup. I've got 47 panels with a 7 arrays, different roof pitches, and 2 PW3s, and my first attempt basically said I would make a tiny fraction of what I am actually getting. Might be helpful to do it spreadsheet style also since if I have to add it 7 times, its annoying to keep entering some info over and over.

Thanks for the feedback!

1.1: This is unfortunately a known bug in the framework I'm using (react-native), I'll see if I can work around it. If you just switch to a different window and back (⌘-tab twice) it should resolve itself.
1.2: I'll consider this, the navigation definitely needs a revamp with all the new functionality.
1.3: If you click and hold, you'll be able to scrub (this matches the tap and hold behavior on mobile).
2. I'm aware of missing vehicle information for some users. I'm still investigating this, but it might be that Tesla doesn't include that information in the new Fleet API.
3. Sounds like a bug, can you send me a screenshot of your array configuration screen? You can use the feedback link in the app.

the automation updates are great!
Is there a possibility of future ‘export XX kWh’ from powerwall /then/ turn off export?

Thanks, can you describe your use-case a bit more? Do you turn on Export Everything at some point in the day, and would then like to turn it off based on battery charge?

In general, it will be hard to satisfy all use-cases with an app UI, which is why I added the Developer Access option. With IFTTT you could build more complicated flows (without writing code), or if you're comfortable write your own scripts.

Thanks, can you describe your use-case a bit more? Do you turn on Export Everything at some point in the day, and would then like to turn it off based on battery charge?

In general, it will be hard to satisfy all use-cases with an app UI, which is why I added the Developer Access option. With IFTTT you could build more complicated flows (without writing code), or if you're comfortable write your own scripts.
Thanks for the reply.

TOU plan, non VPP config
1. Peak time
2. Export everything, set 35kWh from the powerwall to grid.
3. Back to self powered, avoiding peak time in its entirety via powerwall remaining energy.

I think I’ve figured my bandaid out via suggested options.

Reactions: offandonagain
@offandonagain - I just had my power wall turned up a week or so ago. Weather has been poor, so I'm still trying to find a rythem for the automation sequences. So far I think this is a great app!

A couple of quick questions about your app:

1) I have NetZero installed on a few of my devices (iOS). I can manage my Automations on one device, but the other device just shows the Token API details when I choose automation from the drop down. Is it possible to see/manage all of your automations on multiple devices?
2) Have you considered adding Tesla Vehicle automations? Such when to stop/start charging or charge rates based on battery levels, TOU rates and possibly even weather predicted for the day? I could see that being of value, but I'm not sure of the complexity to add some of that stuff. Maybe even better than Charge on Solar. ;)

Thanks for the feedback! You should see Powerwall Automation on all devices, just make sure they're all running the latest version. The latest version is 1.61 and it is shown at the bottom of the Account menu. You might need to update the app manually by going to the App Store, finding the app, and tapping Update.

Netzero doesn't have access to your vehicles currently (other than some limited information about charging), so you'd need to combine it with another app like Tessie. With those two, you should be able to get charging automation working with IFTTT, or (if you're comfortable writing some code) with API tokens.

One automation that does work currently and some people are using with just Netzero and some scripting: bumping backup reserve to 100% when the car is charging. This allows you to run in Self-Powered mode without draining the battery.

Reactions: Koolio46
Thanks for the feedback! You should see Powerwall Automation on all devices, just make sure they're all running the latest version. The latest version is 1.61 and it is shown at the bottom of the Account menu. You might need to update the app manually by going to the App Store, finding the app, and tapping Update.

I'll check that. Thanks!

Netzero doesn't have access to your vehicles currently (other than some limited information about charging), so you'd need to combine it with another app like Tessie. With those two, you should be able to get charging automation working with IFTTT, or (if you're comfortable writing some code) with API tokens.

One automation that does work currently and some people are using with just Netzero and some scripting: bumping backup reserve to 100% when the car is charging. This allows you to run in Self-Powered mode without draining the battery.

This is one of the scenarios I'm looking at. From a coding perspective, I've not written code since Pascal and C++ (aside from some PowerShell and BATch scripting). ;) I've never looked at IFTTT coding or automation, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

How does NetZero identify when the car is charging? Just based on KW consumption? Where does the IFTTT "script" actually live and run from? Is it a cloud service? Just unfamiliar (I should probably just google it for the details).

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! You should see Powerwall Automation on all devices, just make sure they're all running the latest version. The latest version is 1.61 and it is shown at the bottom of the Account menu. You might need to update the app manually by going to the App Store, finding the app, and tapping Update..

Thank you!! This worked for me.

Would it be possible to sort the automations based on the time they are schedule to run? Or possibly manually?

How does NetZero identify when the car is charging? Just based on KW consumption? Where does the IFTTT "script" actually live and run from? Is it a cloud service? Just unfamiliar (I should probably just google it for the details).

If you have a Wall Connector, the current status and charging rate will be included in Netzero's /config API call (which is used for both IFTTT and scripting). If you have a different charger, you can use a heuristic approach of using the kW consumption. IFTTT scripts run in their cloud. If you want to give this a try, use the Feedback option in Netzero to connect via email and I can help from there.

Wanted to share kudos to @offandonagain for writing an excellent Powerwall companion app. I was using it to download accurate usage data (Tesla app still gives me erroneous Grid export values). But the Powerwall automation feature added a couple weeks ago is truly awesome. (Is this the only iOS/Android app that allows automation?) Now I can customize my Powerwall's behavior exactly how I like for my use case. Been running without issues for a week now. Great job!

On the automation section would it be possible to add an "if charging" yes/no to the task there, without having to resort to IFTTT logic? Just a thought.

Yes, I will likely add event based automation in the future: car starts/stops charging, Powerwall full/at reserve, weather, etc.

The app is getting better, thanks. I'm going to ditch my PW dashboard which I have to run on a separate pc. Just curious what/how people are using the powerwall automation for.

Powerwall automation is getting a lot more use than I expected :) There's a variety of use cases:
  1. Car charging when in Self-Powered mode (a simple "bump reserve to 100%" at night when car is scheduled to charge works well enough for some).
  2. Time-Based Control fine tuning.
  3. More control over when grid charging kicks in and when it stops.

Reactions: KHYE
Yes, I will likely add event based automation in the future: car starts/stops charging, Powerwall full/at reserve, weather, etc.

Powerwall automation is getting a lot more use than I expected :) There's a variety of use cases:
  1. Car charging when in Self-Powered mode (a simple "bump reserve to 100%" at night when car is scheduled to charge works well enough for some).
  2. Time-Based Control fine tuning.
  3. More control over when grid charging kicks in and when it stops.
Look forward to event based automation...

In my case I am a net exporter, so my somewhat competing PW goals are 1) never consume from grid during peak or shoulder 2) minimize cycles on the PW to hopefully increase system longevity. I use Time Based Control with optimized buy-sell prices for my CCA utility rates in the Tesla app. I setup the below automations in NetZero, including a grid-charge top-off right before 3pm if necessary (useful 10-15x a year during winter rainy season)...
IMG_4308.jpeg

The app is getting better, thanks. I'm going to ditch my PW dashboard which I have to run on a separate pc. Just curious what/how people are using the powerwall automation for.
I'm in a very similar boat the the response above. I'm still pending my PTO, so I cannot export to the grid at any time from the Powerwall, but I can from my solar.

I have the following rules:

@ 10am set reserve to 30% -- This will ensure I don't go below 30% when 4pm comes around (peak for me is 4pm-9pm).
@ 4pm set reserve to 15% -- This will ensure I consume whatever is above 15% and 30 -> 15% will last me 5 hours (so far, I'm only in week 2).

If I could add logic to "Car charging" = YES
@ 9:15pm - if car charging, set reserve to 90% (pull from the grid, don't drain my batteries)
@ Car Stops Charging (12am - 3am), set reserve to 20% (to consume the battery overnight)
@ Car Starts Charging (4am - 5am) set reserve to 90% (pull from the grid, don't drain my batteries)
@ Car Stops Charging, set reserve to 20% (to consume the battery overnight)

My situation is complicated because I have two EVs. Both share the Tesla Charger. One charges at 9pm (beginning of off peak), and I swap the cable when I go to sleep, so my commuter car is charged up and ready to go by 7:00am the next morning (charge by 7:00am is the setting). Obviously I feel I would be better served with IFTTT as mentioned, but I would rather just keep all of the logic in one place.

Edit: Kudos to @offandonagain for adding "Pause" as an option to each of the automations. Previously they would have to be deleted if you didn't want them to run. Nice touch.

Last edited:
I'm also a net exporter and will be following this thread. What I'd be hoping to achieve:

3pm to midnight - Prioritize solar generation to self consumption and send excess to grid. Run off Powerwalls when solar generation is insufficient to power home.

Midnight to sunrise - Continue to run off my Powerwalls until I hit my reserve.

Sunrise to 3pm - Prioritize solar production to self consumption. Send excess solar to Powerwalls until full then send excess solar to grid. If Powerwalls aren't going to be fully recharged by 3pm then engage grid charging to get them fully charged by 3pm.

What I'd really like is a self consumption mode that would never draw from the grid between 4-9pm and only draw from the grid between 3-4pm and 9pm to midnight if necessary to avoid drawing from the grid between 4-9pm.

Looking forward to seeing what other people do.

Last edited: