Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nevada Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, Cottonwood, the junction of Utah 36 and I-80 does have some amenities within a short distance from I-80. From Tooele to Green River via Price on US6 would be doable in spring through fall in an 85, but not during the winter and certainly not with a 60. Those drivers would have to detour to Nephi for a charge. Model S85 could avoid Richfield and make Green River directly via US50, but S60 drivers would have to charge in Richfield as well.

My two cents for Supercharger locations near cities like Salt Lake City: This town is a convergence for east-west travelers along I-80, north-south travelers along I-15, Pacific Northwest travelers using I-84, and others using US40 to and from Dinosaur. I think that it makes more sense to have Superchargers surrounding Salt Lake--Nephi is established. Tooele to the west, Evanston WY to the east, Tremonton or Brigham City UT to the north near the I15/I84 split, and maybe Heber City to the east so folks can bypass SLC from the south and east if they choose.

(As a parenthesis, have you all noticed that all the highways in Utah lead to Salt Lake City or Provo? Until I-70 was completed in the '70s east-west travel was almost impossible!)

Although not on their map, one could imagine Tesla setting up a supercharger at their Gigafactory in the next couple of years as well. Besides I-80 traffic, it could also be used for N-S traffic on US 395.

I wonder if the new S85D, w/295 mile range, could make it from their Fremont factory to the Gigafactory site in one charge? Evtripplanner says it would be a very close call. The return trip looks like no problem even with a regular S85. (301 rated miles Fremont->Sparks vs 248 rated miles Sparks->Fremont.)

Although not on their map, one could imagine Tesla setting up a supercharger at their Gigafactory in the next couple of years as well. Besides I-80 traffic, it could also be used for N-S traffic on US 395.

I wonder if the new S85D, w/295 mile range, could make it from their Fremont factory to the Gigafactory site in one charge? Evtripplanner says it would be a very close call. The return trip looks like no problem even with a regular S85. (301 rated miles Fremont->Sparks vs 248 rated miles Sparks->Fremont.)

But you've got Vacaville and Roseville and Truckee in between. And you NEED to supercharge due to going up and over the Donner Summit. Truckee is only 45 miles from the Gigafactory.

The Giga Factory would be a 40 mile detour for US 395 traffic, 20 miles each way. A supercharger in Sparks or Reno someday would be great.

GSP

Cool, but 196 miles from Elko? We'd still need one in Winnemucca then...

Absolutely!

Here is my current best estimate at the I-80 route from California across Nevada into Utah: 10199 Frates Ln, Truckee, CA 96161 to 2025 S Main St, Nephi, UT 84648 - Google Maps:

I-80.png

Nice distances across the desert, and with a little jog, on across America on I-70.