Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2 year lease offer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SD_Engnr

Mar 24, 2016
San Diego
I've been told there's a new 2 year lease offer coming out soon. Anyone else hear this? I'm thinking it's another way to help people bridge the gap until the Model 3 is delivered. Interested in the terms, though I'm not a fan of leasing.

I just got the email. Trying to figure out the catch.

A 2-year lease option is one of our most popular requests. We listened and are launching a limited time test of a 2-year lease on Model Sand Model X. Starting at only $593/month (details here), our new 2-year lease program was designed just for you to drive electric today, and is available on all Model S and X orders placed by September 12th.

For additional savings, combine this offer with the Tesla Referral Program and apply a $1,000 credit towards your configuration. Just get the special personal code of any Tesla owner and enter it at the time of order.

It’s never been more affordable to experience the exhilarating performance and extraordinary safety of the groundbreaking Tesla Model S sedan and Model X SUV. With the best safety ratings of any car ever built and equipped with driver assistance Autopilot features that steer, change lanes and control speed, Tesla’s zero-emissions vehicles have revolutionized the modern driving experience.

Yes! What I have been waiting for.

A 2-year lease on a stripped 60 will be CHEAPER than a 3-year lease despite the higher depreciation early on, because the tax credit is spread over fewer months. (Though I think you pay the same up front, so total monthly costs may end up close. Of course state issues like taxes matter too). It is not enough to make a loaded P90D cheaper over the shorter term - too much depreciation - but you get to change cars sooner (if that is what you want), and the gap is smaller. Plus you are making the high payments for a shorter period if time, if your plan is to get in to a cheaper car like the Model 3.

And, of course, the timing to get in to a Model 3 is better. Yay.

Can I still do this if I already placed my order, but car is not in production yet?

My order was placed on 7/4, order confirmed on 7/10 or 7/11, VIN assigned 7/17
I think you might be able to do it. You allowed to change how you pay for it.

Too late for me though, picking up 3-year lease today!
Damn, I would have probably done this.

Two year lease offer details states that must be ordered by Sept 12th. So speculation that something new may be announced the next day?

That is true, this seems like move to entice folks on the sidelines wondering about AP 2.0 or P100D or M3 to place orders right away or prepone their deliveries.

Wondering though, what that does to the CPO market in Oct-Nov 2018 time frame. Lots of used Model S and X with old AP tech and battery? Perhaps they retrofit it with new hardware and battery and sell it again at a higher premium. Genius!!

I think these cars must have AP 2.0 hardware, or the resale value for Tesla after 2 years would be too low. I assume

1) Fourth quarter demand is weak, and
2) Demand for S/X will be reinvigorated with AP 2.0 release.

This lease may be a good deal. If these cars have the old hardware then Tesla sales have really tanked by people waiting.