Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 90D showing 300m range at 100%, is this typical?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 90D from December 2016 showed 295 miles upon delivery and the last time I charged it to 100% it showed 296 miles. Perhaps they've changed the estimation algorithms slightly since then. I'd think 300 miles could be possible. I'll be doing a road trip next month and will charge to 100% again and report back. Maybe mine will show 300 miles too. :) My 90% still hovers right around 266/267 so 100% could be 297 now.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be concern if the range changes +/- within the 2%-4% margin weekly or monthly. It all variable based upon your driving habit, weather conditions, and battery conditioning....

I see my 70D goes up and down from 225 - 232 at 100% through out the year.

For you getting over 280 is sweet as it is :)

Maybe the extra something will be range increase (pure speculation) but recently my MX power usage has improved at all points of driving, range on and off, hot and not so hot weather, uphill downhill (and with green eggs and ham). To further this conspiracy, my lifetime wh/mile for about 19k miles was 355, and now after recent update a month ago is now lifetime 350. While not a big change, if it was truly an average, then the last 2k miles were much more efficient.

My 90D from December 2016 showed 295 miles upon delivery and the last time I charged it to 100% it showed 296 miles. Perhaps they've changed the estimation algorithms slightly since then. I'd think 300 miles could be possible. I'll be doing a road trip next month and will charge to 100% again and report back. Maybe mine will show 300 miles too. :) My 90% still hovers right around 266/267 so 100% could be 297 now.

Can you share your battery pack part number on your MS 90D? I have a Dec 2016 90D that is at 260 miles at 90%. Not really complaining...just curious.

always thought it was either 286 or 294 based on where you look. I just picked up the car yesterday and it was showing 300m range (not ideal, i checked) when i left the show room at 100%.

keywords highlighted

When the car is new new it hasn't learned your battery yet. It's an optimistic algorithm.

You'll beat it into submission of what is real after some drive and charge cycles.

No miracle here. Move along.

I wouldn't be concern if the range changes +/- within the 2%-4% margin weekly or monthly. It all variable based upon your driving habit, weather conditions, and battery conditioning....

I see my 70D goes up and down from 225 - 232 at 100% through out the year.

For you getting over 280 is sweet as it is :)
No, no no. For the millionth time estimated range on the display has nothing to do with driving habits or conditions. It is directly proportional to the energy available in the battery, as confirmed by @wk057.

Reactions: BlueRocket
always thought it was either 286 or 294 based on where you look. I just picked up the car yesterday and it was showing 300m range (not ideal, i checked) when i left the show room at 100%.
The cars display of range is totally unreliable. My 2016 S90D always says 275 miles if 100% charged. But my actual range is about 200 miles. That is 72% of predicted. So I simply change the display to show % charged and multiply by 2 to get the real range.

Yeah I wouldn't read too much into the rated range. As you get more experience you will like to use the percentage a lot more.

As for this case the rated range is not what you will get.

Point of data. I just took a trip and drove from winnemuca supercharger to Boise Idaho. I charged to 100% which was 274 miles. When I left it said 273.

The trip was 254 miles total. I took one pit stop and drove the speed limit (70mph) at night (A.C. off) with highbeam on. When I arrived I had around 10 miles left. So you will almost never get the rated miles. Most drivers will get anywhere between 80-90% of the rated miles under normal driving condition.