Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog New Autopilot Feature Keeps Cars in Passing Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A new update to Tesla’s Autopilot software enables the cars to remain in the passing lane, rather than only using the left lane when there’s a slower vehicle to pass.

Tesla included the “Exit Passing Lane” feature in its 2020.36.10 software update. The feature will be available to cars equipped with Hardware 2.5 or above and the Full Self-Driving package.

Currently, vehicles operating on Autopilot are not always efficient when trying to pass other vehicles. Since the vehicle is programmed to return to the right lane, it will not continue to pass a caravan of slower cars in the right lane as a human driver might do.

Owners using Navigate on Autopilot will now need to choose settings to automatically return to the right-hand lane, otherwise the vehicle will continue traveling in the left-hand lane. 

Image: Wiki

Last edited by a moderator:
Because many people don't have a grasp on the physics. Also a lot are convinced that speed has nothing to do with safety. While a case can be made that speed by itself doesn't cause accidents, it makes any accident much worse by injecting more energy into the crash.
Higher speed reduces the amount of time you spend on the road thereby reducing the number of accidents! :p
I've said they should call this Prius mode (Toyota Adds Left Lane Keep Assist To Prius).
I'm also a bit confused about why this feature is needed. If you want to camp in the left lane you can do that with NoA turned off, isn't the whole point of NoA to let the car choose the lane?

Autopilot has performed lane changes since I have had my X which is three years. Does your car stay in lane by itself on autopilot? Otherwise you are just on cruise control.

Not on Model 3. It's listed on my invoice of having Autopilot. (it is known that on model 3's, Autopilot is just cruise control with lane assist) but they still call it "AUTOPILOT". So, my statement stands... I have (as per my invoice) Autopilot... and it DOESN'T perform lane changes.

Not on Model 3. It's listed on my invoice of having Autopilot. (it is known that on model 3's, Autopilot is just cruise control with lane assist) but they still call it "AUTOPILOT". So, my statement stands... I have (as per my invoice) Autopilot... and it DOESN'T perform lane changes.
It never was supposed to make automatic lane changed on base Autopilot.

Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

It never was supposed to make automatic lane changed on base Autopilot.

Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
Exactly my point... original post was stating that this was for Autopilot... it can confuse people. Anyone who doesn't own a Tesla model 3 and is looking on purchasing one may thing that they would be getting this feature if they bought a Model 3 with "Autopilot".

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I use Navigate on autopilot but I turn of changing lanes do to traffic speed. It still gets in the correct lane to exit but that is the only reason it changes lanes on its own. When I end up behind a slow person I use the turn signal to tell the car to go to a different lane. So I’m controlling that.

Reactions: totoro722
This is great. The primary reason I did not use the nav autopilot was because it kept going back to the right lane unnecessarily. I usually drive faster than traffic, so I'm usually found in the passing lane anyway. I'm in NJ, so roads are probably more crowded than most other places so it's not as if the right lane is wide open. In fact, the car would pass on the left and then squeeze into the the right lane behind another car travelling slower, so back into the left to pass again. The zig-zagging was annoying. Obviously if some speed demon is coming up behind me, I can hit the turn signal and move over as to not be an a-hole. Can't wait for my next road trip!
Under FSD, we had the option to confirm lane changes. I had this set this way because I didn’t like that the car would go back to the right lane even when a tractor trailer was only a qtr mike ahead and I knew I would have to change lanes again. I do drive this way (staying in the left lane as long as no one is behind me) when within a reasonable distance I will be again passing a slower vehicle.