Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Battery for P90D. A Big surprise :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...the serial of the battery up close to the right front tire, you would have had to record it of course before all this with the tires turned hard to the left-even then your all the way on the ground to see it with flashlight in hand...
Use a mobile phone w the light on to take a picture of the sticker. We can tell you the version from the part number on the sticker.

About 1/3 city and 2/3 So Cal Rush-hour Hwy. Hwy speed varies from 20-80. I would guess I average around 70mph.

80 mph would definitely eat up your range... 70 should be a little better. Keep in mind the EPA rating is based on, IIRC, 55 mph. So anything above that will degrade the stated range. I think I read on here a couple of years ago that anything above 70 reaches the point of diminishing returns, meaning that the faster you go above 70, the faster you deplete battery. 80-85 mph (which I do often) reduces my range by like 20-30%.

That's also why they tell you if you're running low on juice and you're sweating it to make it to the next Supercharger that you should actually slow down to like 55 and your odds of making it are much greater.

EDIT: Here is a chart:

imrs.php

I didn't check my mileage for the first year. I just trusted the display until I checked a year later and noted it wasn't close to my actual range. I have be logging for past year and those are the numbers I quoted.
I average 350Wh/mi.
My tires are at +2 to +3 psi above recommended.
My ICE cars get much closer to EPA than my MS.

I also average between 330-350 Wh/mi depending on where I drive to on our P90DL, and have my tires at +2 recommended. My real world driving shows about 20-25% less than rated range.

It will be a while before bigger EV’s (not compacts like the 3) get to well over 300 real world miles like an ICE.

• Informative
Reactions: 2BEnhanced
The older 85KWh and 90KWh based S and X were rated unrealistically high by both Tesla and EPA systems for range. Their assessment for the X was based on an assumed 90% output efficiency of the battery pack and a consumption rate of 295Wh/mile. The 90% proved to be very much spot-on, but most real-world driving conditions for the X fall around 350Wh/mile average over time. They have corrected some of this with later software updates and depending on which MCU is installed in your car (which supplier and manufacture date) it may or may not attempt to adjust rated range based on driving habits and history. And it also seems that some of the cars don’t update their rated range display at all with these software updates and still after 50K plus miles and latest software they still show unrealistic fantasy numbers. Hence people complaining that their car tells them they should be getting 235 miles or so out of a 90% charge when they really get 200 on 20” wheels or 192 on 22” wheels.

In a nutshell, once your battery is broke in properly (20K miles or so), you should see about 208 miles of range reported for a 90% charge on a P90D Model X. Give or take a few miles either way. Ours does adjust the rated display based on driving history and we dip a bit lower — I’ve seen it report as low as 204 miles on a 90% charge after several days of cold weather and running seat heaters and such. It usually settles around 208 or 210, but was reporting 216 last week after road tripping and averaging better WH/m with mostly highway driving.

Will be taking the car in for a service appointment soon, as it’s been a year. On our last appointment they ran a full battery diagnostic and they said everything was right where it should be. Car is running great, battery seems to be delivering as it should when realistic adjustments are applied to the original numbers. I have a broken pop-out cup holder that needs fixing and a rattle coming from the overhead portion of the right side FWD and a metal clip that fell out of the driver’s door that serves an unknown purpose... So just some of the many charms of this car. Which has been a great car for the 3 years we’ve had it.

Insane plus will also heat the battery. It came out with Firmware 2019.8.1 I believe.

Except that it's broken. "max battery" disappeared and was replaced with L or I + depending on your power trim but it no longer heats the battery. Tesla says they are woking on a fix but it isn't out yet.

Most likely the OP is experiencing an upgrade to a V3 1600 amp battery from the previous V1/V2 1500 amp battery.

They probably did replace it with a newer revision battery which has more potential, but that shouldn’t matter. Since he doesn’t have Ludicrous he is still limited to the 1300amps and won’t see the benefit he would have from going from 1500-1600amps.

Actually the V3 pack has a lower voltage drop at the same current compared to a V1/V2 battery so it will have a bit more power.

• Informative
Reactions: ASMills85
I have a 2016 X P90D. Love the vehicle. I didn't have my batteries changed, but the INSAND + did show up a few months ago. It is faster. As for mileage. 246 i think is my max charge for a trip. And it depends on my foot and my ac needs as in FL it's just hot as hell. I make it about 178 miles. And thats with the warning light at 30 miles left. It says if i drive 70 mph i could get better eco. Who can drive 70? The latest update has my charging port opening and closing on its own. Other than that. Gotta love Tesla. I do have slight shimmy when gunning it. But I believe it's my tires.