Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New EPA calculated range for 2024. LR is now 335 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you. Not sure if it makes sense that after 19 months the predicted mileage is still same, does that mean no battery degradation?

I am not worrying but just curious.
It's VERY unlikely to be battery degradation. You're in CA, so you wont see *much* change in range due to weather, but bear in mind that range DOES go down with temperature, and so you can expect it to be lower this time of year.

• Disagree
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Ack! Using Roll mode is extremely handy when backing my MYLR to hitch up to my travel trailer. Tapping the accelerator while reversing in Hold mode makes the car jerk toward the trailer hitch with literally very little room for error. Overshooting will drive the trailer hitch into the rear bumper. I was usually terrified of hitching up before I thought of switching to Roll, just during those moments.

Since there are so very few Supercharger stalls which allow charging while hitched up, unhitching and rehitching is required 3-5 times each day on a road trip (recall that normal range is cut in half when trailering). Additional times for those who also drive after dark.

Could we retain this feature while using Trailer mode?

Tesla, please give this action additional thought. You folks are usually so smart, but poking holes in our bumpers just to increase your mileage numbers is not clever.
I find it easier to use both pedals when attaching a trailer. Keep brake pressed, ans give moderate throttle. Slowly release brake. Finer control than trying to use the accelerator. Car beeps/warns pressing both pedals; ignore.

I find it easier to use both pedals when attaching a trailer. Keep brake pressed, ans give moderate throttle. Slowly release brake. Finer control than trying to use the accelerator. Car beeps/warns pressing both pedals; ignore.
Thanks for that tip, @doghousePVD. I'll try it out next time.

Ack! Using Roll mode is extremely handy when backing my MYLR to hitch up to my travel trailer. Tapping the accelerator while reversing in Hold mode makes the car jerk toward the trailer hitch with literally very little room for error. Overshooting will drive the trailer hitch into the rear bumper. I was usually terrified of hitching up before I thought of switching to Roll, just during those moments.

Since there are so very few Supercharger stalls which allow charging while hitched up, unhitching and rehitching is required 3-5 times each day on a road trip (recall that normal range is cut in half when trailering). Additional times for those who also drive after dark.

Could we retain this feature while using Trailer mode?

Tesla, please give this action additional thought. You folks are usually so smart, but poking holes in our bumpers just to increase your mileage numbers is not clever.

Thanks for that tip, @doghousePVD. I'll try it out next time.
They need to add pull-through charging for people with trailers. They do this in some place in Europe.

They need to add pull-through charging for people with trailers. They do this in some place in Europe.
Yes, let’s consider accommodating outliers of all types…as it magically does not compromise that which accommodates the majority under the bell curve. In other words, Tesla should structure itself toward the lowest common denominator and be all things to all people.

Yes, let’s consider accommodating outliers of all types…as it magically does not compromise that which accommodates the majority under the bell curve. In other words, Tesla should structure itself toward the lowest common denominator and be all things to all people.
The number of people towing will increase as the Cybertruck becomes more common. And Tesla is opening up Superchargers to other companies that sell a lot of EV trucks. Some fraction of these users will be pulling a trailer. The expansion of Superchargers is golden opportunity to increase brand awareness and prove to these users that EVs in general, and Tesla in particular, is the right choice.

Here is an example of a Supercharger with pull through. Note the multiple charger stand positions to accommodate different length trailers. Also, there are sets of stands not shown (see "T" on ground in the foreground) to accommodate drivers coming in from the opposite direction.
tesla-pull-through-supercharger-2.jpg

It's VERY unlikely to be battery degradation. You're in CA, so you wont see *much* change in range due to weather, but bear in mind that range DOES go down with temperature, and so you can expect it to be lower this time of year.
Temperature is not the reason. I have been changing to 80% and range shows 278 miles all the time until last December. Then I noticed it is 270 miles instead of 278 miles now. I am FAIRLY sure it is not battery degradation although I was expecting that. I don't think suddenly system start to show the degradation.

Roy, I think your EPA was 348 like mine, if that's true, you have 96.55% the capacity you had 'new'. Degradation is not linear. You're fine.
Not worrying, just some data point.

I drove 10k miles in 19 months and energy report is always 260-290 wh/mile. And 80% soc always shows 278 miles until December which is 270 miles. So I suspect it is because of new update. But of course I could be wrong.

Not worrying, just some data point.

I drove 10k miles in 19 months and energy report is always 260-290 wh/mile. And 80% soc always shows 278 miles until December which is 270 miles. So I suspect it is because of new update. But of course I could be wrong.
this number (270 mile) will go up/down slightly over time as the battery/BMS do their thing.
I've seen mine jump 4-5 miles either way over a few weeks depending how much I drive.

Right now mine says 275. I haven't driven my car in like a week.
Sometimes it's 279, sometimes 280, sometimes 277.

If you want the ultimate in nerd data tracking, give this a try:

I have lifetime Tessie, so the link doesn't benefit me much, but if someone wants you to use theirs, that's fine too.

Reactions: drtimhill
Maybe it’s just me but I don’t recall ever coming across folks on (ICE) forums spending time discussing mileage deviations per tank. How did we become so anal all of a sudden? A Tesla (and its ecosystem) is much more than just miles per full charge. Those other EV makers can dwell there all they want as they have little else to offer (not even a basic charging network to support their EVs); doesn’t mean we should do the same. Tesla’s 8 years warranty on the battery (engine) is better than any warranty I ever had with my previous ICE vehicles; and its failure mode is more gradual, almost graceful, than that of an ICE engine.

While there may have been exceptions, which there always are with any vehicle, those would be taken care of. My S is in its year 6; I’m quietly hoping that its battery would fail (or degrade) before year 8 runs out so that I can get a replacement…on the house. Knowing my luck, it will probably continue to work as designed.

Reactions: jboy210
So I suspect it is because of new update. But of course I could be wrong.
It’s extremely well established that this number is just representative of your BMS estimate of capacity.

It’s very normal to have capacity loss. Typical 6-10% in the first couple years (depending on what you do and other factors) then really slows down.

That’s what you are seeing. Nothing to do with EPA adjustments (as has been said, those are not typically changed on sold vehicles, with a few special exceptions - this not being one of them).

You can update the software all you want, it won’t matter.

You’ll note that your range already showed this reduction months ago (well before any announcement about EPA range changes on new vehicles). Though it of course may be more now.

Expect it to bounce around a bit, it’s just an estimate. It’s an extremely good one though.

They’re not going to remove drive modes on vehicles that were sold with them, either. There is nothing wrong with the modes and they are not going to remove them. Obviously they can do that going forward.

Last edited:
I think that the way you drive makes way more difference than any of these small adjustments. Between my wife and I there's at least a 10% difference in long-range efficiency. I tend to set and forget autopilot; she constantly makes small accelerations and decelerations. I don't even try to argue ;)

Finally I had a chance to charge it to 100% (99% actually) because I seldom use X for road trip and mostly use it in town. I was able to charge it to 99% and it shows 340 miles. If I charge it to 100% probably it would reach around 341-342 miles. This is more than new EPA 335 miles rating.

So I don't think software update reduced the range from 347 miles to 335 miles, rather my range lose is reduced a bit due to 19 months age.

Again, just curious about this, I am not worrying at all.

So I don't think software update reduced the range from 347 miles to 335 miles, rather my range lose is reduced a bit due to 19 months age.

Yep no surprises there.

That’s just how this works - they’re not going to go back to previously sold cars and start adjusting your range.

You are just seeing the standard age-related capacity loss and the variation around the gradually reducing value of your 100% charge is primarily due to BMS estimate variation. It’ll go up and down a couple % - well within the capabilities of the buffer to prevent premature shutdown.

Reactions: Roy2001
My late-2020 build LR+ peaked at 375 miles of "dashboard" range at 100%, when it had around 7000 miles on it (factory rating of 371, lol yeah right). It's down to 347-348 on the dash now. Basically useless now can barely get to work :D

Just took delivery of new model x and Tesla is providing misleading information. At 80% display will read 256 miles. Someone else posted they just took deliver and there’s reads 322 at 100%. This is my 5th Tesla and 3rd X. I know the reality, but Tesla is playing foul right now!

I guess what I am saying is that right noe Tesla can not be trusted!

Just took delivery of new model x and Tesla is providing misleading information. At 80% display will read 256 miles. Someone else posted they just took deliver and there’s reads 322 at 100%. This is my 5th Tesla and 3rd X. I know the reality, but Tesla is playing foul right now!

I guess what I am saying is that right noe Tesla can not be trusted!
Dividing 256 by 80% gets 320 miles vs 322. I don’t understand your comment.

Reactions: drtimhill