Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Evannex cubby compartment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an Evannex Cubby Compartment in my pre-refresh MS, with Carbon Fiber which is a close match to the CF in my MS. Despite the odd angles of the MS OEM cubby space, the tray fits well. It is easy to remove and reinsert even with one hand. It adds no squeaks or rattles that I've noticed thus far. I don't have Ludicrous, but the tray stays put and does not slide open during driving. The tray comes with similar non-slip material on the inside bottom of the Cubby Compartment like you find in the OEM slot, helping to prevent your bits-and-bobbs sliding around or rattling. Inside walls of the tray are plastic material, not non-slip or felt-lined, but I don't find that as a drawback. When inserted, the Cubby Compartment tray fits flush to the front of the cubby slot with only a slight gap on either side that is barely noticeable looking down at that angle unless you stare at it closely -- no biggie, as the tray does not move side-to-side, and I suspect the clearance is required for the tray to fit properly in the odd-angled slot.

IMHO the Evannex Cubby Compartment is a great addition to my MS, just as the Evannex CCI is; Better than the original optional "Cubby Cover" that you could buy with the Evannex CCI (the Cubby Cover just never fit as flush as this does); and the Cubby Compartment is just another well-designed and executed accessory to make MS neat-freak owners like me a little bit happier. Perhaps the only disadvantage with the Cubby Compartment IMHO is the price, but with a $100K car that does not provide something like this as standard (as it should), it's not that bad. I'm glad the Evannex guys produce it and I made the purchase. I'd do it again in a moment.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I have an Evannex Cubby Compartment in my pre-refresh MS, with Carbon Fiber which is a close match to the CF in my MS. Despite the odd angles of the MS OEM cubby space, the tray fits well. It is easy to remove and reinsert even with one hand. It adds no squeaks or rattles that I've noticed thus far. I don't have Ludicrous, but the tray stays put and does not slide open during driving. The tray comes with similar non-slip material on the inside bottom of the Cubby Compartment like you find in the OEM slot, helping to prevent your bits-and-bobbs sliding around or rattling. Inside walls of the tray are plastic material, not non-slip or felt-lined, but I don't find that as a drawback. When inserted, the Cubby Compartment tray fits flush to the front of the cubby slot with only a slight gap on either side that is barely noticeable looking down at that angle unless you stare at it closely -- no biggie, as the tray does not move side-to-side, and I suspect the clearance is required for the tray to fit properly in the odd-angled slot.

IMHO the Evannex Cubby Compartment is a great addition to my MS, just as the Evannex CCI is; Better than the original optional "Cubby Cover" that you could buy with the Evannex CCI (the Cubby Cover just never fit as flush as this does); and the Cubby Compartment is just another well-designed and executed accessory to make MS neat-freak owners like me a little bit happier. Perhaps the only disadvantage with the Cubby Compartment IMHO is the price, but with a $100K car that does not provide something like this as standard (as it should), it's not that bad. I'm glad the Evannex guys produce it and I made the purchase. I'd do it again in a moment.

Thanks for the detailed review! You've convinced me.

Summarizing my longer post above: Excellent construction, and yes it's pricey, but I doubt many owners could construct anything of similar quality given the wild angles Tesla has in the cubby slot, moulding, and various materials involved, especially the matching of face materials to Tesla's interior trim variations. ;) So, is this essential? No, but for neat freaks, someone that looses little tidbits inside anyone's Center Console, or Ludicrous owners that are tired of stuff shooting out of the standard open-face cubby slot upon launch, it's a great solution not available anywhere else. The pics and videos on the Evannex website should allow you to draw your own conclusion if it's if value to you or not.

Reactions: blc1017
Mine came today. Quality and fit and finish is great. Probably a little over priced but can't make that in the basement for any price. Lol lol

ONE COMPAINT tho: I have glossy obeche wood and ordered a like cubby. My veneer grains are horizontal but the cubby droor has verticals grain lines. Some of my OCD friends are sure to give me grief about that :/

Mine came today. Quality and fit and finish is great. Probably a little over priced but can't make that in the basement for any price. Lol lol

ONE COMPAINT tho: I have glossy obeche wood and ordered a like cubby. My veneer grains are horizontal but the cubby droor has verticals grain lines. Some of my OCD friends are sure to give me grief about that :/

Oh Man! Having the grain different directions would drive me crazy! Also shows the lack of details by the manufacturer especially when they are charging you a premium price for the item.

...ONE COMPAINT tho: I have glossy obeche wood and ordered a like cubby. My veneer grains are horizontal but the cubby droor has verticals grain lines. Some of my OCD friends are sure to give me grief about that :/
Understood. If the cover with grain were smack in my face and I didn't have CF, it would probably drive me nuts too. I'm all about the details. Fortunately it's positioned pretty low; it's pretty dark down there, and not something most driver or front passengers eyes will be drawn to -- at least mine aren't.

BTW, thinking about your post last night, I suspect the vertical grain on the lower cubby cover may have been a purposeful design decision given the Evannex Center Console has wood grain that runs back-to-front (ala lengthwise, not side-to-side like the dash), so the CCI grain line then extends up through the cubby cover if someone has it, and it is then visually broken by the CID with horizontal dash grain lines on either side, a foot higher than the cubby. I suppose it's all about art, esthetics, and what pleases one person more than the other. ;) ...but then again, if someone has a Tesla Center Console, it only comes with black covers, so selecting one of the two black cubby covers may be a good alternative than going with wood grain. So many choices!

• Informative
Reactions: lakerholic
Understood. If the cover with grain were smack in my face and I didn't have CF, it would probably drive me nuts too. I'm all about the details. Fortunately it's positioned pretty low; it's pretty dark down there, and not something most driver or front passengers eyes will be drawn to -- at least mine aren't.

BTW, thinking about your post last night, I suspect the vertical grain on the lower cubby cover may have been a purposeful design decision given the Evannex Center Console has wood grain that runs back-to-front (ala lengthwise, not side-to-side like the dash), so the CCI grain line then extends up through the cubby cover if someone has it, and it is then visually broken by the CID with horizontal dash grain lines on either side, a foot higher than the cubby. I suppose it's all about art, esthetics, and what pleases one person more than the other. ;) ...but then again, if someone has a Tesla Center Console, it only comes with black covers, so selecting one of the two black cubby covers may be a good alternative than going with wood grain. So many choices!

Also note FWIW that us early adopters (2013 build) with Obeche Gloss trim had the grain running in the vertical direction. Franz/Elon must have changed their mind/design thereafter. My wife's 2015 build has the horizontal grain. The small 'expanse' of the trim on the front of the cubby is not very noticeable. Note that I actually have the Cubby Covers/doors (when they were sold as a standalone item).

Reactions: BertL
I have Obeche Matte, and I'm wondering if it may look better to get the matte black instead of obeche matte to match the standard center console in the facelift. Thoughts? Pictures?

Attachments

• IMG_4082.JPG
    IMG_4082.JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: lakerholic
I have Obeche Matte, and I'm wondering if it may look better to get the matte black instead of obeche matte to match the standard center console in the facelift. Thoughts? Pictures?

I assume you have seen the pictures of each cover on the Evannex site. Personally, I'd go with the matte black if I were you. It's dark down there to begin with, and IMHO the matte black would just allow the cover to disappear next to your standard center console (opposed to piano black that would reflect more, or obesche that as has been discussed has a vertical grain and would just bring attention to itself being the lone piece of wood grain below your CID).

Reactions: turbospecc
I also have been on the fence about dropping 190 (including shipping) for the CF cubby. It seems like it's just a plastic tray with CF vinyl on the face. It looks great and i do have issues with P90DL and stuff flying out of the cubby. I need to sleep on it!

Reactions: Sugacookie
Has anyone ordered this new product? The videos on the site have almost convinced me to drop the $150. but I'd like to hear from a fellow owner first.
I read some reviews about the EVannex Cubby Compartment (CCOMP-MB) for the Tesla X that were generally favorable. However, after receiving my X last Thursday, i slid the Cubby Compartment into place--only to be surprised, and disappointed, that the lower left corner does not fit snugly or correctly. I sent an email requesting a refund.

For the people who own one, what is the construction like? Seems way over priced for what it is.
I read some reviews about the EVannex Cubby Compartment (CCOMP-MB) for the Tesla X that were generally favorable. However, after receiving my X last Thursday, i slid the Cubby Compartment into place--only to be surprised, and disappointed, that the lower left corner does not fit snugly or correctly. I sent an email requesting a refund.

I assume you have seen the pictures of each cover on the Evannex site. Personally, I'd go with the matte black if I were you. It's dark down there to begin with, and IMHO the matte black would just allow the cover to disappear next to your standard center console (opposed to piano black that would reflect more, or obesche that as has been discussed has a vertical grain and would just bring attention to itself being the lone piece of wood grain below your CID).

I got the matte black and it's perfect! Costs about 3x what it should, but it does the trick.

Reactions: BertL

I'm in the same predicament, and while the rationale for the vertical grain totally makes sense in connection with the Evannex center console (or, maybe, even with the Model X built in console which has the grains on the cover unlike the Model S :/ ), it would drive me nuts to have vertical grain there, and horizontal grain everywhere else.

I'm going with Matte Black :)