Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New firmware release 12-10-2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla released a new firmware version today. This update includes Side collision warning, speed limit assist, auto headlights and auto dim display. Here are the screenshots ...

IMG_0552.JPG
img_0551-jpg.205254

Odd they would release these minor items if the rest of enhanced AP is supposedly 1-2 weeks away...

Not an encouraging sign, I would say
If it's ready now, it's ready now. Likely separate teams, and having lesser features in the field earlier means they can gather more real-world performance data (especially with the proximity sensors) to fine tune EAP before release.

But if anybody was taking Elon's tweet as a guarantee of availability... you're probably going to learn about his loose relationship with the concept of "time" real soon.

• Funny
Reactions: u00mem9
What other features, non-AutoPilot features are AP2 cars missing? I got one coming for my wife in a couple of weeks, no EAP but assumed such simple non-AP features (for AP1) like auto headlights were there! :-o Are they also now saying that auto on/of headlights level is an EAP or FSB feature? I sure hope not. That would be ridiculous.

Last edited:
Ok, so I was driving with the the new AP2 firmware update and the steering assist suddenly went out. Fortunately I was in a parking lot and going at a slow speed. I could still turn the steering wheel but it was really hard. I called Tesla and got the roadside assistance call center. They saw the same message that I did and advise me to do a power down of the car. That cleared up the problem and everything seem to work well again. They said they would check if I need to do a further update on the firmware and if so they would send an update to me. Eeverything looked good from their remote monitoring point of you.

It was a strange problem but I appreciated the quick and professional assistance to get me back on the road within minutes.

Odd they would release these minor items if the rest of enhanced AP is supposedly 1-2 weeks away...

Not an encouraging sign, I would say
I would say the full AP2 rollout will be very slow and tentative, ie. staggered)
They didn't want the AP2 people waiting too long for these more basic and well-tested features, so put them in an earlier release.

Ok, so I was driving with the the new AP2 firmware update and the steering assist suddenly went out. Fortunately I was in a parking lot and going at a slow speed. I could still turn the steering wheel but it was really hard. I called Tesla and got the roadside assistance call center. They saw the same message that I did and advise me to do a power down of the car. That cleared up the problem and everything seem to work well again. They said they would check if I need to do a further update on the firmware and if so they would send an update to me. Eeverything looked good from their remote monitoring point of you.

It was a strange problem but I appreciated the quick and professional assistance to get me back on the road within minutes.

Do you mean power steering went out? Steering assist makes me think you're talking about auto pilot steering :)

Wow... I can't quite reconcile how AP2 cars were shipped without auto headlights and auto screen dimming... or side collision, for that matter. They still have ultrasonics, right? I guess if they're merging that data with the side cameras, sure, but fall back on just the sensors otherwise.

But the headlights/dimming... that's basically as simple as reading the lux value from whatever sensor (but again, I guess maybe they're using the AP camera...)

I also didn't understand how they shipped AP2 cars without even BASIC cruise control. That just seems crazy to me!

But the headlights/dimming... that's basically as simple as reading the lux value from whatever sensor (but again, I guess maybe they're using the AP camera...)
Yes, using either the camera or a sensor in the camera unit. New camera unit, new software required.

I also didn't understand how they shipped AP2 cars without even BASIC cruise control. That just seems crazy to me!

They did add that quickly. But they are kinda stuck. The longer they waited for new hardware release, the more Osborne effect they would have due to rumors. Since they can do over the air updates, this is the direction they picked.