TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New firmware release 12-10-2016

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Growling Fish, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Growling Fish

Growling Fish Member

Tesla released a new firmware version today. This update includes Side collision warning, speed limit assist, auto headlights and auto dim display. Here are the screenshots ...

IMG_0552.JPG [​IMG]

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Someone else posted before. It's not AP2 but they're slowly enabling features which is better than having nothing work at all.

3. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

Is this for the AP 2 vehicles? If not, I do not see anything new here. What am I missing?

4. Growling Fish

Growling Fish Member

Yes, this is for the AP2 vehicles. For us, these are all new features. We're still lagging behind the AP1 crowd.

• Love x 1
  5. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I thought my car had auto headlights and auto adjusting display mode since the version 4.something that it came with in 2013. What's new about those features?

• Funny x 1
  6. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

For the AP2 hardware cars, all these features were disabled. Hence the updates.

7. DJung

DJung Member

Wow AP2 cars didn't have auto headlights? Didn't know that, that's pretty interesting...

8. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

Odd they would release these minor items if the rest of enhanced AP is supposedly 1-2 weeks away...

Not an encouraging sign, I would say

9. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

If it's ready now, it's ready now. Likely separate teams, and having lesser features in the field earlier means they can gather more real-world performance data (especially with the proximity sensors) to fine tune EAP before release.

But if anybody was taking Elon's tweet as a guarantee of availability... you're probably going to learn about his loose relationship with the concept of "time" real soon.

• Funny x 1
  10. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

Yea, progress! \o/ Thanks for the nice screen shots.

11. whitex

whitex Active Member

#11 whitex, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    What other features, non-AutoPilot features are AP2 cars missing? I got one coming for my wife in a couple of weeks, no EAP but assumed such simple non-AP features (for AP1) like auto headlights were there! :-o Are they also now saying that auto on/of headlights level is an EAP or FSB feature? I sure hope not. That would be ridiculous.

12. number12

number12 Active Member

So ap1 and classics got nothing? Hope that trend does not continue once ap2 is caught up.

13. Growling Fish

Growling Fish Member

Ok, so I was driving with the the new AP2 firmware update and the steering assist suddenly went out. Fortunately I was in a parking lot and going at a slow speed. I could still turn the steering wheel but it was really hard. I called Tesla and got the roadside assistance call center. They saw the same message that I did and advise me to do a power down of the car. That cleared up the problem and everything seem to work well again. They said they would check if I need to do a further update on the firmware and if so they would send an update to me. Eeverything looked good from their remote monitoring point of you.

It was a strange problem but I appreciated the quick and professional assistance to get me back on the road within minutes.

14. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Nah. Features like that are dependent on the camera, and they needed to collect enough data to calibrate it before releasing to the wild.

15. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

High beams, yes. Headlights in general... pretty basic. I had a 2002 Chevy Blazer that had auto headlights!

16. feslatan

feslatan Member

I wouldn't call it a 'trend' since so far it's only backfilling features that classics and AP1 cars have had for a long time. I'm not sure how they could catch up us AP2 folk without dissatisfying you.

17. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

I would say the full AP2 rollout will be very slow and tentative, ie. staggered)
    They didn't want the AP2 people waiting too long for these more basic and well-tested features, so put them in an earlier release.

18. Gregkeys

Gregkeys Member

Do you mean power steering went out? Steering assist makes me think you're talking about auto pilot steering :)

19. disillusioned

disillusioned Member

Wow... I can't quite reconcile how AP2 cars were shipped without auto headlights and auto screen dimming... or side collision, for that matter. They still have ultrasonics, right? I guess if they're merging that data with the side cameras, sure, but fall back on just the sensors otherwise.

But the headlights/dimming... that's basically as simple as reading the lux value from whatever sensor (but again, I guess maybe they're using the AP camera...)

I also didn't understand how they shipped AP2 cars without even BASIC cruise control. That just seems crazy to me!

20. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Yes, using either the camera or a sensor in the camera unit. New camera unit, new software required.

They did add that quickly. But they are kinda stuck. The longer they waited for new hardware release, the more Osborne effect they would have due to rumors. Since they can do over the air updates, this is the direction they picked.