Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New firmware release 12-10-2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow... I can't quite reconcile how AP2 cars were shipped without auto headlights and auto screen dimming... or side collision, for that matter. They still have ultrasonics, right? I guess if they're merging that data with the side cameras, sure, but fall back on just the sensors otherwise.

But the headlights/dimming... that's basically as simple as reading the lux value from whatever sensor (but again, I guess maybe they're using the AP camera...)

I also didn't understand how they shipped AP2 cars without even BASIC cruise control. That just seems crazy to me!

(1) They are confirmed to not have the previous ambient light sensor and rain sensor module that was on pre-AP2 cars. So they are indeed using the new Tesla Vision system for brightness measurement and rain detection.

(2) They have new ultrasonic sensors, which presumably behave differently enough from the old ones that they need to validate that it behaves well in real world situations like driving through tunnels / near overgrown landscaping, nearby other cars with ultrasonics, etc etc etc.

(3) Basic cruise control is extremely dangerous to offer on cars with TACC/ACC/semi-autonomous features, because it leads to driver error and misunderstanding (e.g. accidents where a driver was expecting the car to have TACC but it just simply plows into traffic). You can imagine how an existing Tesla owner checking out a loaner AP2 or a new owner who misunderstood and thought the car had AP/TACC could be lured to make a muscle-memory mistake like this.

The mobileye contract ended on bad terms, and it forced a hard stop to the AP 1.0 hardware at the end of the 2yr agreement. They would have liked to hold off on the announcement and production start until software was at least comparable to AP1.0 functionality, but apparently there wasn't enough time.

Can you imagine if this stuff is still functioning below 1.0 by mid next year? Can you imagine if people who prepaid for "FSDC" are still waiting for that at the end of their 2 year lease? I'm hoping for the best, but this will get ugly in the press (and rightfully so) if the usual Musk software development schedule is applied.

So they replaced the rain-sensor? So hopefully the rain-sensing wipers will work 100% better!
"Hope" seems to be Tesla's strategy. It seems they removed things like the rain sensor hoping it will work but not having it tested and ready. Whether it will work well remains to be seen. Hopefully it turns out better than blind spot detection on AP1, where they released a bunch of ultrasonic sensors "hoping" they will provide good blind spot car detection, but the hope didn't pan out.

Reactions: u00mem9
"Hope" seems to be Tesla's strategy. It seems they removed things like the rain sensor hoping it will work but not having it tested and ready. Whether it will work well remains to be seen. Hopefully it turns out better than blind spot detection on AP1, where they released a bunch of ultrasonic sensors "hoping" they will provide good blind spot car detection, but the hope didn't pan out.

I dont get why Automakers dont test out things like this when they either come out with the product or "Update" it. It seems like they just throw it on the car for the added feature and do not care if it works or not. 1 out of the 10 cars we've owned with Rain-Sensing Wipers has only ever been good enough for me and my wife's liking which was our Audi S8. Even our Mercedes Benz had it and they weren't good at all.......o_O

Wow... I can't quite reconcile how AP2 cars were shipped without auto headlights and auto screen dimming... or side collision, for that matter. They still have ultrasonics, right? I guess if they're merging that data with the side cameras, sure, but fall back on just the sensors otherwise.

But the headlights/dimming... that's basically as simple as reading the lux value from whatever sensor (but again, I guess maybe they're using the AP camera...)

I also didn't understand how they shipped AP2 cars without even BASIC cruise control. That just seems crazy to me!
I would much rather get the hw early, even if i had to take a backward step in the software. Even with a basic function like headlight dimming. I bought a Model X a couple months before the new hardware. I certainly have enjoyed headlight Diming, but darn I'm envious of the new cars.

Say they waited a month to put the new ap hw into manufacturing so they could get a few items like dimming in. you think the people that bought the car during that month will be happier?

Reactions: Gregkeys
I would much rather get the hw early, even if i had to take a backward step in the software. Even with a basic function like headlight dimming. I bought a Model X a couple months before the new hardware. I certainly have enjoyed headlight Diming, but darn I'm envious of the new cars.

Say they waited a month to put the new ap hw into manufacturing so they could get a few items like dimming in. you think the people that bought the car during that month will be happier?
I guess it depends on how well it will work out. If for example the auto-wipers end up working worse than AP1 car, maybe they would. Not sure if you've been with Tesla long enough to remember AP1 introduction and for example blind spot monitoring. Tesla released the hardware first, collected the money for AP, then delivered the software, and it turned out the hardware is insufficient to provide reliable blind spot monitoring.

I guess it depends on how well it will work out. If for example the auto-wipers end up working worse than AP1 car, maybe they would. Not sure if you've been with Tesla long enough to remember AP1 introduction and for example blind spot monitoring. Tesla released the hardware first, collected the money for AP, then delivered the software, and it turned out the hardware is insufficient to provide reliable blind spot monitoring.
In my short experience with an AP1 Model X on an extended test drive, the rain sensing wipers are pretty bad on AP1 cars. They do seem to at least turn on when it's raining, but the speed and frequency of them seems to be really random.

I believe the cars do have basic cruise control. I'm seeing many owners misunderstanding the level of availability and timeline for EAP, much less FSD. I think Tesla may not have been diligent speaking with customers about the lack of availability of software and the need for robust validation and regulatory approval for FSD.

This is awesome

Now AP2 owners can take part in the tradition of making fun of blind spot monitoring, speed sign detection, and rain detection.

Sure each one will likely be better than what we with AP1 have, but there will likely still be room to carry on the tradition.

• Funny
Reactions: u00mem9
In my short experience with an AP1 Model X on an extended test drive, the rain sensing wipers are pretty bad on AP1 cars. They do seem to at least turn on when it's raining, but the speed and frequency of them seems to be really random.
The could definitely be better, and a manual variable mode would be nice. I've suggested long time ago that AP camera should be able to do better, however, if it was my product I'd add AP2 camera without removing the old sensor first, only after I could show in the field that the camera based one is as good as or better than the old sensor, discontinue the rain sensor. The way they are doing it moves backwards in terms of features for some time and gambles that the new way of rain sensing is equal or better.

I believe the cars do have basic cruise control. I'm seeing many owners misunderstanding the level of availability and timeline for EAP, much less FSD. I think Tesla may not have been diligent speaking with customers about the lack of availability of software and the need for robust validation and regulatory approval for FSD.

I picked up my S on Saturday with the AP2 hardware. Yes it does have basic cruise control. When I got it, it did not yet have the lastest update but has in the last 18 hours updated 4 time and is now on 2.48.204. That version now includes the items listed by the OP.

Do you mean power steering went out? Steering assist makes me think you're talking about auto pilot steering :)
It was the power steering (AP2 cars don't have autopilot yet.) The message said something like "Steering assist greatly reduced, please call Tesla service" Basically, I could hardly turn the steering wheel. After a power down steering worked normally and has continued to do so since then.