Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's also really surprising that such a drastic, massive set of changes would be foisted upon this large community without any involvement or warning or input from the community.

Oh, I'm sure there were insiders and friends and clique members with access to the proprietors, who knew all this was coming, but the tens of thousands of general members sure didn't. Did they? I didn't.

Why no communication? Why no involvement with us? Why didn't the proprietors of this site even ask? Show us some prototypes. Show us a beta site. Run both sites in parallel. Run a bunch of polls. Find out what people love and hate. Get some, you know, FEEDBACK.

To foist this upon us so suddenly feels contemptuous of the community. Capricious and arbitrary.

I've been doing online forums, including running them, since the 1970s. Yes you read that right. I've seen it all. And what TMC just did broke so many age-old rules, it's dumbfounding.

Down for maintenance my ass. You ripped the rug right out from under us.

Personally, I don't mind the esthetic that much. It is more attractive to my eye. But that's about it. The lower density is definitely a problem. Navigation appears to be much more difficult. Not being able to find the most recent threads is a very big deal for me. I really don't want to have to read through all the stuff I have seen before to find the new stuff. I think this is a huge setback for the site.

I have noticed, as the user base has grown, that the new threads have become less and less interesting to me. Mainly because I have learned most of what new users are posting. No slam against them at all. They are learning like I did. With this new update to site, it might just kill it for me because now I have to muddle through a million posts to find anything of interest to me that will help me to increase my knowledge. It was much easier before.

Being somebody who has read this forum every single day since the day I placed my order, this is upsetting. I enjoy coming home, making a drink and wandering through all the good thinking that does go on here. If it becomes to hard to find the quality stuff, I may well be done. I really hope that it not the case.

And the removal of rep points is a slap in the face to all the fantastic contributors who have helped to me to know just about everything about my MS, Tesla, and the EV movement as a whole.

My two request are to bring back newest threads and pull forward all the rep points along with giving us the ability to give them. Just the opther day, the site would not allow me to give one. Now I know why.

oh, this is not good, not good at all. Please give us all the WHY in this and please don't tell us all "it was for responsive design for the phone" bah. Tapatalk was working just fine. I've been on several boards over the years and when I found this one years ago, it was the best layout I had seen.

Threads were easy to see that were unread, site was laid out well. This.....not good guys. damn.....

I develop websites for a living and TMC has migrated to a forum system called XenForo from the old Vbulletin. Along with the change comes a new template. The new style you're experiencing is called a "flat" style which was instigated by Apple with iOS7 a couple of years ago and has spread like wildfire as the internet has scrambled to adopt it. Google has done something similar with the "material design" in Android.

Web design is rather "faddy" with trends coming and going. In a few years we'll see a new trend and the world will follow along. In any case, the new template has a different layout and controls so it will take some time to adjust, just poke around.

The best part is that the site is now mobile responsive and will work much much better on phones and tablets.

Hmmm, how does tinm keep his green bars? Pretty nice...

I rushed into a graphic editing program and put them right into my avatar image. Damn straight. Everyone should do this.

Reputation is like hall of fame. Imagine a gaming site killing their hall of fame pages. Users would go insane.

Reputation is earned. Lots of reputation takes many hours of dedication, pouring content into this site. Adding value to the experience. The user community here is what makes TMC so great. And TMC just stripped out that which we've earned.

It's also really surprising that such a drastic, massive set of changes would be foisted upon this large community without any involvement or warning or input from the community.

Oh, I'm sure there were insiders and friends and clique members with access to the proprietors, who knew all this was coming, but the tens of thousands of general members sure didn't. Did they? I didn't.

Why no communication? Why no involvement with us? Why didn't the proprietors of this site even ask? Show us some prototypes. Show us a beta site. Run both sites in parallel. Run a bunch of polls. Find out what people love and hate. Get some, you know, FEEDBACK.

To foist this upon us so suddenly feels contemptuous of the community. Capricious and arbitrary.

I've been doing online forums, including running them, since the 1970s. Yes you read that right. I've seen it all. And what TMC just did broke so many age-old rules, it's dumbfounding.

Down for maintenance my ass. You ripped the rug right out from under us.
This is exactly how I feel.

I develop websites for a living and TMC has migrated to a forum system called XenForo from the old Vbulletin. Along with the change comes a new template. The new style you're experiencing is called a "flat" style which was instigated by Apple with iOS7 a couple of years ago and has spread like wildfire as the internet has scrambled to adopt it. Google has done something similar with the "material design" in Android.

Web design is rather "faddy" with trends coming and going. In a few years we'll see a new trend and the world will follow along. In any case, the new template has a different layout and controls so it will take some time to adjust, just poke around.

The best part is that the site is now mobile responsive and will work much much better on phones and tablets.

I also develop and maintain websites and if this is mostly for the "responsive" design, that's stupid. Tapatalk worked just fine. No need for all this change for one new way to look at the site.

Yeah, I hated when my Android phone went "flat". It's just visually so dull, seems like a step backwards in computer graphic interfaces.

Aesthetically, it's a very pleasing design to just look at.

Functionally, it's a lot of wasted space currently. While I like the dynamic top navigation bar, the layout when scrolled to the top takes up a good amount of space.
Spacing around most elements seems excessive; most so on the home forum page. The initial view is less useful with seemingly very little information available without interacting with the page. Getting to a desired sub-forum is harder to find and once found, takes more interaction than it did before. It's also a bit confusing to glance at, with the newest topics the same size font as the forum titles. This confusion extends into the sub-forums, where all posts are in the same bold font regardless of being read or not. The little blue dot just doesn't stand out enough at a quick glance. Getting into a topic, the view is a bit better and more functional, but spacing is still excessive IMO, primarily because of the user info on the left.
Icon-only buttons need tool-tips.

tl;dr: While pretty, it takes more a good deal more mental/physical effort to use in the same way. Not a fan currently.

Macrumors and my own forum are using Xenforo. It's an amazing platform. The template this site is using needs a little tweaking, and it will be fine. Hoping the owners of the site are paying attention to this thread.

By the way, hello fellow web developers Trev Page and ggies07

Oh, and TMC? As for this banner message,

"This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect."

I have this to say:

This site is also supported by the countless thousands of COMMUNITY members who use it. Please disable your XenForo forum software so the COMMUNITY can continue to provide you, the proprietors, with the quality content that drives the traffic that gets you ad revenue in the first place.