Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My issue with this new layout is the lack of contrast between the grayish text and the white background. This is the same issue I have with the 7.1 firmware on Classic Teslas. The lack of contrast makes it very, very difficult for a person with visual issues (I've had 4 retina detachments, which has reduced my ability to differentiate things when the contrast of the foreground is not significantly different from the background; for example, I can not see yellow text on a white background) to read this site (or, for example, read the speedometer on Classic Teslas).

The old site layout was far superior and easier to read. Please consider changing the font color to improve readability. Increasing the font size would also be helpful. Thank you.

The contrast I'm sure can be improved. I'm probably 85% on mobile and the interface is a big change. One thing I noticed is I no longer see anyone's signature and requesting the desktop site does nothing. While I generally like that I can still zoom in and the text sizing is improved in a thread, navigating between threads has been much hard (so far). And I suspect I will be spending much less time browsing at night when my phone would light up the whole room. Guess it's time to see what user-configurable options there are.

Please give me back Tapatalk (or any equivalent app) support - I am willing to pay a subscription fee for that, if that's what is takes to get it back.

On a side note, I have a strong suspicion that Tapatalk access was disabled to force people to go to the Ad infested web browser interface, because Tapatalk does not throw any ads.

Nissan Leaf forum never provided mobile App access for the very same reason - I was told.

If that is true, then it's really sad.

Hi,

The width of forum messages has decreased a lot. This is not a problem for text content but in THIS wiki article we have some embedded Google sheets. This is how it looks now on a 19" screen. The the width is at least 185 px shorter because these horizontal scrollbars didn't exist before. The dead space on both sides is too much. I hope this can be adjusted.

pAwcCAt.png

Hi,

The width of forum messages has decreased a lot. This is not a problem for text content but in THIS wiki article we have some embedded Google sheets. This is how it looks now on a 19" screen. The the width is at least 185 px shorter because these horizontal scrollbars didn't exist before. The dead space on both sides is too much. I hope this can be adjusted.

You can adjust the window width by tapping the button at the bottom left of the footer:

Width Adjustment.png

Doug: you dismissed Tapatalk saying it is a security hole. Fine. How about support for any other App out there?

Anything at all? Anything?

I can't list the number of things that can be done with ease with an app compared to this so called mobile friendly interface.

For starters, when I am reading the replies in a post, in an App I simply click the "Back" button and it will put me back to the new posts list exactly in the location where I was earlier.

With the browser it is multiple highly nimble clicks and still I won't be back at the place.

Hi Doug/Danny/Admins,

First, I'm not here to whine about the changes. Obviously a change from vBulletin has been needed for quite some time. So, no argument there. Obviously you guys have put in a great deal of effort to get things to where they are with this change over and that's commendable.

However, some of the things that made TMC a great forum seem to have been lost along the way. Maybe some of it is returning or something better taking the place of some of these lost features, but as of now I'm admittedly a bit turned off by the change. Aesthetically, I don't particularly care either way, but functionality is definitely more important.

So, what was gained? The short list I have is:

• Off of vBulletin - Long time coming, well needed, improved scalability
  • SSL - Good, but I don't particularly care either way... not like there's anything super sensitive happening around here
  • IPV6 - Probably a good idea in the long run
  • More "Groups" functionality? maybe, not really sure the details there.
  • Potentially better mobile functionality? Up for debate, but I hate Tapatalk, so this is a plus.
  • Bigger avatars!
  • Probably other things I've missed.

What has been lost, however?
  • Content density and intuitive layout have been lost for sure. Much less detail available at a glance now.
  • Locked at 20 posts/items per page
    • I'm going to point out now that this is a deal breaker for me and I'll pretty likely not be using TMC any longer until it's possible to set this to 100 or more posts per page. You realize I've started threads that have 2000+ posts, right? Ain't nobody got time to page through that at 20 posts per page.
  • Reputation system completely gone and all reputation previously gained lost
    • Not that it's a huge deal or that the rep was super meaningful, but having built up to 2nd place in rep over the course of a few years to find that now the "Notable Members" are entirely based on quantity over quality. Seems like a major loss, even if it was a simple system before. There's no real way to see the actual top members anymore from what I can tell.
    • Doesn't seem to be anything to replace the old rep system.
  • No subscribed threads ('watched threads' now) folders
    • Had a few folders of subscribed threads so I could keep an eye on my current popular/important threads at a glance, and the rest when I had more time. Now they're just all clumped together.
  • Lost the image upload feature
    • I haven't personally used this one for a while since I decided I wanted to retain control of my personal image postings, but definitely a loss for those who've made use of the feature regularly.
  • Old PMs are disheveled
    • Sent items mixed with inbox and other folders. :(
    • Cant seem to find a way to download my PMs
    • Also has the 20 per page limit
  • Supporting members appear to still have advertisements and anti-adblock notice
    • The latest anti-adblock campaigns around the net have caused me to abandon several other sites entirely. It's just one of those things that on principal bothers the heck out of me. TMC for example, I valued the content and community enough to pay/donate for an ad free experience... certainly gets TMC much more revenue since I'll never click ads anyway. I simply won't use a site that doesn't allow me some method, paid or otherwise (ad-block), of not dealing with ads. If the content is worth viewing, it's worth paying for. If not, then no amount of anti-adblock stuff is going to make the content more worthwhile. I'd much rather open my wallet for good content vs have advertisements in my face.
    • I'll assume that this is one of the things that will eventually be fixed.
  • The edit box for posting new threads is super small
    • I generally browse the web on my 4K screen with a maximized browser. I'm writing this post in a box that is less than 1/3rd the width of my screen with no way to expand it. (The button that expands the full page doesn't help)
  • Jumping to the first unread post in a thread requires targeting a tiny blue dot with the mouse or finger now vs the much larger down arrow.
    • Definitely takes longer to catch up on threads.
    • This is also not consistent around the form in different lists of threads. Sometimes to text of the link also goes to the first unread, other times it doesn't and only the blue dot does.
  • Think that's enough for now. I'll assume the point has been made.

This change definitely has taken a lot of people by surprise. "Maintenance" usually doesn't mean "full redesign." In any case, while I applaud the effort to move things towards a more secure platform I think doing so now at the cost of lost functionality was a poor decision, even if these things are addressed at some point in the future.

I've donated $1,000 in total to TMC so far. Not that this should get me any special treatment or consideration, but I mention it to note that had the site been in its current form when I last donated........ I would not have. I vote with my wallet on many things, and I would certainly have voted against this particular change. Had this update brought in a new look with nearly all pre-existing functionality intact (and hopefully with some new functionality), I don't think I or anyone else would have had any concerns. But this certainly feels like an overall step backwards on the functionality front.

I hope at least some of the lost functionality is restored at some point in the future, but for now I think that you guys may have rushed into this a little too soon.

My apologies for the criticism, since I know what you have accomplished here was no easy task. But, the community here is what makes TMC what it is, and this kind of caught most of us off guard. I just hope these changes don't alienate too much of the community that TMC is based on. I anticipate there will be much more criticism to come, probably most of it not very constructive.

Regrettably, my personal participation here is certainly going to be at a record low from now on since, IMO, overall usability and value has decreased substantially here as a result of the things I've noted above.

All the best,

Jason / wk

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Hi everyone. We appreciate and welcome constructive criticism on the new design, interface and functionality. We've worked hard on this and know that there is a lot more still to do. What we have now is a work in progress and we are well aware of, and are working on filling, many of the functionality gaps or potential UI improvements that have been mentioned.

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to post here and/or contact us via private message (now called "conversations"). In doing so, please be specific about what you feel could be improved, and detailed in your explanation as to how you think it should be done.

One of the features we have been working on is improving groups functionality. We believe what we have is a substantial improvement over the previous groups module, however there is much still to be done. If you have any questions or suggestions about Groups, please mention @danny and I'll do my best to assist.

We appreciate your patience and input, and look forward to improving the site further.

Last edited:
Mostly good feedback. Image upload is "upload a file" near the bottom of the post box. Old PMs were always a bit of a mess.. In a few weeks you'll be happier with the conversation system. vB has been around for years and XF isn't yet at feature parity. But we'll get better over time.