Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed a bug on New Posts where threads display the "watched" icon even though I'm not watching those threads.

For example, I'm not subscribed to any of these threads but several of them show the "watched" icon. If I click on the threads, I have the option to Watch Thread instead of Unwatch Thread.

watched.png

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
Now that this remodel has been up for a few weeks, 3 quick data points:

1) I've cut way back on TMC. It's just too much work to browse/discover stuff now. Things just don't feel as explorable. Fine, go ahead and say "that isn't so" but in my opinion that is so. I probably spent 10 hours a week in TMC before the old TMC was ruined. Now, I spend maybe one hour total per week. If that. 90% reduction for sure. Probably 90+% reduction in pageviews, for those who care (or profit) from such things. I also check Reddit's Tesla page more often now than TMC. And I've even gone back to poke around Tesla's own forums more often. All that is new behavior since the TMC change.

2) The red "GO TO FIRST UNREAD" links are such bad UI design. Clutter all the way down the page.

3) I can't figure out the alerts. I will see I have alerts, so I mouse over that little icon, see the little popup list of things people have responded to, but my expectation as a user if I click on one of those links, is to be taken to, ironically, the FIRST UNREAD POST in that thread. But instead, it takes me somewhere else, usually some much more recent thread, and I have to backtrack a few pages (hello, Short Term TSLA Price thread) to find where I left off. Kind of an odd user experience.

I noticed a bug on New Posts where threads display the "watched" icon even though I'm not watching those threads.

For example, I'm not subscribed to any of these threads but several of them show the "watched" icon. If I click on the threads, I have the option to Watch Thread instead of Unwatch Thread.

This isn't a bug - the binoculars indicate you're watching the forum - in this case, Model S. A red vertical bar to the left of the topic indicates you're watching the thread.

I was confused about that as well for a bit, but now it makes sense.

It's possible what @Chrisizzle wants is actually to be able to watch, say, the Roadster forum - and see new posts in that forum only - even if they are not subscribed to every individual thread. This is a feature I'd like as well, or less effectively, I'd like the New Posts list to separate the subforum out into its own column so I can scan and avoid non-English forums or ones where my input isn't welcome. :)

I once responded to a thread about the Roadster HPWC thinking they meant the MS/X HPWC (right after they changed the name of it). After being shamed appropriately for that, I began to pay very close attention to the subforum listed in "New Posts". This is quite a bit more difficult now.

This is exactly right. Let's say I was able to follow Model X, Model S, and Canada forums. With one click, I used to be able to see all new topics and conversations in those categories.

"Watched threads" are only specific conversation I have opted to follow or been involved in. So, by definition, not new topics.

This isn't a bug - the binoculars indicate you're watching the forum - in this case, Model S. A red vertical bar to the left of the topic indicates you're watching the thread.

I was confused about that as well for a bit, but now it makes sense.

I don't think this is correct.

I'll post a screen shot later if need be, but I think the red vertical bar indicates that there are unread posts in a thread that you are watching, and the binoculars actually do indicate that you are watching the thread.

I went to the Model S forum, and some threads--threads that I were watching--had the binoculars, and a subset of those had the vertical red bar. If the binoculars indicated a watched forum, every thread in the Model S forum would have either had to have the binoculars or not had the binoculars.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
I don't think this is correct.
Thanks, Andy. You're right. I was slightly off. We can keep tweaking this in case I'm wrong again but it looks like the red bar is unread posts in a thread you're watching. The binoculars are a watched forum. They are potentially also a watched thread in an unwatched forum.

I do stand by the assertion that the binoculars are always related to a watched forum, though. That explains the confusion of @MorrisonHiker.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
In the old forum, there was one click to see all posts in my "Watched Forums". So, I could log in and easily see new posts for only topics I was interested in.

Now, the "Watched Forums" button only shows me my list of forums. That is no more efficient than just selecting them from the root list of directories.

And the "New Posts" button isn't useful because it shows me EVERY new post. That is not useful because beyond topics that don't interest me, I am also flooded with posts in languages I can't even read.

Both of those features were customizations I did in vBulletin. They won't quite work the same way on the current platform and I need to consider the best approach. Needless to say it's something we're working on. It's important to be able to filter.

I'm getting used to the new format. Not sure I prefer it yet, but its' definitely starting to gel. The previous design was like an old comfy armchair...didn't look the best, but really comfy and you kinda knew where the holes were. Now we've got this swanky ergonomic forum that doesn't even recline! I might be going to far with the analogy, but it's acutally a real problem in my life at the moment, and since someone told me that only old people like recliners, I'm not sure I should get another one :)

Anyway, 2 issues for me, apologies if already discussed, I've been trying to keep up with this thread:

1. Uploading images is much more time consuming than before, and I've yet to succeed. I did create an album, with the correct permissions, but it still doesn't allow me to access it. This is the error: 03.27.2016-16.00.13 - pete8314's library
2. I want to update my sig, but the new rules limit it to 146 chars and 3 links. I've tried to keep my sig un-obnoxious, so is there any chance this can be increased, at least for Sponsors?

Anyway, 2 issues for me, apologies if already discussed, I've been trying to keep up with this thread:

1. Uploading images is much more time consuming than before, and I've yet to succeed. I did create an album, with the correct permissions, but it still doesn't allow me to access it. This is the error: 03.27.2016-16.00.13 - pete8314's library

I don't know if you've discovered this yet or not, but you don't need to mess around with albums, etc. The "trick" is to not use the image icon on the editing tool bar, but rather to use the "Upload a File" option just to the right of the "Post Reply" box. If you then select the "Full Image" option, it works similarly to the way it did with the old system.

I don't know if you've discovered this yet or not, but you don't need to mess around with albums, etc. The "trick" is to not use the image icon on the editing tool bar, but rather to use the "Upload a File" option just to the right of the "Post Reply" box. If you then select the "Full Image" option, it works similarly to the way it did with the old system.
Thanks - that helps!

Reactions: Andyw2100
Perhaps I am missing it, but I don't see any way to tell, when looking at a list of threads, that a thread includes a poll. This was possible, and useful under the old system.

Assuming I am correct, and there currently is no way to tell this (until you start reading posts in the thread, of course), is this something you'd consider modifying, Doug and Danny?

Thanks!

Same here. Now I think twice about whether to click on the TMC bookmark and usually decide against it.
I'm debating giving up too.
I used to log in every day, or few days, and read every new post since I was last on using the "new posts" link. Unfortunately, although that used to go back almost a week, it now only goes back about 10 hours, as such, the times I do come on here I feel like I'm missing most of the content anyway, and I can't find any other good way to view that other than individually going in to each forum section which is just a royal pain.

The destruction of the usability of this site just might drive me away.

I'm debating giving up too.
I used to log in every day, or few days, and read every new post since I was last on using the "new posts" link. Unfortunately, although that used to go back almost a week, it now only goes back about 10 hours, as such, the times I do come on here I feel like I'm missing most of the content anyway, and I can't find any other good way to view that other than individually going in to each forum section which is just a royal pain.

The destruction of the usability of this site just might drive me away.

Same here. While I appreciate that some things need to be fixed at the backend, I find I need to do a lot more clicking and moving back and forward then I used to. In the past I was able to catch up over the weekend, AND discover some new interesting topics to follow. Tapatalk may be unsafe, be unsupportive to site owners and probably has a business model that conflicts with the way TMC is paid for, but I'd happily pay a monthly fee for a decent mobile client, and never bother with the Web UI again!

Secondly, giving up just feels wrong. I learned so much and was able to help others. Could @doug and/or @danny perhaps give us some insight in their planning or roadmap? Transitioning between platforms is hard, and obviously the shop stays open while the remodelling goes on, but managing our expectations w.r.t. to expected changes and their planning would certainly help. Even if the proposed dates aren't met :)

I've been enjoying the cleaner look, and I trust that the folks working hard on running this site have its best interests in mind. Looking for 100% feature parity seems foolish; things change, some aspects get better, some aspects get worse, and the world moves forward.

• Helpful
Reactions: danny
I actually like the new look and feel better and better for each day. Dont miss the old setup at all now that I've found my usual links such as watched threads and new posts. Getting more post per page would be nice, but not a big deal:) its heaps better on ipad/iphone which is where I spend 98% of my browsing time!