Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I can’t imagine they will give FSD to EAP customers for free, they will want to cover the hardware upgrade costs hence the $2K and whatever the £ equates to. They’ll need to stick in HW3 and possibly MCU2 (with all the yellow screen border issues maybe they should do it at the same time) but who knows. The next week or so will hopefully answer some more questions

Reactions: PrGrPa and MIT_S60
Personally I can’t imagine they will give FSD to EAP customers for free, they will want to cover the hardware upgrade costs hence the $2K and whatever the £ equates to. They’ll need to stick in HW3 and possibly MCU2 (with all the yellow screen border issues maybe they should do it at the same time) but who knows. The next week or so will hopefully answer some more questions

My MCU needs to be replaced anyway as I have the dreaded yellow/orange band all around the border of my screen. I would be ok to pay a 1 hour service center rate to have the HW swapped out if they offer it for free. They may be more interested in 1) the increase data collection with everyone having FSD and also 2) easier to maintain software builds should everyone be at the same HW level.

My MCU needs to be replaced anyway as I have the dreaded yellow/orange band all around the border of my screen. I would be ok to pay a 1 hour service center rate to have the HW swapped out if they offer it for free. They may be more interested in 1) the increase data collection with everyone having FSD and also 2) easier to maintain software builds should everyone be at the same HW level.

MCU and AP hardware are completely different. AP3 hardware computer is behind the glove box. MCU is the screen and the computer behind it.

Elon already said that the MCU/2 retrofit program will be offered at some point but so far nothing has occurred. My guess is they are first trying to fix that "Yellow" screen issue with a new vendor before they can offer the MCU/2 retrofit program.

Source = Elon Musk on Twitter

Note: The MCU/2 retrofit program has absolutely nothing to do with AP/EAP/FSD.

Reactions: OPRCE and MIT_S60
They may be more interested in 1) the increase data collection with everyone having FSD and also 2) easier to maintain software builds should everyone be at the same HW level.

Yep. I think this makes a lot of sense. Since Tesla is apparently at the point where they are close to releasing their FSD software package, it is to their interest to get as many Tesla owners on FSD as possible for the reasons you mention. More FSD cars mean more data which in turns means getting to L4 faster. And to your second point, ultimately I think Tesla wants as much uniformity as possible in their software to keep things simple and make software updates easier. If they have AP1 with and without autopilot, AP2 with and without EAP, AP2.5 with just EAP and AP2.5 with FSD, AP3 with FSD, it's get confusing for their software updates.

Reactions: OPRCE
I'm just in the EAP boat, but if Tesla does the right thing and offers FSD to current EAP users, then anybody who purchased FSD needs to also be compensated fairly. This Early Access crap is not compensation.

I'll also add that for some reason, this type of unified customer-oriented opinion seems to be in short supply. Many people are very quick to blame fellow customers when they legitimately complain about getting screwed over.

Ah yes! The joys of living in the land of Lincoln, or should it be called the land of taxes?
Taxes not that bad unless you live in Cook county. Down State property taxes aren't that bad. Sales tax is on par with many areas. Income tax is close to average but in my case is zero. Which I think needs to be corrected. Many pay more than they should and then there are those like me who pay less than they should. Took forever to get my plates BUT they are EV specific and 2 year registration is $35.00.

Reactions: croman
Two sides to this argument, one can say that us "early adopters" paid for the tech, much in the same way we buy the latest iPhone at 1k+ knowing a couple years from now the same phone will be a few hundred. On the other hand several of us feel, myself included, we were sold a "bill of goods" that to this day has not been delivered on when we bought EAP & FSD. FSD I can agree with as that has always been represented as "in the future" However EAP, in my opinion, has been grossly misrepresented. Especially regarding the timeline. I don't even own the car I purchased EAP & FSD on anymore, as it has been over 2 yrs. And I STILL don't have what I was promised over 2 yrs ago in my current EAP HW 2.5 car.

I also feel those of us who bought in early should receive at least a partial refund. I'd be thrilled if Tesla would give me free FSD on my new car, which I didn't purchase because I question when and if it will be available.

Two sides to this argument, one can say that us "early adopters" paid for the tech, much in the same way we buy the latest iPhone at 1k+ knowing a couple years from now the same phone will be a few hundred. On the other hand several of us feel, myself included, we were sold a "bill of goods" that to this day has not been delivered on when we bought EAP & FSD. FSD I can agree with as that has always been represented as "in the future" However EAP, in my opinion, has been grossly misrepresented. Especially regarding the timeline. I don't even own the car I purchased EAP & FSD on anymore, as it has been over 2 yrs. And I STILL don't have what I was promised over 2 yrs ago in my current EAP HW 2.5 car.

I also feel those of us who bought in early should receive at least a partial refund. I'd be thrilled if Tesla would give me free FSD on my new car, which I didn't purchase because I question when and if it will be available.

Yes, the difference is that you could play for the $1k iPhone right there and then. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: zmarty