Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New info about wheel/tire choice in Design Studio.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The front tires last much longer though. Besides you'd have to drive very hard to get only 10,000 miles on the rear.

I didn't think about the AWD implications. They're likely to last about 20k, I guess, and becaue of AWD - distributed between all four.

You didn't have to drive very hard on Model S to get only 10k, but that was RWD only on the super-sticky compound.

Summer tires should NOT be the default choice on a CUV being sold in the United States. I can understand why customers in some areas of California or the Southwest might be OK with this, but it is extraordinarily :cursing:ing stupid to be shipping Summer tires to certain destinations during WINTER months. What moron in product planning decided this was a good idea?

My guess is Tesla is supply constrained on the all seasons.

This would make sense, but as a car guy it does make me angry. Tires are the absolute first line of defense in bad weather, and Michelin explicitly discourages their use in freezing weather conditions: http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/latitude-sport-3.html

Clicking on the "Summer Tire" icon shows the following warning:
Summer tires are primarily designed for high-performance vehicles and provide optimal dry and wet performance levels in a temperate environment. Summer tires are not designed to be used during the winter season where temperatures are colder and approach freezing consistently as their performance would be less than optimal.

Tire Rack http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Latitude+Sport+3 also warns:

However, like all summer tires, they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Going against the tire OEM instructions is asking for trouble.

Of course I want to see as many Model X reach customers as possible, but SAFETY should come FIRST.

IMO "all-season" tires, aren't. While I certainly agree that they're better in the snow/ice than summer performance tires, anyone driving in the snow/ice should have proper snow tires.

It really depends on your conditions though. In Charlotte, NC, I may get 6" of snow all year. They do a pretty decent job of salting and plowing the roads, though we sometimes get freezing rain. But to the point, all-seasons would be great here. With only a handful of days below freezing and almost 365 days of above-freezing ground temps, snow tires aren't really needed here even though they are far safer in those conditions.

It really depends on your conditions though. In Charlotte, NC, I may get 6" of snow all year. They do a pretty decent job of salting and plowing the roads, though we sometimes get freezing rain. But to the point, all-seasons would be great here. With only a handful of days below freezing and almost 365 days of above-freezing ground temps, snow tires aren't really needed here even though they are far safer in those conditions.

Yes, there's absolutely a utility/cost analysis with snow tires and all-season tires serve well in climates like Charlotte and Eugene (where I live). I suppose I should have qualified my statement with "regularly." (Anyone regularly driving in the snow/ice....)

My Model S came with the 21" wheels and performance tires. In the winter I run a set of 19" with Nokian WRG3 because it does occasionally snow and I occasionally get to go skiing. I've got a set of those on order for our Model X (20" wheels) because I've found them to be about the perfect balance for around here.

In the design studio I tried clicking between a X90D and an XP90D. The P model shows summer tires on the 20 inch wheels and the non P shows all season!!

Interesting. Well, I guess that's the way they're shipping them. I'm happy I got all seasons with ours... No need for sticky summer tires.

Um, Isn't that what I said to start this thread? ;-)

Was just browsing the studio and noticed some new information. All wheel choices now say they are "Equipped with summer tires." Yes, even the 20" wheels.

The 22" wheels have the added info saying, "Exchanges about 10-15% range for enhanced handling."

Black Onyx wheels are still showing, "Deliveries begin mid 2016."

Cheers!

Great question!

Went back and checked. It's just the P90D that shows "Summer Tires" for all wheel choices. The 70D and 90D both show "All Season Tires" for all wheel choices. The 22" wheels still show the "Exchanges about 10-15% range for enhanced handling." phrase even with all season tires though.

Isn't this the same range hit they say the 21" wheels and tires will cause in the S?

The decision to do so just baffled me. Having a performance series car doesn't automatically mean you want summer tires in winter. There's a reason I have a stack of Model S 21" wheels in my garage that hasn't been touched in 2 years.