Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Launch Mode - firmware 2.9.40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only P90DL owner that didn't yet get 2.9.40?

I just returned from being away since thanksgiving. It was peacefully sitting in the garage on WiFi and I thought for sure the download would have shown up by now. Do I need to go ask for it at the Service Center?

I don't have it yet either, but I'm in the midwest and won't be going to the drag strip any time soon, so I am not getting impatient yet.

I don't have it yet either, but I'm in the midwest and won't be going to the drag strip any time soon, so I am not getting impatient yet.
I'm in south Florida and scheduled to go the dragstrip on Jan 17, so I am getting impatient for at least the 11.2 sec 2.9.40 even if it isn't yet the 10.9 sec version that Motor Trend seems to have run.

No updates here since delivery Dec 9. Currently on 2.9.12. (anyone know why my posts have all that extra space before signature?)
Mine, delivered in Sept is on 2.7.56

I got the Launch Mode update on my P90D 2 weeks ago, but it's practically useless. Specifically, you can't engage it until you pre-heat the battery so that it's at max potential to transfer energy. I've tried doing that a couple of times and it tells me that it's projected time to do so is over an hour. I live near Philly and it's a mild winter, but with outside temps in the 40 - 50F range. Perhaps if it was the dog days of summer it'd be less time, but IMHO, when you want to engage Launch Mode, you want to be able to do so immediately, not wait for the car to warm the battery.

I wish that instead of having their developers working on stuff like that, that they'd address things more basic like fixing GPS, Autopilot, and the many other things people on this list have wisely suggested.

I've been successful using the mode even while the battery is working to reach optimum temp. In fact, in warm S. FL, I can launch as soon as I enable battery conditioning.

That said, it is a bit useless as I do not drive around in max bat and have no interest in doing a button dance before doing a pedal dance just to use launch (when it really does not seem to be any faster anyway).

I got the Launch Mode update on my P90D 2 weeks ago, but it's practically useless. Specifically, you can't engage it until you pre-heat the battery so that it's at max potential to transfer energy...
I'm curious which FW version of v7 you received?. Was it 2.9.68?[FONT=&amp]

Also, I'm curious which FW version(s) anyone else is running in a P90DL with Launch Mode. (I know 2.9.40 added Launch Mode for P85Ds, but the version(s) for P90DLs is probably different). [/FONT]

My P90DL is on 2.7.56 and I asked my Service Adviser for a push to the latest version with Launch Mode and he said that they "are n[FONT=&amp]ot certain if Launch Mode is a part of a specific firmware version or if it is entirely separate and not affected by a firmware push". I believe he is wrong, but rather than argue, I thought that going back and simply requesting a push to a specific FW version may be my best approach.[/FONT]

I'm curious which FW version of v7 you received?. Was it 2.9.68?[FONT=&amp]

Also, I'm curious which FW version(s) anyone else is running in a P90DL with Launch Mode. (I know 2.9.40 added Launch Mode for P85Ds, but the version(s) for P90DLs is probably different). [/FONT]

My P90DL is on 2.7.56 and I asked my Service Adviser for a push to the latest version with Launch Mode and he said that they "are n[FONT=&amp]ot certain if Launch Mode is a part of a specific firmware version or if it is entirely separate and not affected by a firmware push". I believe he is wrong, but rather than argue, I thought that going back and simply requesting a push to a specific FW version may be my best approach.[/FONT]

I don't believe the firmware versions for P85Ds and P90Ds have differed. More importantly, any version you managed to get your SC to push to your car now would include launch mode. You really wouldn't have a choice of versions. If you are able to convince them to push a firmware update to your car it will be the most recent update they have, which is generally the most recent update available, or, at worst, if the most recent update is very new, then one version back.

Checking The Firmware Upgrade Tracker (Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App) there appear to be three versions that have been released after 2.9.40.

Same here. I also worry about excess wear on components such as brakes, suspension, axles, etc. given the "squat" before launch. Given the very tiny acceleration benefit, I don't really see the point of risking the overuse of launch mode!

There is no way for it to be more wear than actually driving the car.

I'd probably have to do 100 launches to find the benefit (or not) in a statistically significant way. Maybe it makes a difference if you're using timing beams for zero reference, no idea.