Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Launch Mode - firmware 2.9.40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys think that something "else" is coming after the Launch Control in PXXD family? The fact that the Launch Control is not generally available over the air kind of implies it is a "beta" of sorts, and first came out unexpectedly with the P85D to P85D Ludicrous hardware upgrade.

So do you think something else is in the works?

Do you guys think that something "else" is coming after the Launch Control in PXXD family? The fact that the Launch Control is not generally available over the air kind of implies it is a "beta" of sorts, and first came out unexpectedly with the P85D to P85D Ludicrous hardware upgrade.

So do you think something else is in the works?

Possible, but also likely it's just not a "priority release" to Tesla and thus, mostly gets loaded as a result of the SvC's standing policy of updating cars to the latest firmware when they work on them. There have been many updates before that just didn't really go widespread and it could simply be Tesla has deemed this for the 2.9.x firmwares.

Possible, but also likely it's just not a "priority release" to Tesla and thus, mostly gets loaded as a result of the SvC's standing policy of updating cars to the latest firmware when they work on them. There have been many updates before that just didn't really go widespread and it could simply be Tesla has deemed this for the 2.9.x firmwares.

Also, no one knows when 7.1 will be released but there's wild unsubstantiated claims over at the teslamotors.com forum that SvC's (who really don't know either) are telling them that it's imminent.

My plan to test Launch Mode at the Irwindale dragstrip failed due to the track being closed yesterday due to rain, so will try next Thursday but the long term weather indicates rain again. I requested the upgrade last December 15th and tried a few launches with uncertain results. It has been too cold recently to bother to heat up the battery, so waiting for warmer weather.

I got the Launch Mode update on my P90D 2 weeks ago, but it's practically useless. Specifically, you can't engage it until you pre-heat the battery so that it's at max potential to transfer energy. I've tried doing that a couple of times and it tells me that it's projected time to do so is over an hour. I live near Philly and it's a mild winter, but with outside temps in the 40 - 50F range. Perhaps if it was the dog days of summer it'd be less time, but IMHO, when you want to engage Launch Mode, you want to be able to do so immediately, not wait for the car to warm the battery.

You do not need to wait for the pack warming to finish, just select/start it is enough.
Make sure you press the brake hard enough because it won't work when you only gently apply the brakes.
And when you're done just select sport mode and it'll stop warming the battery.
It's a pretty useless function but it gives me a grin so I say mission accomplished Tesla [emoji2]

You do not need to wait for the pack warming to finish, just select/start it is enough.
Make sure you press the brake hard enough because it won't work when you only gently apply the brakes.
And when you're done just select sport mode and it'll stop warming the battery.
It's a pretty useless function but it gives me a grin so I say mission accomplished Tesla [emoji2]

You can also just push the "pre-heat" words again to get the pop-up and turn it off that way while still remaining in insane/ludicrous mode.

My P90DL never got a download of a FW release with Launch Mode and the SvC refused to push it, so now I'm now patiently waiting for v7.1 and I'm assuming Launch Mode will be included even though it is not described in the release notes for v7.1.

Did anyone else first get Launch Mode when they got v7.1?

It is not in the release notes, have you attempted to do it?

Yes...but not properly... :redface:
As you mentionned, it's not in the release note so I didn't have proper instructions while the car.
So I went back to the original thread and RTFM...it helped.
So this second time, I enabled Max Battery Power and surprise, surprise, a bit of fancy pedal food work and 'Launch Mode Enabled' message appeared!

So, it's there!!!! :biggrin:

my wife's P85 got the update and my P90DL has not.... met a guy at the supercharger today and his P90DL didn't get it either...

My wife's P85 received v7.1 yesterday, but my P90DL still hasn't.

I joined the Firmware Tracker to report her update and I saw on the Tracker Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App that no P90Ds have reported receiving v7.1 yet, so I'm curious if any P90D owners here (with or without Ludicrous) have received v7.1 yet.