Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New member brucesurf has a question about charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow great info! Thanks guys. I'd certainly like to keep my kit minimal so an EVSE is probably my best option by the sound of it.

BTW Ray I note that Clipsal plug is 32A single phase or 16A 3 phase. For the record I was inaccurate in saying simply it was 32A...we were clearly talking about 3 phase. You were correct in your description :redface:

Last edited:
The three phase sockets are just sockets - the car determines how much to draw up to the maximum the socket will provide.
The 32AMP and 20 AMP plugs are also available from uniquip.

Yeah - or you can make/buy 20 AMP to 32 AMP adaptors (multiple ways to do this).

I use mine seldom; bit slow tho (30 KmH typical) vs three phase as above (50 KmH typical).
OK, i think i get it now.

What sort of computer stuff?
I work in the infrastructure team. studied computing at uni (read: 3 years of programming), moved into 3rd level desktop support/SOE design, these days i mainly manage teams, but occasionally i get to dirty my hands with some scripts or actual technical work :)
What did you do?

In practice, and this is what I have/ carry, 1 wall connector in my garage. Supplied by Tesla. 1 universal connector cable, supplied by Tesla, both with your car. The universal comes with a 10 amp tail that plugs into any standard outlet in Australia. This is the slowest way to charge - 10 km/ hr, but in a pinch....
Now the adapters. 1) 15 amp single phase, this requires the item on the left in your photo, plus the uni quip in line connector referenced by Ray. You also need a 15 amp plug, preferably but not essentially, the industrial grade one for waterproof reasons, but the one you can buy at Bunnings also works but with risk of water penetration. Must be wired to L1. On the uni quip connector - that is L1 to active in the 15amp plug. Earth and neutral essential. 3) & 4) 20 amp and 32 amp tails.
OK, so you basically carry the UMC (10A) with adapters for 15, 20, and 32 amps? I'm going to assume the pigtail is the thing that plugs into the "wall". So, the 15, 20, and 32A wall sockets all require different pigtails because they are physically different in their .. prongs? Are there other ones? like i dunno a 26A wall socket that's different again and needs a different pigtail?

OK, so you basically carry the UMC (10A) with adapters for 15, 20, and 32 amps? I'm going to assume the pigtail is the thing that plugs into the "wall". So, the 15, 20, and 32A wall sockets all require different pigtails because they are physically different in their .. prongs? Are there other ones? like i dunno a 26A wall socket that's different again and needs a different pigtail?

The UMC currently has only one official Australian pigtail, the 10A standard one. What some have done is to buy the European spec 3-phase pigtail and make adaptors to convert a euro 3-phase plug to an Oz one (either 32A or 20A variants).

Investigations have also discovered that you can make an adaptor between 1 phase of the euro pigtail and an Oz 15A plug and the UMC will correctly recognise and charge from the single connected phase. However you need to be cautious doing this as the euro pigtail sets the charge rate at 16A per phase and so will overload a standard 15A connection. You should dial down the maximum current on the car's charge screen if you do this.

There are actually a whole range of other single phase plug/socket specifications of increasing amperage (with increasing larger pins and differing earth shapes) but I don't think I've ever seen them used, so would be pointless trying to have adaptors for those. Single phase 10A, 15A and 3 phase 20A and 32A variants are all you'll ever see in any quantity in the wild (at least that are of use to a Tesla with its charging limitations).

OK, i think i get it now.

I work in the infrastructure team. studied computing at uni (read: 3 years of programming), moved into 3rd level desktop support/SOE design, these days i mainly manage teams, but occasionally i get to dirty my hands with some scripts or actual technical work :)
What did you do?

Lennier sums it up perfectly.

The UMC currently has only one official Australian pigtail, the 10A standard one. What some have done is to buy the European spec 3-phase pigtail and make adaptors to convert a euro 3-phase plug to an Oz one (either 32A or 20A variants).

Investigations have also discovered that you can make an adaptor between 1 phase of the euro pigtail and an Oz 15A plug and the UMC will correctly recognise and charge from the single connected phase. However you need to be cautious doing this as the euro pigtail sets the charge rate at 16A per phase and so will overload a standard 15A connection. You should dial down the maximum current on the car's charge screen if you do this.

There are actually a whole range of other single phase plug/socket specifications of increasing amperage (with increasing larger pins and differing earth shapes) but I don't think I've ever seen them used, so would be pointless trying to have adaptors for those. Single phase 10A, 15A and 3 phase 20A and 32A variants are all you'll ever see in any quantity in the wild (at least that are of use to a Tesla with its charging limitations).
good to know, thanks. As my car only has one charger, is the 32A useless for me? Or can I still draw 16A from a 32A or 20A wall socket?

Wow 45 years? Not trying to be a smart ass, but does that mean you started with fortran punch cards? I'm not sure what was around in the 70s.. cobol?
Those applications are impressive, well done.

With the Universal connector cable supplied by Tesla, you can only draw 16 amps per phase. But if you DONT have a 32 amp plug and that is the only socket available, you are going to draw nothing! It will draw 16 amps from both a 20 and a 32 amp very safely without overheating. This discussion has nothing to do with your onboard charger. The UMC is sized the way it is specifically to suit the unit. So, even with dual chargers onboard, you cannot make use of the additional capacity with the Tesla cable. You can but only with third party 32 amp capable connectors.

With the Universal connector cable supplied by Tesla, you can only draw 16 amps per phase. But if you DONT have a 32 amp plug and that is the only socket available, you are going to draw nothing! It will draw 16 amps from both a 20 and a 32 amp very safely without overheating. This discussion has nothing to do with your onboard charger. The UMC is sized the way it is specifically to suit the unit. So, even with dual chargers onboard, you cannot make use of the additional capacity with the Tesla cable. You can but only with third party 32 amp capable connectors.
I see, thank you. OK, i believe i have all the knowledge i require now. Thanks to all for patiently explaining it to me. Probably murphy's law will kick in and by the time my Tesla is delivered they'll have an official australian plug!

hah