Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 died in midtown Manhattan during rush hour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In response to the question of whether I have my car back: no I don’t. It just broke down on Thursday. On Friday when I went back to the SC to pick up my loaner, it was on some kind of dolly and it appeared they had not started working on it yet. The loaner is an older (2015) Model S — same one I had while my car was in the shop for 2 weeks. In that respect — providing a loaner — the dealer has done the right thing. Otherwise, the service has been disappointing — uncommunicative and barely courteous. At first I was a bit offended, but now I chalk it up to their being overwhelmed with problems they’re ill-equipped to handle. As someone mentioned, they are surprisingly dependent on Tesla Calif. The tech I spoke to when I picked the car up (the second time) explained to me that one of the reasons it took so long to come to a diagnosis (albeit an incorrect or incomplete one, it turns out) is the time difference between New York and CA.

I’m aware that I haven’t met the NY Lemon Law criteria yet, but I’m well on my way and hoping to cut the process short by asking Tesla to take the car back. There are a couple of reasons I want to return the car. One is that I have lost confidence that I can go somewhere in it without getting stranded. It’s a bit scary the way these cars suddenly become undriveable. I had an Alfa Romeo GTV6 in the ‘80’s that ended up costing 1/2 again the original purchase price, but i had to have it towed only once in five years. Like I did the Alfa, I love driving the Tesla, but I was younger then and more forgiving.) The other reason is that I’m afraid the service history of the Tesla will have a substantial negative impact on the resale price. I for one would be hesitant to buy a car with a documented history like this one has.

Thanks for all the comments.

In response to the question of whether I have my car back: no I don’t. It just broke down on Thursday. On Friday when I went back to the SC to pick up my loaner, it was on some kind of dolly and it appeared they had not started working on it yet. The loaner is an older (2015) Model S — same one I had while my car was in the shop for 2 weeks. In that respect — providing a loaner — the dealer has done the right thing. Otherwise, the service has been disappointing — uncommunicative and barely courteous. At first I was a bit offended, but now I chalk it up to their being overwhelmed with problems they’re ill-equipped to handle. As someone mentioned, they are surprisingly dependent on Tesla Calif. The tech I spoke to when I picked the car up (the second time) explained to me that one of the reasons it took so long to come to a diagnosis (albeit an incorrect or incomplete one, it turns out) is the time difference between New York and CA.

I’m aware that I haven’t met the NY Lemon Law criteria yet, but I’m well on my way and hoping to cut the process short by asking Tesla to take the car back. There are a couple of reasons I want to return the car. One is that I have lost confidence that I can go somewhere in it without getting stranded. It’s a bit scary the way these cars suddenly become undriveable. I had an Alfa Romeo GTV6 in the ‘80’s that ended up costing 1/2 again the original purchase price, but i had to have it towed only once in five years. Like I did the Alfa, I love driving the Tesla, but I was younger then and more forgiving.) The other reason is that I’m afraid the service history of the Tesla will have a substantial negative impact on the resale price. I for one would be hesitant to buy a car with a documented history like this one has.

Well if Tesla gets this fixed I think this history will have no impact on its resale value. Additionally if they get it fixed I suspect you won't want to sell it because this should not happen again, like ever. Something's wrong in the high voltage system. And I think you're right the local service guys are totally dependent on the better trained and more knowledgeable techs in California. It shouldn't be that way but unfortunately what I found is that the level of sophistication in a lot of the service centers is not very high. Often times they make claims for example about Battery Technology or battery charging that I know to be counterfactual. I think all this is a function of how explosive Tesla's growth has been. On the other hand I have had mobile service guys who were extremely knowledgeable. Maybe they were better trained? I don't know. But in any case good luck with this and keep us posted. Should be an interesting story one way or the other.

This sounds excessive and irrational to me.
Clearly there’s a problem. They will fix it, life will go on.
A lot of people here, on this thread seem to have a need to create excessive drama in their life.
Just let them fix it, and this frustrating blip will be gone.

Although, if fighting, suing, and drama is more enjoyable than driving the car, I guess that explains it.
Are you for real? Somebody has a brand new car that dies in a Manhattan rush hour traffic and is really upset and you pathologize that upset? Put yourself in the other person's shoes and get off your high horse.

Are you for real? Somebody has a brand new car that dies in a Manhattan rush hour traffic and is really upset and you pathologize that upset? Put yourself in the other person's shoes and get off your high horse.

Yup. I’m for real.
I’ll say it again, lots of folks here seem to have the need to be overly dramatic.

A new car breaking down sucks. Any car breaking down sucks.
So you take it in, and get it fixed. How does all the drama help. ?

Also, accusing me of “Patholigizing” anyone is also overly dramatic, so you can add yourself to the list. :)

The word Pathologize would mean to
regard him as psychologically abnormal or unhealthy. I didn’t imply that at all.

I’m saying there is too much drama, and that is much different. Nice word though.

time difference between New York and CA, really?? they can't figure out a 3 hr time difference

Yup. I’m for real.
I’ll say it again, lots of folks here seem to have the need to be overly dramatic.

Also, accusing me of “Patholigizing” anyone is also overly dramatic, so you can add yourself to the list. :)

regard him as psychologically abnormal or unhealthy. I didn’t imply that at all.

I’m saying there is too much drama, and that is much different. Nice word though.

You can parse this anyway you like. You climbed all over somebody who had their car break down, a new car, not once, but twice. You accused him of basically being a drama queen. You appear to lack basic empathy. I suspect if your brand new car broke down a couple of times in the first week of ownership, and you were upset with Tesla and somebody told you to "get over it and snap out of it" . . you'd probably find that an unacceptable response. End of discussion.

Last edited:
Yup. I’m for real.

If you choose to call it drama - fine.

The primary reason many things have changed in this country is from what people have called "drama". Fine.

Things are currently changing in this country because of "drama". Fine.

Tesla isn't excluded from "drama" if drama going to get a positive change made. Fine with me. I'm not trying to avoid it.

Every attitude towards Tesla has been sincere and honest without bashing or degrading them....that's ethical and moral. If you call that drama....then that's what its going to have to be.

Just think....100 years ago....I wouldn't have been allowed to buy anything like a Tesla. NOT because of finances.....but....anyway, Thanks to what was known as drama at that time ( and since then )......I now can.

Last edited:
time difference between New York and CA, really?? they can't figure out a 3 hr time difference

I've no idea if Tesla pays "book time" or not to its techs.

You realize these are employees that keep fixed hours - 8 to 5 generally with mandated breaks. I wouldn't be surprised if the CA team isn't the same. For example in my organization my support desk is required to pay hourly to comply with wage and hour laws. No idea about the level of autonomy and supervision the CA tech support team has to determine how they are paid or the hours they are mandated.

So you get 5 hours of working time not including breaks on either side of the US. And that doesn't mean the CA team may be able to immediately solve the problem.

So yes, for those of us in the US that keep eastern time can actually have problems when we deal with other time zones.

You can parse this anyway you like. You climbed all over somebody who had their car break down, a new car, not once, but twice. You accused him of basically being a drama queen. You appear to lack basic empathy. I suspect if your brand new car broke down a couple of times in the first week of ownership, and you were upset with Tesla and somebody told you to "get over it and snap out of it" . . you'd probably find that an unacceptable response. End of discussion.

Lol.
I don’t have a problem with someone being upset that their car broke down.
I just have little tolerance for irrational drama, (also by other posts here) that exaggerates a situation well beyond what it needs to be. Similar to your reply.

• Disagree
Reactions: LionXng
If you choose to call it drama - fine.

The primary reason many things have changed in this country is from what people have called "drama". Fine.

Things are currently changing in this country because of "drama". Fine.

Tesla isn't excluded from "drama" if drama going to get a positive change made. Fine with me. I'm not trying to avoid it.

Every attitude towards Tesla has been sincere and honest without bashing or degrading them....that's ethical and moral. If you call that drama....then that's what its going to have to be.

Just think....100 years ago....I wouldn't have been allowed to buy anything like a Tesla. NOT because of finances.....but....anyway, Thanks to what was known as drama at that time ( and since then )......I now can.

So I think you’re saying we need to be dramatic and exaggerate things beyond what they need to be, to get things done. ...

I’m not sure I agree with that at all. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: LionXng

Don't worry about it dfwatt.

Tesla isn't doing right by the OP. He still has no car. I'm going to keep encouraging him to keep his focus through this process and do what is necessary to remedy his issue in any way he sees fit.

Tesla has had his car longer than he has. There is no opinion necessary that this isn't right.

So I think you’re saying we need to be dramatic and exaggerate things beyond what they need to be, to get things done. ...

I’m not sure I agree with that at all. :)

I don't mind you disagreeing at all. I really really don't. Do what you have to do.

I want to encourage and help people in the OP's situation in that he/she isn't alone in the idea to pursue a remedy as strongly as they have to. They don't have their car. Tesla has had his car longer than they have.

Some people's cars are more important to them as other peoples cars are important to them.

I believe that's fine.

If your cars aren't as important to you as mine is to me....fine. No criticism to you.
If your cars are more important to you than mine is to me.....fine. No criticism to you.

I support people based on their desires...not mine. If you post here and you feel that you are receiving unsatisfactory support and response from Tesla - I'm behind you if Tesla is wrong.

I have the ability to not make people have to have the same opinion as me. Wrong is Wrong. Tesla CAN remedy this without repair. For some reason they haven't / won't.

Some people fight for what is right and others don't. No criticism from me either way. Do what you do.

This situation is ridiculous based on the players involved. We all know that Elon and Tesla responds to social media and possibly TMC. That's phenomenal on their part for many reasons.

If we can help get HIS car situation remedied and others.....then all the better for everyone.

Last edited:
I've no idea if Tesla pays "book time" or not to its techs.

You realize these are employees that keep fixed hours - 8 to 5 generally with mandated breaks. I wouldn't be surprised if the CA team isn't the same. For example in my organization my support desk is required to pay hourly to comply with wage and hour laws. No idea about the level of autonomy and supervision the CA tech support team has to determine how they are paid or the hours they are mandated.

So you get 5 hours of working time not including breaks on either side of the US. And that doesn't mean the CA team may be able to immediately solve the problem.

So yes, for those of us in the US that keep eastern time can actually have problems when we deal with other time zones.

wow I should tell that to my EST work colleagues to stop booking meetings at 6 AM :)

j/k aside this is Tesla, they don't follow really follow rules Column: Why is Tesla fighting a rule that would force electric-car manufacturers to treat their workers well? and ofcourse the more recent CA stay at home orders..