Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well maybe if there's a Highland "plaid".
MW-GA384_musk_ZDR_20171217232830.jpg

• Love
Reactions: OleJohnny
Don't know if this will help anyone to visualize how the stalkless design works, but i saw a few folks wanting to see it in real life.
Really good video, thank you for posting it!
For me its not a big deal and im sure ill learn. It is my first EV so there are many, many other things to learn also, so it doesn't outweigh all of the other really, really cool things that the car has. I choose to focus on the good things, any inconvienince in retraining my muscle memory on the odd chance it might end the world if i dont indicate exiting a roundabout is probably worth it haha.

The 3 options - Change it (become a telsa engineer and provide input, or buy a 3rd party product), Accept it (opening prejudices and judgement to give it a go) or leave it (and buy a BYD atto, lol)

Reactions: zoomer0056
Really good video, thank you for posting it!
For me its not a big deal and im sure ill learn. It is my first EV so there are many, many other things to learn also, so it doesn't outweigh all of the other really, really cool things that the car has. I choose to focus on the good things, any inconvienince in retraining my muscle memory on the odd chance it might end the world if i dont indicate exiting a roundabout is probably worth it haha.

The 3 options - Change it (become a telsa engineer and provide input, or buy a 3rd party product), Accept it (opening prejudices and judgement to give it a go) or leave it (and buy a BYD atto, lol)
I honestly really like the change. I think most folks who are concerned about the change based on their driving habits/scenarios underestimate their ability to easily pick it up like it’s nothing. Even if you don’t love all of the changes, as long as there’s more of the car you love than you don’t, you bought the right car for you!

Used to be like that in the mid-sized US town I live in North Carolina but in the past three years, they have been converting many intersections to roundabouts. I believe the trend is that also here in the US, we will get more and more roundabouts. Also, as far as I recall, the last time I drove to DC, they also had many roundabouts there.

Nevertheless, I agree with many here that before you try it out, you cannot be sure if you will really miss the stalks. I do not like the removal but think that I could adapt with time.
The architect of the street grid in DC was L'Enfant and he was French and I think that's why you see some roundabouts (which are more common in Europe) in DC metro area too.

I think the street design experts believe that roundabouts substantially reduce idling time, are efficient at traffic management, and are safer, so based on that, I also expect more roundabouts in the US.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Just wanting to chime in as a Norwegian due to the Bjørn video, however it might be like this in other countries; here if you're going left in a roundabout you have to signal to the left, then halfway through the roundabout you have to signal out to the right; indicating that you're about to leave the roundabout. There's no way I'm upgrading to a Highland.

Well maybe if there's a Highland "plaid".
I had to look this up. Its weird in my area to signal left in a single lane circle as if youre at a 3 way stop. It's single file so to me it's not useful to signal left when entering a circle. But, that's the norm in Norway. When I visit I will follow the way.
Screenshot_20230904_154632_Chrome.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: bay74
They are indeed installing roundabouts at many intersections down here in S.FL and the rule is to yield to cars already in the circle. Of course, some don't and try to cut other drivers off, but for the most part, they figure it out. I haven't noticed anyone using their indicators for entering or leaving.

They are indeed installing roundabouts at many intersections down here in S.FL and the rule is to yield to cars already in the circle. Of course, some don't and try to cut other drivers off, but for the most part, they figure it out. I haven't noticed anyone using their indicators for entering or leaving.
Sounds identical to here in Adelaide, South Australia and they are very common, even double roundabouts! We have had them forever. Indicators are more likely indicating where someone came from rather than where they are intending to go, no one cares, its a free for all. I sometime just randomly indicate with no intention to turn, or turn my hazard lights on to indicate im turning both left and right...
Just kidding :)

Just be careful with national laws and rules in Europe. In Germany, for instance, it is prohibited to indicate when entering a roundabout, but it is obligatory to indicate before exiting. In Italy cars in a roundabout do not have the right of way.

In Italy cars in a roundabout do not have the right of way.
So how does that work in Italy? Cars entering the roundabout have the right of way and cars circling the roundabout have to stop to let them in? Seems like traffic would come to a stop in the roundabout, blocking all the entrances to the roundabout and causing everything to come to a standstill.

I think the street design experts believe that roundabouts substantially reduce idling time, are efficient at traffic management, and are safer, so based on that, I also expect more roundabouts in the US.
Seems to really happen. In mid-Ohio we had two red-light-controlled very busy intersections with constant lengthy backups. Both were replaced with roundabouts and back-ups just disappeared overnight. Drivers adapted very quickly even though these were the first roundabouts in the area. After five years there were zero accidents at both of them.

Side benefit: much lower pollution levels near the intersection given few cars idling for any period of time.

Biggest issue may perhaps be the much larger amount of land they require vs. a four-way stop sign or traffic light.

Reactions: dakhlkt22
Seems to really happen. In mid-Ohio we had two red-light-controlled very busy intersections with constant lengthy backups. Both were replaced with roundabouts and back-ups just disappeared overnight. Drivers adapted very quickly even though these were the first roundabouts in the area. After five years there were zero accidents at both of them.

Side benefit: much lower pollution levels near the intersection given few cars idling for any period of time.

Biggest issue may perhaps be the much larger amount of land they require vs. a four-way stop sign or traffic light.
They do take more land, which can be a challenge in built-up areas. But really nice that the center almost always becomes green space.

Reactions: SalisburySam

I happened to hear a Freakonomics episode about this. They also started going into how much it costs to buy all the heavy duty steel posts and traffic lights and wire the electronics. The amounts were surprisingly high. So when it comes time to replace a traffic light, it may make sense to replace with a roundabout. You could even consider paying some of the neighboring owners for a slice of their land to create a space large enough for a roundabout. Even if the upfront costs are higher, the reduction in idling and the enhanced safety might make it worth it in the long run.

I honestly really like the change. I think most folks who are concerned about the change based on their driving habits/scenarios underestimate their ability to easily pick it up like it’s nothing. Even if you don’t love all of the changes, as long as there’s more of the car you love than you don’t, you bought the right car for you!
I wonder what will be the behavior if the driver accidentally releases the seat bell while the car is running on the road. Will the system ignore the park functionality? (with the stalk on current models, P/N are ignored if we push the stalk up more than once).

I wonder what will be the behavior if the driver accidentally releases the seat bell while the car is running on the road. Will the system ignore the park functionality? (with the stalk on current models, P/N are ignored if we push the stalk up more than once).
Yes. If your foot is off of the accelerator it will slow and stop and park. If you don’t slow down it doesn’t do anything just beeps to put on your seatbelt.

Reactions: rlsd
The stalk for the PRNDL is great for parking and parallel parking situations. No need to explain why a stalk is great for turn signals and wipers.
No stalks is not a benefit. The only reason it's done is that it's a large cost savings measure.

Is it the end of the world? Obviously not. Tesla alpha tested it on lower volume 'halo' products like the S and X, improved functionality for the 3.
I'm sure it will be in the Y, whenever it gets redesigned.

Predictably, i'm sure the Y will have all the same upgrades as the new 3 with refinements added. Being their largest volume product, the lessons learned on the new 3 will be streamlined into the Y where the cost of problematic changes on millions of parts would be a large expense.

Overall, really like the new 3 enough to wait and buy it.