Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stalk for the PRNDL is great for parking and parallel parking situations. No need to explain why a stalk is great for turn signals and wipers.
No stalks is not a benefit. The only reason it's done is that it's a large cost savings measure.

Is it the end of the world? Obviously not. Tesla alpha tested it on lower volume 'halo' products like the S and X, improved functionality for the 3.
I'm sure it will be in the Y, whenever it gets redesigned.

Predictably, i'm sure the Y will have all the same upgrades as the new 3 with refinements added. Being their largest volume product, the lessons learned on the new 3 will be streamlined into the Y where the cost of problematic changes on millions of parts would be a large expense.

Overall, really like the new 3 enough to wait and buy it.
Yoke on S plaid was somewhat similar, and after ~ 12 months one could get an actual wheel vs. the Yoke. I wonder what the take up on WHEEL vs. YOKE is on plaid S and X models vs. when Yoke only.

So how does that work in Italy? Cars entering the roundabout have the right of way and cars circling the roundabout have to stop to let them in? Seems like traffic would come to a stop in the roundabout, blocking all the entrances to the roundabout and causing everything to come to a standstill.
Be a nice person and YIELD.
Traffic will slow down and/or stop for less than 2 seconds. not a big deal.

I thought the misaligned led strips were a nice touch.

Monro Live will have a field day with that decision. I've heard on their channel before that they always recommend to their clients (auto manufacturers) to not have design elements / lines continuing from the door to the dash because it draws the eye there and makes it very easy to tell if the alignment is off by even a tiny amount.

Model 3/Y aftermarket is HUGE. I bet we'll see an aftermarket steering wheel with turn signal stalks within 6 months of the new Model 3 release. I don't know if the drive selector will be doable though but thats a much lesser issue.

I’m not a mechanic or a software engineer by any means but if it’s all electronically controlled some smart cookies will work it out. Especially if there is a buck to be made.

Model 3/Y aftermarket is HUGE. I bet we'll see an aftermarket steering wheel with turn signal stalks within 6 months of the new Model 3 release. I don't know if the drive selector will be doable though but thats a much lesser issue.
I’m not a mechanic or a software engineer by any means but if it’s all electronically controlled some smart cookies will work it out. Especially if there is a buck to be made.

Enhance Auto is working on aftermarket stalks for the S/X and next-gen 3, and they claim that gear shifting will be included.

This video shows a prototype version in a Model S:

1693948120963.png

Debating if I should pick up a Performance Model 3 inventory at a discount, or wait for this new one. I'm seeing some for $48k - $7500 fed tax credit would leave it at $41k. I don't know how much the new ones will cost and if it's worth the price difference. What does the forum think?

Debating if I should pick up a Performance Model 3 inventory at a discount, or wait for this new one. I'm seeing some for $48k - $7500 fed tax credit would leave it at $41k. I don't know how much the new ones will cost and if it's worth the price difference. What does the forum think?

There is no mention of a Performance model yet...conceivably, it could be a year or two out before we see a refreshed one.

Enhance Auto is working on aftermarket stalks for the S/X and next-gen 3, and they claim that gear shifting will be included.

This video shows a prototype version in a Model S:

View attachment 971289
I wonder if they will make a display that goes in front of the steering wheel like what you can get for the 2023 model?
Im assuming the steering column is a different shape so it might not fit.

Early days i guess, and not a high priority but interesting nonetheless :)

So how does that work in Italy? Cars entering the roundabout have the right of way and cars circling the roundabout have to stop to let them in? Seems like traffic would come to a stop in the roundabout, blocking all the entrances to the roundabout and causing everything to come to a standstill.
I've always been amused by that (and in France too). Design a roundabout in a way that doesnt work (since entering traffic will get blocked at the next junction and so everything gets gridlocked).

I’ll be surprised if this is allowed, and certainly for transmission engagement.
Allowed by whom? Tesla or gov't?

You can already use aftermarket devices today (for example, the S3XY buttons, from the same company) to activate left-stalk functions like turn signals, headlights, and wipers, and right-stalk functions like TACC/AP engagement. TBD on gear shifting.

Reactions: TimTam
Can always gaffa tape a small piece of wood or similar to the side of the steering column and put one of their sexy key buttons on the top and the bottom. voila! Indicator stalk is back baby!
Allowed by whom? Tesla or gov't?

You can already use aftermarket devices today (for example, the S3XY buttons, from the same company) to activate left-stalk functions like turn signals, headlights, and wipers, and right-stalk functions like TACC/AP engagement. TBD on gear shifting.
I just didn’t think the S3XY buttons could do or were approved to do DOT/NHTSA type requirements like TURN SIGNALS or DRIVE TRAIN control. To date, I don’t think any of those functions have been enabled via this OBD or app interface integration.