Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just drove a new highland this afternoon! :) Here are my thoughts:

• The suspension feels way more smooth and refined. Not being jostled around like before, no loud KER-THUNK as you drive over pavement cracks or potholes. Very noticeable difference in ride quality and suspension-related NVH. Wife also noticed it from the passenger seat. If the highland springs and shocks fit up onto older model 3's, I can see this being a VERY popular mod. Too bad swapping out all the bushings and whatnot would be a much bigger project.
  • Exterior looks are a win in my book. Obviously subjective, but yeah, it looks good. Not good enough to make the old ones look bad though, which is nice.
  • The interior feels like a downgrade--denim instead of leather. It's fine, but for someone looking for upscale, it feels more economy. The ambient light is fun to play with, but pointless. Cooled seats work a helluva lot better than my old Lexus.
  • General road noise not emanating from the suspension and tires doesn't feel particularly diminished. I can still hear every other car on the road just like I could before.
  • TURN SIGNALLLLLSSSS!!!!!! What a terrible idea 👎👎👎👎

The fact that an aftermarket company is working on a fix for something as fundamental as gear shifting just screams “FAIL!”
I have been driving my model 3 highland without stalks for just over a week.

I actually prefer it now, its not such a big deal as being made out.

Your hand is pretty much where it needs to be, its just a little bit of recalibration.

The fact that an aftermarket company is working on a fix for something as fundamental as gear shifting just screams “FAIL!”
Actually the gear shifting can be done in two ways already (screen and buttons).

The turn signals is probably the bigger benefit for people that want them.

I test drove the highland earlier this week and the gear shifting was a piece of cake. The turn signals was a bit different but by the end of the drive, I was quite used to them.

It would be better for Tesla to offer the stalkless as an option like they do now for the yoke on the S/X. Better yet would be steer by wire.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Both

And the s3xy buttons company is working on stalks.
But the s3xy buttons are not a direct connection, there will always be some risk they don’t work. That’s fine for changing some random settings (or some that aren’t directly accessible) or having a button for some function, but drive related functions should have something tangible and root reliable IMHO.

Tesla knows this, and has probably had to comply with NHTSA or DOT regulations already which is why they have a physical above up by the hazard button or in the lower console (as in the S,X models today)

Reactions: sleepydoc
But the s3xy buttons are not a direct connection, there will always be some risk they don’t work. That’s fine for changing some random settings (or some that aren’t directly accessible) or having a button for some function, but drive related functions should have something tangible and root reliable IMHO.
True. I thought about that too but this looks pretty instant. (Can see the blinkers activate quickly.). Maybe they do have a direct connection.

Even if not a direct connection, I’m hoping the failure rate is low enough to basically not matter.

Tesla knows this, and has probably had to comply with NHTSA or DOT regulations already which is why they have a physical above up by the hazard button or in the lower console (as in the S,X models today)
Not to mention you’re dependent on a 3rd party interface for core driving functions.

I think the S3XY buttons are a great idea to increase functionality and usability but in this case I’d prefer Tesla actually design the car properly so it’s usable when you get it.

What about not having a gear shift stalk? Is that done on the screen, or are there buttons somewhere?

Gear shift was a non-issue for me. Easy to do on the far left side of the screen. When you come to a stop, the gear shifter automatically pops up. I'm sure it would take a little getting used to, but no big deal.

Turn signals, on the other hand, are just wrong. My hand reached for the stalk EVERY time. And for those who go back and forth between multiple vehicles, you'll NEVER get used to it. And even if the tesla was the only car you drove, there are two little turn signal buttons on the steering wheel that your thumb will never be able to distinguish by feel. Meaning you have to take your eyes of the road to indicate a turn. And god help you if you need your turn signal while the wheel is at an angle. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. If there weren't aftermarket stalk options in the works, this alone would be enough for me not to consider the highland, despite it's many improvements over the old model.

Gear shift was a non-issue for me. Easy to do on the far left side of the screen. When you come to a stop, the gear shifter automatically pops up. I'm sure it would take a little getting used to, but no big deal.
What about doing something like a K turn.. any feeling about how that works/feels and responsiveness or reliability? Using the screen controls?

Reactions: dronus
It seems many with actual long term use of it, prefer stalkless over time.

The issue is getting over that initial hurdle of “getting used to it” and the attitude going in. If one just “knows” they hate it and will continue to hate it, they are gonna have a bad time.

If I were to buy the highland, I would first go stalkless and after a couple months, assess if I need to buy stalks. But I don’t know when the stalks will be available.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Seems everyone uses the phrase "get used to it" when referring to using new controls on the car. The proper phrase is "learn how to use".
I don’t think I’ll ever “get used to” you repeatedly posting this same comment in every thread about stalk removal. 😉

And aside from the repetition, I also disagree with the substance. I don’t think they mean the same thing, and someone might correctly use one or the other phrase depending on the context and their attitude towards stalk removal.

I'm driving now for a bit more than 1 week with my new M3, and honestly, I do not miss the stalks at all !

The first day, you are aware of being stalkless, so you pay extra attention to learn using them. The second day was maybe the worst, you tend to slip back to an old habit as you just aren't as attentive as the first day. But as of the 3rd day, it has become a habit of using the buttons and honestly, the driving experience is as good as before with stalks.

Side note: for roundabouts, the time to get used to stalkless driving will take much more time, but again, I believe it will just be a matter of time to build in the habit to know exactly where the button will be.