Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Interestingly, the yoke actually costs $1000 more now - can we infer that it costs more to produce?)
IIRC the extra cost is became it a service center retrofit at or after delivery (a "dealer installed option" in the traditional automaker's vernacular), due to insufficient order take rate to bother stocking parts, tooling, training factory workers to produce cars with the yoke, and keeping inventory of yoked cars. The same thing happened years ago with the 80A dual charger upgrade (then 72A upgrade).

Well, I may well end up with a Volvo if Elon keeps up with the stupid decisions
After 4 Model S'es I already ended up with a Taycan and a Q8 eTron instead of Model S and Model X. Perhaps I'm in the minority customer group Elon decided is worth dropping in order to save money on production. Maybe Tesla netted a profit on that decision - going mass production will always lose some early adopters.

Reactions: sleepydoc
After 4 Model S'es I already ended up with a Taycan and a Q8 eTron instead of Model S and Model X. Perhaps I'm in the minority customer group Elon decided is worth dropping in order to save money on production. Maybe Tesla netted a profit on that decision - going mass production will always lose some early adopters.
Hard to see how they netted a profit off of 2 missed sales - if they're going 'mass market' then they need to appeal to the mass market which decidedly isn't with a yoke and no stalks. My solace is in the fact that someone could see the writing on the wall with the yoke and walked back that decision. Either Elon was smart enough to reverse himself or there were people at Tesla smart enough to stand up to him.

I still think Tesla's have the best EV drivetrain on the market, not to mention the best charging network. It's sad when they bring down the car for stupid reasons like a yoke or stalks.

Hard to see how they netted a profit off of 2 missed sales - if they're going 'mass market' then they need to appeal to the mass market which decidedly isn't with a yoke and no stalks. My solace is in the fact that someone could see the writing on the wall with the yoke and walked back that decision. Either Elon was smart enough to reverse himself or there were people at Tesla smart enough to stand up to him.

I still think Tesla's have the best EV drivetrain on the market, not to mention the best charging network. It's sad when they bring down the car for stupid reasons like a yoke or stalks.
Sometimes dropping X% of customers in order to save Y% of the cost can net a profit if Y>>X. Remember that we're talking profit, not revenue. That said, in this case it is hard for me to see how stalkless yoke would have mass appeal. The fact that Tesla partially reverted to stalkless wheel tells me their own sales numbers tell them it's a dud. Stalks might take another few years, as Elon is definitely stubborn and will never openly admit he was wrong. Maybe in a few years stalkless yoke will make a comeback on the S3XY with variable ratio steer by wire, if it succeeds on the Cybertruck. However, knowing some people who worked close with him in the past, he was pushing for steering-wheel-less cars from the beginning. He even wanted to get rid of all screens, just have people use their phones.

Reactions: sleepydoc
70/30 stalks.. similar to having a wheel on a model X plaid at this point.
It Depends on whether the stalkless 'features' (such as they are) are available with both versions. The yoke has the nominal advantage that it doesn't block the screen but there is no clear advantage to the stalkless design that I can discern and there's the potential disadvantage that it may harm resale value. (There's no one that will decide not to buy a car that has stalks but there are plenty of people who would decide not to buy a car that doesn't have stalks.)

Given the choice I would bet most (80-90%+) people would opt for the stalks.

Reactions: whitex and tivoboy
It Depends on whether the stalkless 'features' (such as they are) are available with both versions. The yoke has the nominal advantage that it doesn't block the screen but there is no clear advantage to the stalkless design that I can discern and there's the potential disadvantage that it may harm resale value. (There's no one that will decide not to buy a car that has stalks but there are plenty of people who would decide not to buy a car that doesn't have stalks.)

Given the choice I would bet most (80-90%+) people would opt for the stalks.
I would go with both.

I would go with both.
^THAT. If Elon really wanted to test his stalkless idea, he'd produce car with both set of controls, then add a setting to allow each driver profile to enable either only the stalks, or only steering wheel controls, or both, then collect telemetry on what percentage of car do people stop using stalks completely. Die hard fans could try touch buttons only, see how long they stick with that in their cars (vs. on the forums). Sceptics might try it, who knows, maybe they love it. Usage telemetry is much harder to fake than public internet posts (plus not everyone posts).

^THAT. If Elon really wanted to test his stalkless idea, he'd produce car with both set of controls, then add a setting to allow each driver profile to enable either only the stalks, or only steering wheel controls, or both, then collect telemetry on what percentage of car do people stop using stalks completely. Die hard fans could try touch buttons only, see how long they stick with that in their cars (vs. on the forums). Sceptics might try it, who knows, maybe they love it. Usage telemetry is much harder to fake than public internet posts (plus not everyone posts).
Yep just like passenger lumbar support.

IIRC the extra cost is became it a service center retrofit at or after delivery (a "dealer installed option" in the traditional automaker's vernacular), due to insufficient order take rate to bother stocking parts, tooling, training factory workers to produce cars with the yoke, and keeping inventory of yoked cars.

How many stalks would a Woodstock stock if a Woodstock could stock stalks?