Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it was "one in a million".
“One in a million” = “practically never”
“30%” = “a reasonable number but not half”
“50%” = “about half”
“70%” = “the majority but not all”
“99%” = “pretty much all”

30% is also a safe guess when you don’t know because if the number is anywhere above 20% but below half people will consider it close enough.

41lm9ivtq5l-_ac_uf1000-1000_ql80_-jpg.746550

I drove the highland LR awd and RWD back to back today and I spent considerable time in a pre highland 2023 RWD model 3 recently. All had the 18 inch wheels with aero covers. I found the highland to be holistically quieter and smoother when driving around town. I liked the seats better. The handling was more biased towards comfort and it had more body roll and more delay in steering response compared to the pre-highland model. It’s hard to know how much of this is tires related as, while the two highland cars were on the hankook tires, the pre highland car wasn’t. Honestly, I preferred the handling of the pre highland car better. If they made the noise improvements but left the old suspension it would serve me well. I found the old car on 19s to be a bit harsh, but on 18s it was a good balance. I’ll be interested to see what they do with the suspension setup on the performance model.

The lack of stalks was more or less fine, I got used to it. The concerning thing is it seems that sometimes the button “press” on the steering wheel for the turn signal didn’t register. Seems like a software bug? Or maybe the touch target is smaller than I thought. It’s a bit weird. The swipe for the forward/reverse seemed ok. The parking sensor/blind spot sensor/etc software rendering seemed to be a step back. It rendered most close objects as pixelated blobs not actual cars, cones, etc. kind of made me scratch my head.

The difference between the RWD and AWD steering is there, it’s subtle though. The AWD steering feels a bit heavier and more numb, even on the same settings. This was the case with the previous cars also, and not really even a Tesla thing. There isn’t much steering “feel” in general, but the RWD was a little better in that department.

The ambient lighting seemed kind of cool, but I ultimately turned it off as I found it distracting. The RWD car has the cloth dash trim in the doors, the AWD car has it only on the dash and has alacantra trim in the doors. The stereo in the AWD car was better, but the RWD one was pretty good.

I’m curious what others think of the handling of the new car?

Tesla's cost cutting marketed as a consumer benefit works sometimes. The single center display for example.

The stalks are a smart cost cutting move. One of the most expensive assemblies still remaining on the interior are the stalks.
But it sucks. Simple parallel parking and signaling are a chore with no stalks- which in LA, barely anyone does with stalks, basically made it so no one will.
Ergonomically, stalks are just better and faster. They require no eye-hand coordination and simple muscle memory.
They are, however, expensive.
Legacy makers went full dumba$$ with the button PRNDLs and Tesla said hold my beer...

The rest of the new 3 is great. I really like it and the seats are very comfortable. I'm excited to see the new Y with all these improvements.
It's a shame the removal of stalks is probably guaranteed in the new Y but... I guess that's something nice to have for current owners...

signaling are a chore with no stalks- which in LA, barely anyone does with stalks, basically made it so no one will.
You know, that is one point I have not considered - more people will just stop using turn signals altogether. This may not be intuitive, but it will help Elon, as it will make people driving manually have more accidents. I don't have a source handy, but IIRC 2% of all car accidents in North America are caused by driver(s) not using turn signals. Might sounds like a small number, but when looked as how much does not using signals increase your changes of being in an accident, the number is 30%-40%. Elon is definitely smart. This will help him sell FSD with accident statistics, since on FSD the car will use turn signals, making FSD look like a greater safety improvement than it would be if people had stalks. The guy is an evil genius.

You don’t get the camera view of what’s behind you if you don’t engage your turn signals and on Teslas that’s a great safety feature that I use all the time when driving. Seems a shame to do anything to minimize its usage
Actually you do, as noted up thread, when in drive, just press the camera icon to open the rear view camera, and swipe up to show the two side cameras. I use this mode almost permanently, unless I needed to look at the map.

Half the people I see already do not use turn signals, Tesla or not. I just wonder what kids are being taught in driver Ed.
Yes, but that leaves the other half the people who are still using them, which stalkless will further reduce. Driving tests standards in US are way too laxed. So many people drive their cars like they'd ride a cow - get on it, point it in the general direction where you want to go, hope you get there. People are driving with high beams always on (some of them are not even aware of the high beam concept), not using turn signals, changing lanes suddenly and/or over dividers (I recently came across a car changing lanes across the highway literally perpendicular to the direction of traffic, maybe even slightly going back, because he missed an exit), camping out in express lanes going 10mph under speed limit, 20mph under speed limit up-hill but 20 mph over the limit when going down hill (where passing is allowed), etc, etc.

It is required by law after all.
So is staying below the speed limit and a host of other actions where people commonly break the law: it certainly doesn't mean people don't break those laws. I would say, on the freeways when you aren't in traffic, more people are above the speed limit than below. My suggestion is always, don't be the fastest car out there - doesn't guarantee that you won't get pulled over, but IMO it certainly helps.

But back to the topic, I say it is much more than 10% of the time that signals aren't used.

ETA: in rereading your post, I want to make sure we're both making our wild-arse percentage speculations on the same metric: my percentage is the number of times that signals aren't used in INSTANCES where they should be. As opposed to the number of people who have NEVER used their signals. The latter is certainly a much lower percentage (I USUALLY use my signals, but don't about 20-30% of the time for various reasons).

it certainly doesn't mean people don't break those laws
Right but there is benefit to speeding. Not tons of benefit to not signaling. So more people comply.

(I USUALLY use my signals, but don't about 30% of the time for various reasons).
I would count you as someone who uses their signals, basically 90% of the time. Discrepancy being 20% are debatable whether it is even required (for example on a branch into a turn lane many people don’t signal).

Anyway we could look at total instances where it is clearly required.

E.g. I would not count in the denominator an instance of someone in a quiet residential neighborhood with no traffic around not signaling as they turned onto their street as a failure. Even though it is legally required.

But anyway as a percentage of total valid instances I would be shocked if it is higher than 20% failure to signal. In my area.

And the claim I disagreed with was 50%. It’s nowhere near that bad - 30% would be nowhere near.

Last edited:
In my area of socal, it is very common and regular occurance that people do not and will not signal lane changes or making left, right or any turn.
The expectation is that others somehow magically know what they thinking.

I have a few four way stops on my usual commute and people regularly turn left without signalling. Think about how special that is, when you think that's safe and justified.

In other countries i've lived, EVERYONE signals. All the time. They look at is simply as part of driving, not a weakness.
But these are all anecdotal and don't necessarily mean the majority - though it may feel that way.

Sorry I mentioned it, now that it's diverged from the topic. I'll just reiterate that not having stalks is... a poor decision.
Screen PRNDL is a poor decision. Both are a win for Tesla cost cutting and a lose for the customer.

Even the signal buttons are poorly designed, without a "home" button nub so you can't just go by feel.
The left/right are stacked vertically when it's more natural for them to be side-by-side, where left-right makes sense.

Reactions: Transformer