Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MYP owner - My take on ride quality.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL/DR: I prefer sporty feeling cars over luxury sedans, and love the MYP ride for a daily driver.

For background, I’ve owned, amongst other cars, the following:
Benz S class
Lexus LS450 LS430 (typo)
Lexus RX450
Acura Legend
Acura Integra GSR (multiple models)
Various Jeeps
Miata
F250
Prius
Driven a MS Raven Build for a few months.

I appreciated the LS430 for the luxury ride it was. Felt like sitting in a la-z-boy and driving on a cloud. As goes for the other luxury sedans I’ve owned.

My favorite cars for daily drivers have always been the smaller sporty cars where you can feel the road through the tires and the steering. It’s a “fun” engaging drive.

That background is so you know my natural preference is a stiffer ride versus the LS430 ride.

I was really torn between the MS and MY. Price was not a factor for me. I wanted to get the right car for me given my preferences. I chose the MY because I don’t really like driving a large sedan on a daily basis, no matter how sporty like the MS.

I was terrified of getting the MYP because of all the threads saying “terrible ride” and “harsh”. My experience thankfully has been very different. I love how the car drives in my neck of the woods - Portland.

My impression of the MY:
It has a very stiff suspension relative to the MS adaptive air. You can feel the small bumps in the road, though it’s not jarring at all IMO. If you hit a larger bump like a pothole (I haven’t) or a parking lot speed bump (I have to test it) you will definitely be jolted a bit. If you absolutely don’t want to be bumped in a car at all, then the MYP is not for you.

If you are someone that likes smaller sporty cars as your daily driver, you will likely really enjoy the MYP. If you prefer a high end luxury sedan “feel”, you will probably hate the MYP.

Do I wish the suspension were adaptive air? No way. Do I wish it were a little softer? Yes. I’m not a track guy at all. I’d love for the suspension to absorb the small bumps in the road. But I don’t want a soft suspension overall.

I drove the EV6 for a week prior to taking delivery of the MYP because I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision. The EV6 was significantly softer on the suspension, and I didn’t like it.

As much as I love this car, if I was driving on gravel roads every day with washboard bumps, I would probably chose a different car.

Is the car perfect? No. But it’s definitely the best of the bunch for me.

Edit: corrected LS450 for 430

Last edited:
This should be the sticky up there for those who get scared from all those "MY/MYP horrible ride" folks, so that they can make informed decision.
Thanks. I’m hoping it helps people with a different take and explains where my opinion comes from, so they can be better informed.

I was really uncertain about my decision due to the FUD from all these threads. I test drove a MYP two days before pickup and drove it over every bump I could find. Railroad tracks, small 1” or so potholes etc. I was still afraid I was “missing” something because of all the harsh ride posts. I realized that those people must simply prefer a completely different ride than me. I’ve put well over 1000 miles on a model S and I absolutely prefer the MYP 10/10 times for my daily driver.

Your findings and opinion mirror mine. We are 70 coming from a 2020 LR AWD Y and to be honest I was prepared to dislike the MYP ride. Kind of like the 1984 Corvette Z51. A go-cart on the track that could generate OVER 1 g on a track but bucking bronco of a car on streets In the hands of everyday drivers. GM learned from that mistake and spent considerable time and money refining the vette’s suspension into a world class/beating platform. I even went so far as to order some 18" tires/wheels from TSportLine even before the MYP arrived.

Fast forward to Aug 25th when we took delivery of our MYP in Bloomington IL and had to drive 162 miles along I-55 to our home in southern IL. Within minutes I could tell that Tesla made significant improvements to the P's suspension and ride quality. By the time we arrived home, I was convinced I could have saved $2700 I spent on the TSportLine tires/wheels, but then I hit a pothole that was hidden from view with rain water and held my breath as I was waiting for the inevitable loss of tire pressure. Got lucky, no damage. That's when reality set in. The 21s are a ticking time bomb no matter how good the suspension is. And after a 2K road trip where I saw wh/mi reach 340+ (over 15% higher than our LR AWD Y) even being driven for efficiency with every trick I knew was all the evidence I needed to proceed with the tire swap. So Tesla Mobile Service is coming tomorrow to swap out the tires/wheels.

But if I lived in a warm weather climate with nicer roads I could love the MYP on the 21s. But IL has four seasons and potholes have their own zip codes there is no way we could live with them here and now.

Looking forward to how the 18s with 245/50-ZR18 Michelin A/S tires will ride and perform.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyMYLRnw and Zalick
Your findings and opinion mirror mine. We are 70 coming from a 2020 LR AWD Y and to be honest I was prepared to dislike the MYP ride. Kind of like the 1984 Corvette Z51. A go-cart on the track that could generate OVER 1 g on a track but bucking bronco of a car on streets In the hands of everyday drivers. GM learned from that mistake and spent considerable time and money refining the vette’s suspension into a world class/beating platform. I even went so far as to order some 18" tires/wheels from TSportLine even before the MYP arrived.

Fast forward to Aug 25th when we took delivery of our MYP in Bloomington IL and had to drive 162 miles along I-55 to our home in southern IL. Within minutes I could tell that Tesla made significant improvements to the P's suspension and ride quality. By the time we arrived home, I was convinced I could have saved $2700 I spent on the TSportLine tires/wheels, but then I hit a pothole that was hidden from view with rain water and held my breath as I was waiting for the inevitable loss of tire pressure. Got lucky, no damage. That's when reality set in. The 21s are a ticking time bomb no matter how good the suspension is. And after a 2K road trip where I saw wh/mi reach 340+ (over 15% higher than our LR AWD Y) even being driven for efficiency with every trick I knew was all the evidence I needed to proceed with the tire swap. So Tesla Mobile Service is coming tomorrow to swap out the tires/wheels.

But if I lived in a warm weather climate with nicer roads I could love the MYP on the 21s. But IL has four seasons and potholes have their own zip codes there is no way we could live with them here and now.

Looking forward to how the 18s with 245/50-ZR18 Michelin A/S tires will ride and perform.
I am also swapping the 21s for 18 or 19s for the same reason. We have enough potholes around here that it’s only a matter of time…. Did you go with 18s just for the extra sidewall v 19s? I’m still not sure which to get. The 18s with 55s or 19s with 50s match the diameter of the OEM wheel more closely than the the 18 w/50s or 19 w/45s. Not sure why tsportline went with a slightly smaller tire on these setups.

How did you get Tesla mobile to install them? Looking forward to see your thoughts on them!

It's possible to have firm, responsive handling without being overly "harsh/busy" (see Porsche, BMW M). It's probably a combination of large rims, high tire pressure, and the suspension itself.

I'm glad it works for you but a lot of folks think there's room for improvement (and many have gone the after-market route).

It's possible to have firm, responsive handling without being overly "harsh/busy" (see Porsche, BMW M). It's probably a combination of large rims, high tire pressure, and the suspension itself.

I'm glad it works for you but a lot of folks think there's room for improvement (and many have gone the after-market route).
I think there is room for improvement too. It’s still a pleasure to drive IMO and for my tastes.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Also, I noticed the suspension nuances more over time. When I first got the car, I was just amazed at everything and happy that it came in decent shape so that may have clouded my experience.
I had nightmares the night before pickup about the build quality. Glad mine came in nearly perfect shape too.

I’ve only had it a few days and will be giving it a more thorough evaluation driving this week. I am pleasantly surprised compared to what my expectations were.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Problem is, the springs changed at some point this year, with people reporting the mid to late '22 MYP riding softer than the earlier models. (I think this translates to the LR as well, but not 100% sure) I rode in a '21 that crashed over bumps and was plain awful, while my '22 is way more compliant and livable day to day. I think the early Y suspension complaints are completely justified, but now there is a new baseline. It's still not like riding on a cloud by any means, but definitely nicer.

TL/DR: I prefer sporty feeling cars over luxury sedans, and love the MYP ride for a daily driver.

Benz S class
Lexus LS450 LS430 (typo)
Lexus RX450
Acura Legend
Various Jeeps
Miata
F250
Prius

I appreciated the LS430 for the luxury ride it was. Felt like sitting in a la-z-boy and driving on a cloud. As goes for the other luxury sedans I’ve owned.

My favorite cars for daily drivers have always been the smaller sporty cars where you can feel the road through the tires and the steering. It’s a “fun” engaging drive.

That background is so you know my natural preference is a stiffer ride versus the LS430 ride.

I was really torn between the MS and MY. Price was not a factor for me. I wanted to get the right car for me given my preferences. I chose the MY because I don’t really like driving a large sedan on a daily basis, no matter how sporty like the MS.

I was terrified of getting the MYP because of all the threads saying “terrible ride” and “harsh”. My experience thankfully has been very different. I love how the car drives in my neck of the woods - Portland.

My impression of the MY:
It has a very stiff suspension relative to the MS adaptive air. You can feel the small bumps in the road, though it’s not jarring at all IMO. If you hit a larger bump like a pothole (I haven’t) or a parking lot speed bump (I have to test it) you will definitely be jolted a bit. If you absolutely don’t want to be bumped in a car at all, then the MYP is not for you.

If you are someone that likes smaller sporty cars as your daily driver, you will likely really enjoy the MYP. If you prefer a high end luxury sedan “feel”, you will probably hate the MYP.

Do I wish the suspension were adaptive air? No way. Do I wish it were a little softer? Yes. I’m not a track guy at all. I’d love for the suspension to absorb the small bumps in the road. But I don’t want a soft suspension overall.

I drove the EV6 for a week prior to taking delivery of the MYP because I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision. The EV6 was significantly softer on the suspension, and I didn’t like it.

As much as I love this car, if I was driving on gravel roads every day with washboard bumps, I would probably chose a different car.

Hi Zalick, thanks for sharing your comparisons. I was also an owner of a 2006 LS430, and it still breaks my heart that I sold it. Lexus current flagship doesn't impress me at all. I currently own a 2015 Model S, which I absolutely love. But the LS430 was magic in a different way, as you said, riding like a la-Z-boy.

In terms of ride, I'm of the opposite opinion, as I prefer ultra soft ride and quiet interiors. In the future, I hope to fulfill that void by keeping my Model S and adding either an S-Class or Genesis G90 to my driveway for weekend getaways :)

Reactions: Zalick
Hi Zalick, thanks for sharing your comparisons. I was also an owner of a 2006 LS430, and it still breaks my heart that I sold it. Lexus current flagship doesn't impress me at all. I currently own a 2015 Model S, which I absolutely love. But the LS430 was magic in a different way, as you said, riding like a la-Z-boy.

In terms of ride, I'm of the opposite opinion, as I prefer ultra soft ride and quiet interiors. In the future, I hope to fulfill that void by keeping my Model S and adding either an S-Class or Genesis G90 to my driveway for weekend getaways :)
The LS430 was special.

I do wish the MYP had an ultra quiet interior. I am a little disappointed in that respect.

Did you go with 18s just for the extra sidewall v 19s? I’m still not sure which to get. The 18s with 55s or 19s with 50s match the diameter of the OEM wheel more closely than the the 18 w/50s or 19 w/45s. Not sure why tsportline went with a slightly smaller tire on these setups.

How did you get Tesla mobile to install them? Looking forward to see your thoughts on them!
I went with the 245/50s (same Michelins A/S Pilot Sports A/S tires that came on the car so that should be an Apple's to Apple's transition). I wanted MAXIMUM PROTECTION, COMFORT and to recover most of the lost range and I'm told the 18s will produce a FASTER 0 to 60 time. I was willing to give up a bit of lateral G's since who approaches 1 g on city streets? I've owned 7 vetes since 1972 and it's been my experience that anyone pushing the handling limits on city streets is an accident waiting to happen.

Yes, the Mobile Tech is scheduled to be here tomorrow between 8 and noon to do the swap. My estimate was $74. I was going to sell the 21s but there really is no market for them unless you are willing to give them away for far less than the individual parts cost new. I listed them for $2500 as NEW TAKE OFF's (less than 200 miles) and finally pulled the listing when my best offer was $1800. So I will keep them and put them back on when I sell or trade it then sell the TSportLines for whatever I can get for them. My plan is to keep the P for about 24 months as I did with my LR AWD Y.

Reactions: Zalick
I went with the 245/50s (same Michelins A/S Pilot Sports A/S tires that came on the car so that should be an Apple's to Apple's transition). I wanted MAXIMUM PROTECTION, COMFORT and to recover most of the lost range and I'm told the 18s will produce a FASTER 0 to 60 time. I was willing to give up a bit of lateral G's since who approaches 1 g on city streets? I've owned 7 vetes since 1972 and it's been my experience that anyone pushing the handling limits on city streets is an accident waiting to happen.

Yes, the Mobile Tech is scheduled to be here tomorrow between 8 and noon to do the swap. My estimate was $74. I was going to sell the 21s but there really is no market for them unless you are willing to give them away for far less than the individual parts cost new. I listed them for $2500 as NEW TAKE OFF's (less than 200 miles) and finally pulled the listing when my best offer was $1800. So I will keep them and put them back on when I sell or trade it then sell the TSportLines for whatever I can get for them. My plan is to keep the P for about 24 months as I did with my LR AWD Y.
Good to know! I’m gonna order a set today.

Never owned one but this is my favorite car of all time. Childhood nostalgia. 😎

Attachments

• D71FDA7A-E28C-42C6-80EC-A6B91580BA91.jpeg
    D71FDA7A-E28C-42C6-80EC-A6B91580BA91.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 138

Benz S class
Lexus LS450 LS430 (typo)
Lexus RX450
Acura Legend
Various Jeeps
Miata
F250
Prius

My impression of the MY:

The small bumps are not a big deal when on normal streets..I don't really think that's the complaint (although maybe for some it is).
The issue I seem to find is on freeways or anywhere at a fairly high speed going over small bumps in a freeway (see Los Angeles) and it just gets really really bumpy in the back...harsh in the front...really unusual in the back.

Reactions: bobbyjae