Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like fun - I'll play! I did some photoshop work - I took the supercharge.info map & overlaid an extremely blown-up version of the Tesla map:

View attachment 102718

I then drew the teardrop shape, and placed it over the 'hidden' one behind Dedham:

View attachment 102720

Assuming there's any validity to Tesla's location, then it appears to be in or just south of Boston. My first thought was that it was Hingham, where they're planning a store. That would make some sense (it's an outdoor mall), but the Hingham location is slightly south of Dedham, and that dot looks slightly northeast. I'm pretty sure it's not north on 128 or 495 (as wonderful as that would be!) - neither of those would hide so much behind the Dedham dot. Maybe in the city, like those parking garage SCs they have in London?

Ah - the fun of trying to out-guess the Supercharger team!

495 N and S in Chelmsford, there are rest areas on either side of the highway. But seeing as MA has not allowed them to build at any other rest areas yet, my guess is "The Point" in Littleton. It's just off 495 at exit 31, and the development itself is still under construction. But as you can see from the site...it's definitely the "demographic wheelhouse".

The Point

495 N and S in Chelmsford, there are rest areas on either side of the highway. But seeing as MA has not allowed them to build at any other rest areas yet, my guess is "The Point" in Littleton. It's just off 495 at exit 31, and the development itself is still under construction. But as you can see from the site...it's definitely the "demographic wheelhouse".

The Point

Sounds like it could also be a store location. Is that a possibility?

I am told that there is also a store planned for Hingham, MA. At some mall along route 3.

it COULD, but i believe all of the retail space is spoken for.

I think between Natick, Dedham, and the Pru, we might have all of the stores we're going to get for now. but maybe they have plans to expand the footprint in preps for the E.

The Point

The Point is certainly growing and a good location but Drum Hill in Chelmsford is probably better since it is only a few miles north of the Point on interstate 495 and has the advantage of being right off of Route 3 a major north/south highway.
Includes, Applebees, Panera Bread, Southwest Grill, Five Guys a bunch of other fast food restaurants plus Walmart and misc stores.

It also would be a good location since it would be reasonably close to a Nashua store/service should Tesla decide they need one to service southern NH and part of Mass which will definitely be needed 2-3 years from now when the Model 3 comes out.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Drum+Hill+Rd,+Chelmsford,+MA/@42.6242159,-71.3650501,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e3a35cf6c32ab7:0xfc19e146f5ee894e?hl=en

The Point is certainly growing and a good location but Drum Hill in Chelmsford is probably better since it is only a few miles north of the Point on interstate 495 and has the advantage of being right off of Route 3 a major north/south highway.
Includes, Applebees, Panera Bread, Southwest Grill, Five Guys a bunch of other fast food restaurants plus Walmart and misc stores.

It also would be a good location since it would be reasonably close to a Nashua store/service should Tesla decide they need one to service southern NH and part of Mass which will definitely be needed 2-3 years from now when the Model 3 comes out.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...1s0x89e3a35cf6c32ab7:0xfc19e146f5ee894e?hl=en

All reasonable points. The Point would give them access to the East/West Rt. 2 corridor, Harvard, Littleton, Devens, etc.

Chelmsford, Littleton, Boston? While I won't disagree having more is better, these are pretty unnecessary for both residents and passers through of the Boston area. Having visited Dedham several times, the supercharger seems to always be empty there.

Can we get more coverage in remote areas where supercharging is the only convenient choice? Like places in NH, ME, upper NY. You can get full coverage in NH with basically one more supercharger, seems like that should be the priority? If they want to encourage supercharger use for long distance only, this would be the right strategy versus what they are doing now, no? I don't even care if there is nothing around the supercharger, but driving around the White Mountains when it's 10F outside means you better find charging, or else... I'll gladly wait 20 minutes in the car.

Chelmsford, Littleton, Boston? While I won't disagree having more is better, these are pretty unnecessary for both residents and passers through of the Boston area. Having visited Dedham several times, the supercharger seems to always be empty there.

Can we get more coverage in remote areas where supercharging is the only convenient choice? Like places in NH, ME, upper NY. You can get full coverage in NH with basically one more supercharger, seems like that should be the priority? If they want to encourage supercharger use for long distance only, this would be the right strategy versus what they are doing now, no? I don't even care if there is nothing around the supercharger, but driving around the White Mountains when it's 10F outside means you better find charging, or else... I'll gladly wait 20 minutes in the car.

+1!

One more in the White Mountains would cover all my driving (OK, Bangor would be nice, too).

I've said before - St Johnsbury would be ideal - close enough to the White Mountains, at the intersection of 91 and 93, on the I-91/A-55 route to Sherbrooke.

Last edited:
One more in the White Mountains would cover all my driving (OK, Bangor would be nice, too).

I've said before - St Johnsbury would be ideal - close enough to the White Mountains, at the intersection of 91 and 93, on the I-91/A-55 route to Sherbrooke.

I'd like it a little south of there on 93, but I could deal with that location, at least it's within round-trip range, unlike Lebanon and Hooksett.

Agree with you. Take care of the destination charging for northern NE first then evaluate adding additional locations. As others have stated St Johnsbury, the White Mountains and Maine need priority.

Agree with you. Take care of the destination charging for northern NE first then evaluate adding additional locations. As others have stated St Johnsbury, the White Mountains and Maine need priority.

But since it's, you know, free, you're sort of at the mercy of Tesla as to where they put them.

If they've already shifted into making SC's accessible to the masses in preps for the Model 3, you might be waiting for a while.

Just the 2 cents of a pair of eyes looking in from the outside, as I haven't purchased a Tesla yet, but I can certainly understand why they're making the decisions they have regarding SC placement.

But since it's, you know, free, you're sort of at the mercy of Tesla as to where they put them.

If they've already shifted into making SC's accessible to the masses in preps for the Model 3, you might be waiting for a while.

Just the 2 cents of a pair of eyes looking in from the outside, as I haven't purchased a Tesla yet, but I can certainly understand why they're making the decisions they have regarding SC placement.

I don't expect the base Model 3 range to be less than a 70D, in the least. They won't necessarily need more locations, just more stalls for existing locations. For non-existing locations the pressure is even higher. 50 Model 3's aren't all going to destination charge at Sunday River...

Good time to speculate about the SC void in northern NH. I would expect that by early next year Tesla will update their "Coming Soon" map to include 2017. So it seems possible that suggestions or comments in this thread could be evaluated for future consideration.

Finding the best area for Supercharging in the White Mountains of NH is a challenge. There's no one location that would satisfy all the possible destinations. Building one site in the heart of the area would be inconvenient to those east, west, or just to the south. Eventually I'd hope for at least two SC stations for that region. Especially for day-tripping, my preference would be to get a charge on the approach and/or on the way out of the White Mountains. To the west, St. Johnsbury would have the edge, but I'll throw in Littleton NH as a dark horse. At the intersection of I-93 and Route 302, Littleton isn't very far from I-91. There's also a variety of food and shopping available. The eastern side of the White Mountains is a tough call, mainly because there are no major highways, which of course Tesla tends to favor. For my money, that fraction of 2K :), I'd look at Conway, NH. Route 302 again, intersecting with Route 16. A very popular gateway to the region, it would also be a good bridge to the (yet to be completed) SC network in Maine.

+1 @ItsNotAboutTheMoney.

Many good suggestions in this thread, and I have no idea how to prioritize among them. I'll content myself with observing that Route 2 is a major artery for all of northwestern Massachusetts, connecting up to Vermont and to northeastern New York. We've gone from having no SCs in MA when I first bought my P85+ to having 3 (Dedham, Auburn, Springfield) and I for one am very grateful. I frequently make use of Auburn and can imagine making more use of Springfield. Dedham is close enough to my home that I think I would use it rarely, but I can see where others would benefit from it greatly. For getting around NW MA, though, there is a definite lack of SCs. It's not the end of the world, as there are other charging options, but the cost is additional planning and time.

Alan

Also, it's on US highways 2 and 5. US2 is the major W-E highway in Northern New England.

+1 @ItsNotAboutTheMoney.

Many good suggestions in this thread, and I have no idea how to prioritize among them. I'll content myself with observing that Route 2 is a major artery for all of northwestern Massachusetts, connecting up to Vermont and to northeastern New York. We've gone from having no SCs in MA when I first bought my P85+ to having 3 (Dedham, Auburn, Springfield) and I for one am very grateful. I frequently make use of Auburn and can imagine making more use of Springfield. Dedham is close enough to my home that I think I would use it rarely, but I can see where others would benefit from it greatly. For getting around NW MA, though, there is a definite lack of SCs. It's not the end of the world, as there are other charging options, but the cost is additional planning and time.

Alan

You forgot Sagamore!

+1 @ItsNotAboutTheMoney.

Alan

Alan, he's referring to a different route 2 in VT/NH. Also there are 4 MA Superchargers - you forgot Sagamore.

Isn't NW Massachusetts covered by Springfield, Albany and Brattleboro?