Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would prefer Springfield MA too. It is just when they rebuild these rest areas every 30 years, this is a good opportunity to get it in the plans and installed. All the superchargers in CT do little for me so close to my house.

Perhaps they put in pads and conduit for the future, or at a minimum have the appropriate power available so they can be added in the future. Especially if other manufacturers adopt the Tesla technology and produce supercharger-enabled vehicles.

I had an email exchange with CT's DOT EV Infrastructure Project Manager. I had asked if there were any plans for additional Supercharger stations at the other reststop renovations occuring throughout the State. He indicated that Tesla alone picks the locations of the CT stations and that there are no additional plans currently in the works within CT.

However, he mentioned that the I95 Northbound Madison reststop was having a CHAdeMO/SAE Combo charger installed with a fall/winter 2014 targeting completion date. He also mentioned that Tesla was looking to install a Supercharger at the I91/MassPike intercharge (listed on the Tesla website) and that his VT counterpart was contacted by Tesla for locations in Brattleboro and White River Junction. These three locations would be wonderful additions.

I had an email exchange with CT's DOT EV Infrastructure Project Manager. I had asked if there were any plans for additional Supercharger stations at the other reststop renovations occuring throughout the State. He indicated that Tesla alone picks the locations of the CT stations and that there are no additional plans currently in the works within CT.

However, he mentioned that the I95 Northbound Madison reststop was having a CHAdeMO/SAE Combo charger installed with a fall/winter 2014 targeting completion date. He also mentioned that Tesla was looking to install a Supercharger at the I91/MassPike intercharge (listed on the Tesla website) and that his VT counterpart was contacted by Tesla for locations in Brattleboro and White River Junction. These three locations would be wonderful additions.

Good news.

I was charging at a public charger in Maine over the weekend which had a CHAdeMO charger as well.
The Tesla adapter is $1,000!!!!!!! (When it becomes available...) Argghhhhh....

/Ed

Man do I need those VT chargers or central MA chargers off 91! I've done Maine and southern VT, but am headed to central VT in a few weeks and am pushing even my EV limits. I need to go 250 miles, and it is all uphill. Even if I stop in North Hampton for a long lunch and an charge I am outside my comfort zone of a 30 mile rates range buffer. Also, I have only a 110v when I get to where I'm headed in VT. I could cut across the state West to my place at Stratton, but adding a night and a 60+ mile out of the way spin isn't a great start to a vacation.

Tesla has presented a proposed sketch plan of Superchargers at the Auburn Mall and asked the local planners to determine if its an allowed use by the town's zoning regulations.
Depending on the answers, they may need to redo parts of the sketch. This location may or may not work? I'm unsure. Its looks like the ball is in Tesla's court right now on there next move....

We made the best of it this year using E Greenwich, RI, putting us well within range of Portland, ME. It was interesting to take I95 around Boston and Providence and along the CT coast, after so many years of using I495, I290/I90 and I84/684 or the Merritt Parkway to NYC. When I was a kid we made many trips to the Boston suburbs around MA Rt.128. Last time I drove that route might have been 1968! However, it did cost us an hour to do so, and sightseeing is not that welcome on a 10+ hour trip.

We came away very impressed with the Model S as a highway cruiser, with one proviso: The back seat is not at all conducive to catching some sleep while others are driving, and needs to recline. Will check if that has been requested on Teslatap.com.

Man do I need those VT chargers or central MA chargers off 91! I've done Maine and southern VT, but am headed to central VT in a few weeks and am pushing even my EV limits. I need to go 250 miles, and it is all uphill. Even if I stop in North Hampton for a long lunch and an charge I am outside my comfort zone of a 30 mile rates range buffer. Also, I have only a 110v when I get to where I'm headed in VT. I could cut across the state West to my place at Stratton, but adding a night and a 60+ mile out of the way spin isn't a great start to a vacation.

Mike, here's another option. Head up the Taconic and top off at the Albany supercharger. Then take 87 North up to Exit 20, Rt 9 north to Rt 149 to Route 4 west and into Vermont. You didn't mention where in central VT you were headed, but route 4 brings you right into Rutland, Woodstock and White River Junction.

Where are you going in VT? A lot of people are using the Albany NY station and then heading to VT destinations. If you have dual chargers, I have 80A about 4mi from I-91 just north of WRJ.

Where are you going in VT? A lot of people are using the Albany NY station and then heading to VT destinations. If you have dual chargers, I have 80A about 4mi from I-91 just north of WRJ.
Do you have 80A via HPWC or J1772? Your plugshare description says:

"Tesla Roadster HPC 80A outside 24/7. J1772 40A outside. Also have NEMA 14-50 if you call ahead."

which would imply 40A max for a Model S. 80A useable for a MS would make my occasional 260mi day trips from MA->Hanover and back managable (since who-knows-when the WRJ/W Leb SC will appear).

I have a 10-30 @ my place in Sunapee (soon to add a 20A J1772, either an OpenEVSE or LCS-25, since that's all the garage subpanel can handle), but a 1/2 hour stop at your house beats 2 hours waiting around at mine.

Do you have 80A via HPWC or J1772?

That depends! A lot of Model S have stopped here for 80A. Most of them brought an adapter to go from Roadster connector to Model S connector. I made an adapter Roadster to J1772 but it disappeared. I loaned it to somebody who forgot to return it and now I can't remember who has it. If you don't have your own adapter, you can usually borrow one from your Service Center. Now that Albany is up, I don't get as many Model S here.

I have a 10-30 @ my place in Sunapee (soon to add a 20A J1772, either an OpenEVSE or LCS-25, since that's all the garage subpanel can handle), but a 1/2 hour stop at your house beats 2 hours waiting around at mine.

I wish you could install a 40 or 70 or 80A solution. At least 4 times in 3 years it would have helped me a lot. Once driving home from Boston it started snowing so hard that my range dropped in half despite driving at 40mph. Another time I was picking somebody up at Manchester airport which is a 205 mi round trip, normally OK, but was re-routed 20 mi out of my way due to an accident on I-89. I would almost be willing to pay for your panel upgrade! Only kidding. I didn't really say that. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

I've been trying to find somebody in Concord who would host a HPWC at 80A but haven't had much luck.

That depends! A lot of Model S have stopped here for 80A. Most of them brought an adapter to go from Roadster connector to Model S connector.

Ah, I forgot there was the Roadster->Model S adapter

I wish you could install a 40 or 70 or 80A solution.

The simplest install is a 25A breaker in the garage (20A charge), which would meet most of my needs (full charge overnight after 120mi drive), but doesn't help with Hanover day trips. The house main breaker is only 100A. The garage is fed off of a 30A breaker with 10-3 UF that runs under the pavement, so upgrading the feeder is difficult, and that may not make sense without upgrading the main panel (and now we're talking real money).

But you did get me thinking about another option, which I'll think more about. I have 200A service feeding the 2 electric meters (one water heater and one for the rest of the house). I've been thinking about switching to tankless propane hot water, which would free up the second meter. I could then use that to feed a high-current charger (maybe switch to TOU), provided the cable is long enough to reach the nearby parking area. An HCS-60 or a 75A OpenEVSE (if I can find a cable and plug) could be (relatively) inexpensive.

I've been trying to find somebody in Concord who would host a HPWC at 80A but haven't had much luck.

Did you try the Marriot Courtyard in Concord? They have 2 30A Chargepoints and a big conference center - I wonder if a business case could be made for adding a CS100 (maybe from Sun Country Highway if it's cheaper) to service transient conference visitors with short charges (vs overnight charges for hotel guests @ 30A).

EDIT - Wait, I'm confused - how does a HPWC help a Roadster driver, anyway? Don't you want a J1772?

Last edited:
I can make it to my place at Stratton with room on a range charge. My problem is I'm headed up to the VT / NH border the week after next, so there really is no great option for charging. Going via Albany means cutting way West to get back across the state. I'll probably just take my wife's Highlander hybrid (at least it is a hybrid). In all due time Northern New England will get the superchargers. I've been told that for ski season it will be sorted.

I was looking at the map and trying to get an idea of where they plan to put future superchargers and I am a bit concerned that they are completely ignoring 1-93 from Boston/South Shore up to the White Mountains. The Hooksett rumors have been spinning for a while. Any thoughts on this? Anyone "in the know" of plans for that corridor? I would likely keep me out of a Model X if this is true....

If you toggle the Supercharger map to '2014', from 'Coming Soon', there looks like a White River Jct install. I wouldn't count on it for winter '15.

Apart from WRJ, I'm not a big fan of North/South I-91 getting an SC before the I-84/Pike area.

I was charging at a public charger in Maine over the weekend which had a CHAdeMO charger as well.
The Tesla adapter is $1,000!!!!!!! (When it becomes available...) Argghhhhh....
The owner of that garage in Maine told me that he intends to buy the CHAdeMO--Tesla adapter once Tesla releases it; he'll leave it with the garage attendant so that Tesla owners can borrow it.

If CT is actually installing an SAE Combo charger, that's good news. As I understand it, the Tesla plug is pin-compatible with the SAE standard, so it should be dead-simple for Tesla to make an adapter that's not much more complex or expensive than the J1772 adapter we all have.

- - - Updated - - -

If you toggle the Supercharger map to '2014', from 'Coming Soon', there looks like a White River Jct install. I wouldn't count on it for winter '15.

Apart from WRJ, I'm not a big fan of North/South I-91 getting an SC before the I-84/Pike area.

Not sure if you're responding to my post re: the 93 corridor, but unfortunately WRJ does nothing for folks headed to the White Mountains via I-93 from Boston or towns located on the South Shore.

I was looking at the map and trying to get an idea of where they plan to put future superchargers and I am a bit concerned that they are completely ignoring 1-93 from Boston/South Shore up to the White Mountains. The Hooksett rumors have been spinning for a while. Any thoughts on this? Anyone "in the know" of plans for that corridor? I would likely keep me out of a Model X if this is true....
Agreed. The planned NE SC rollout map for 2014 looks pretty good except for the gaping hole in the Concord, NH area (89/93).

Also, move the slider to 2015, and there's nothing additional planned for NE in 2015. Lakes Region, NH (93) and St Johnsbury, VT (91/93 junction) might not be bad to consider for 2015.

Agreed. The planned NE SC rollout map for 2014 looks pretty good except for the gaping hole in the Concord, NH area (89/93).

Also, move the slider to 2015, and there's nothing additional planned for NE in 2015. Lakes Region, NH (93) and St Johnsbury, VT (91/93 junction) might not be bad to consider for 2015.

In my opinion, this a big miss. I wonder who they consult with to come up with these locations. For the most part, they're spot on...but this is something that I believe needs to be called to someone's attention.

- -Not sure if you're responding to my post re: the 93 corridor, but unfortunately WRJ does nothing for folks headed to the White Mountains via I-93 from Boston or towns located on the South Shore.

Sorry, had 91 and 93 confused. Perhaps the 89/93 (Bow/Concord) split wouldn't be the worst thing, if WRJ didn't get done. I visit L2 near Lebanon, NH, anyway.