Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...DEAR Tesla, the time has come to dig into New England. Connect us to Montreal, to the Ski Mountains of Northern New Hampshire and Vermont. To Trureau and Portsmouth and Hanover and Quebec City and the mountains of Maine, and Chicago without having to hours south through New York. The time has come, Tesla. Bring New England In. Come to US. Supercharge Us. We Welcome You. Let's Go! Before coming soon 2014 becomes ohhh...but China is looking good!

The feeling is mutual. On behalf of Quebec residents, we'd like to be connected to all points in New England.

Hartford? Really?! Hartford, CT? It's 31 miles from Milford to Darien S, and a 13 mile trip from there to Greenwich. 25 miles between the 2 on Long Island. 35 miles between them in NJ.
Honestly I don't think another one in CT is critical at this point. Flesh out the network later, expand the extents first.
I'd gladly trade Sagamore and Auburn (temporarily mind you) for either Portsmouth, NH; Concord, NH; Portland, ME; even Hartford, VT.

I guess CT was an opportunity due to the construction in all those rest areas - but just look at the density of red dots in that area of the map.
Sure any SC they add will be convenient to a number of people, but a day trip to the 3 northern states is still out of the question; not just inconvenient.

Of course it's not strictly necessary. But I would bet that CT is being particularly accommodating regarding permitting, parking allocation, etc. If they have the units available, and the local construction team can't build in MA or PA or NH or ... why not place another in CT?

I drove my son to Dartmouth last week. Lacking any Superchargers in northern New England, I had a two-hour layover on the return in Concord NH. :cursing:
Thank goodness for the Marriott Courtyard with free charging, free wifi, and decent food.

It's embarrassing that Dartmouth doesn't have any charging. It's hard to find a college that doesn't these days. There's an S owner in Hanover with an HPWC. I believe King Arther Flour in Norwich is 240v which is a lot better than the Courtyard which is usually 200 or less. And if you go to Portland by the northern route it consumes a lot less kWh.

Of course it's not strictly necessary. But I would bet that CT is being particularly accommodating regarding permitting, parking allocation, etc. If they have the units available, and the local construction team can't build in MA or PA or NH or ... why not place another in CT?

Why can't they build in MA, PA, or NH? PA isn't really "local" to New England, either.

Why can't they build in MA, PA, or NH? PA isn't really "local" to New England, either.

Why can't they build?: Difficulties finding an appropriate site, negotiation with local entities and owners, permitting delays, etc.

I referenced PA because the Whitehall site has been in permitting for quite a while, as was Edison, NJ before it finally went live. Not New England specific but good examples where things may take much longer than expected.

It's embarrassing that Dartmouth doesn't have any charging. It's hard to find a college that doesn't these days. There's an S owner in Hanover with an HPWC. I believe King Arther Flour in Norwich is 240v which is a lot better than the Courtyard which is usually 200 or less. And if you go to Portland by the northern route it consumes a lot less kWh.

Dartmouth had some EV charging (for a professor) in the past. see: Life With an Electric Car: Noel Perrin: 9780871564979: Amazon.com: Books

There are 4 J1772's at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (2 in the Hospital garage, 2 at the Heater Road office), but they are 3.3kW (16A@208V). They are on plugshare. It appears plans are in the works to add stations at the College and in the downtown parking garage. See JT's and my posts here:

Vermont Supercharger? Please!!! | Forums | Tesla Motors
I drove my son to Dartmouth last week. Lacking any Superchargers in northern New England, I had a two-hour layover on the return in Concord NH. :cursing:
Thank goodness for the Marriott Courtyard with free charging, free wifi, and decent food.
Robert, If you want to send an email to Rebecca Hoeffler ([email protected]) as a Dartmouth Parent and add your voice of support for charging stations, that would probably help. Your checks as a parent are probably bigger then my alumni checks, and we all know money talks. :wink:

I have a dryer outlet available in Sunapee, and will be installing a 20A EVSE at some point in the garage (sorry, the garage only has a 30A feed:mad:). I am there most weekends and some weekdays. I haven't listed the outlet on plugshare yet, since I haven't tested charging yet, and I don't want anyone to rely on it until I have a chance to test. If anyone wants to be my guinea pig, PM me and I'll offer some free electrons. I have an 8 ga extension cord and a 14-30 UMC adapter.

At some point, I want to install an outdoor HPWC @ 80A or an OpenEVSE @ 75A, but the service upgrade was turning into such a cluster-f***, that I decided to hold off until next year. The expense was getting too high to justify before getting the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Dartmouth had some EV charging (for a professor) in the past. see: Life With an Electric Car: Noel Perrin: 9780871564979: Amazon.com: Books

Perrin bought that car in the early 90's, IIRC, long before J1772 existed. His commute was 15-20 miles; he could have easily charged on a standard 120V outlet at his office (if he needed to charge at all).

Hanover is moving forward with plans to install EV charging in the town's garage, which will be fine once it's in place. Much easier to spend a couple hours with my son than in the Marriott's lobby. :)

Still, Tesla must have known early, early on the WRJct needs a supercharger. Not only isn't it in yet, but as far as we know there is no progress in planning it. That's shameful.

I have great news! Hookset NH is a go. Learned it from an unrelated contractor working at the same site. He confirmed it with the site's general contractor. Believes it to be a 6-bay supercharger—on both northbound and southbound I-93. Not sure of completion date, but likely this fall sometime. This location is 60 miles north of Boston, which makes it ideal. The rebuild of the Hookset sites will include four new restaurants, in addition to the existing state liquor stores.

When combined with the upcoming superchargers in Burlington VT and West Lebanon NH, travel on the Montreal-Boston corridor should be a piece of cake, even in sub-zero temps.

Thank you to everyone who pushed for Hookset!

Last edited:
I have great news! Hookset NH is a go. Learned it from an unrelated contractor working at the same site. He confirmed it with the site's general contractor. Believes it to be a 6-bay supercharger—on both northbound and southbound I-93. Not sure of completion date, but likely this fall sometime. This location is 60 miles north of Boston, which makes it ideal. The rebuild of the Hookset sites will include four new restaurants, in addition to the existing state liquor stores.

When combined with the upcoming superchargers in Burlington VT and West Lebanon NH, travel on the Montreal-Boston corridor should be a piece of cake, even in sub-zero temps.

Thank you to everyone who pushed for Hookset!

YES!!! This was the one I really wanted (even over the one a couple miles from my house!). I hope the contractor meant Tesla supercharger and not just a Chargepoint/Blink, etc.

But there's still room for confusion, as discussions with Tesla took place when the plan was only to wire the new facility for the day they (or some DCFC provider) wanted to install the chargers. That was how the new Hookset station was built. Otherwise, they'd have completed it with superchargers, and all. My impression was they're almost done renovating the rest stop. Is it done? If not, maybe Tesla pulled the trigger when it made $$ sence, afterall. Fingers crossed, but room to be let down.

Noel "Ned" Perrin lived just down the road from me and he charged that car from a 120v outlet. It had lead-acid batteries and a solar panel on the hood. Dartmouth did install a NEMA 14-50 indoors at the Thayer engineering school to charge a Roadster one year. But it's not available from outside the building. The car was driven through a large set of double doors (a Model S would never fit) and then down the main hall and parked for several hours while on display.

There are 4 J1772's at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (2 in the Hospital garage, 2 at the Heater Road office), but they are 3.3kW (16A@208V). They are on plugshare. It appears plans are in the works to add stations at the College and in the downtown parking garage. See JT's and my posts here:

Vermont Supercharger? Please!!! | Forums | Tesla Motors

I'm sure you know this but just to clarify, those chargers are not at Dartmouth in Hanover. They are at the medical center in Lebanon. And as you pointed out, virtually useless to anybody at only 16A. They are almost always in use during business hours.

Thank you for encouraging the College to install high-current stations for families dropping their kids off, and generally making them future-proof.

Last edited:
YES!!! This was the one I really wanted (even over the one a couple miles from my house!). I hope the contractor meant Tesla supercharger and not just a Chargepoint/Blink, etc.

No worries. The contractor said "6-bay Tesla Superchargers." The pressure is on to get the I-89/I-93 corridor up and running because Tesla is about to open the largest store in North America up in Montreal.

I'm sure you know this but just to clarify, those chargers are not at Dartmouth in Hanover. They are at the medical center in Lebanon. And as you pointed out, virtually useless to anybody at only 16A. They are almost always in use during business hours.
Thanks, I should have made that clear. I have never checked out the stations during business hours. The hospital garage is ~3 miles from campus, and Heater Rd is ~4.5 miles away. You could drive there, and, if you find an open charger, take the Advanced Transit bus back to Hanover, but we're getting into "Doctor, it hurts when I do this" territory...

No worries. The contractor said "6-bay Tesla Superchargers." The pressure is on to get the I-89/I-93 corridor up and running because Tesla is about to open the largest store in North America up in Montreal.
I'll be sure to pay closer attention on my weekly trips through Hooksett. If I see anything interesting, I'll post. I'll check out the northbound rest area tomorrow.

I'll be quite annoyed if the state puts in only tesla quick charge. I understand this is a tesla forum but it doesn't do the EV movement any good to have state-sponsored EV elitism. They really should put in a mix of CHADEMO, SAE CCS, and supercharger. Plus some 70a J1772...

I'll be quite annoyed if the state puts in only tesla quick charge. I understand this is a tesla forum but it doesn't do the EV movement any good to have state-sponsored EV elitism. They really should put in a mix of CHADEMO, SAE CCS, and supercharger. Plus some 70a J1772...

I agree that we should see more EV charging solutions there and any other place where there are SCs. However, if TM is willing to foot the bill for install I think if the only thing put in there are SC Then shame on the local gov/state gov/Chargepoint for not stepping up to the plate.....