Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Ontario Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now only 49 days until the deadline. Any word on whether extensions have been granted.

You could write the transport ministry. In November the official line was still the head-in-the-sand, "all will be on time."

I am curious if they have finally realized it was a mistake to award most of the contract to unproven KSI.
It's something they will probably never admit, but they may quietly cancel the KSI contract and reopen it for bidding.

Reactions: mrElbe and Jaff
An article just came out hinting at the debacle. Though in public they're still insisting all is well, I hope behind the scenes they are moving to replace the incompetent bid-winners. Out of 144 CHAdeMO and 170+ L2 in its contract, KSI has managed to install a whopping three L2.

Others aren't so much better, only six out of 70 non-KSI CHAdeMO are online, plus some that are apparently awaiting utility hook-up for a month or more.

Charging ahead? Provincial plans to build an electric vehicle charging corridor are down to the wire

For what the CHAdeMO adaptor is and does, its a bargain. There aren't many other microprocessor controlled dongles out there that can handle 125 amps at 500 volts.

The CCS combo adaptor shouldn't have to be so complicated, AFAIK, since it piggy backs on the J1772 signaling protocol already supported by the car. It should look more like the J1772 to Tesla connector adaptor.

I don't want to pay $450 for a device that I may only use once or twice.

Well. For someone who payed a premium to drive a Tesla, you've got anothing interesting perspective on value. The CHAdeMO adaptor is not a charity program for Tesla, it costs what it does to recoup R&D and production costs. You don't have to buy it if you don't need it.

I understand that Tesla is a business and I have no issue with them charging that amount, but just because I paid $140k for a car doesn't mean that I should go and spend $450 on an accessory that I might only ever use once or twice. It is thanks to Tesla's SCs that I won't need a CHAdeMO adapter.

I LOVE driving my Tesla but I have no interest in driving my Model S, or any car, long distances. From Toronto I could possible drive to Montreal or Ottawa but I would never drive to the Maritimes or out west - I would fly (and I own a vacation property in the Maritimes). So Tesla SCs will serve me well. And even my use of SCs is limited. I have used Barrie once, Woodstock three times, and Grimsby twice in my 26 months as the owner of a Model S. And as we can see from the new web services available, and what we have always suspected, Canadian SCs have very low utilization - Lawrence Ave excepted, so there is little worry of being shut out when you arrive at an SC.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
$674 and tax ($761) to be precise. I bought one at Tranmere at the end of January. It hurts, but it'll be better than when all the L3 chargers are up and the adapters are backordered. I drive up into (mid) Northern Ontario and the Tims and McD's planned chargers will be great options. Yes it sucks to spend that but i'm pretty sure it'll retain its' value. ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: Jaff
Hey CadillacJ, do you know if the Espanola L3 is progressing, I know you have family nearby and I'm planning another Manitoulin trip this summer. It was tough for me to charge on the island last time I visited.

Hi there - no clue to be honest. Between family there and in Wiarton, I hope they do get them done by the summer!

BTW - I think all the L3 chargers are all CSS/ChaDEMo combos like the ones already deployed (ie Port Severn).