Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New open-source and free desktop app available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I currently own a Tesla and found that a desktop app that can perform some of the main Tesla mobile app capabilities would be nice, so I decided to build one on my own and make it open source. Some users who rent their car (on Turo or similar services) found it really useful to keep an eye on their vehicle statuses as they work from their computers, without relying on the mobile app solely. There are other use cases where a desktop app is more suitable compared to a mobile app and I couldn't find a nice solution out there.

ae2SsH.jpg

I'm sharing here so any other owners can try it out as well. It's free and open source. Contributions are welcome (for other developers interested in helping out)

Site: https://nikola.site
Code: https://github.com/geraldoramos/nikola

Features:
  • Real-time location tracking
  • Track of several statuses (Speed, battery, temperature, software version, etc...)
  • Remote locking/unlocking
  • Remote climate control
  • Remote sentry mode toggle
  • Auto-update (of the app, not the car)
  • Custom images for all Tesla models
  • Dynamic icon for battery level
  • Tesla AuthKey stored locally*

*Tesla Auth token is stored locally upon login and is not sent anywhere besides Tesla servers. The app is local and only communicates with Tesla servers, directly. To remove the token from your computer, just log out.

Thanks for checking it out,

Geraldo

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-8_7-44-59.png
    upload_2019-6-8_7-44-59.png
    1 MB · Views: 258
Looks nice, thanks for making this open source! I use tesla-bitbar (therippa/tesla-bitbar) which handles multiple cars well (I see is on your ToDo list) and sorts them by their personalized name and is lightweight, but has not been updated with recent features like Sentry Mode. Here is a bitbar that uses the tesla-bitbar plugin with more recent features, but no multiple car support: pvdabeel/mytesla

This is great! Love the clean look of the app. I can definitely see using this since its so easy to access, I never use any of the app features as its too cumbersome to open it up, go to the different menus etc.

One question - I sit possible to change the inside temp to F instead of C?

Looks nice, thanks for making this open source! I use tesla-bitbar (therippa/tesla-bitbar) which handles multiple cars well (I see is on your ToDo list) and sorts them by their personalized name and is lightweight, but has not been updated with recent features like Sentry Mode. Here is a bitbar that uses the tesla-bitbar plugin with more recent features, but no multiple car support: pvdabeel/mytesla

Thanks for sharing, for some reason I didn't find these projects. They look nice. One thing to point out is that they don't offer windows builds.

I will try to implement the multiple car management as well, along with native notification features (battery disconnected, etc) and scheduling features. For scheduling features, it requires a service(server) because we can't rely on the app running future tasks if it's not open. Is this something you might find useful? Like, setting up Sentry mode to be turned on every night, things like that? or schedule climate to turn on around the time you leave for work or from work, etc... I have the impression that automating certain tasks might be a cool thing to do, with recurring capabilities as well.

This is great! Love the clean look of the app. I can definitely see using this since its so easy to access, I never use any of the app features as its too cumbersome to open it up, go to the different menus etc.

One question - I sit possible to change the inside temp to F instead of C?

Yes, but the last version still doesn't have it. I'm about to push a new version and if you have the app, it should update on your next run.

New temperature set capability is now available. If you downloaded a packaged version (not built from source), the app will update on your next run. The current version is 0.2.6 (You can right click to see where you are)

kio2n4.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-9_20-4-28.png
    upload_2019-6-9_20-4-28.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 109
Hey guys,

I currently own a Tesla and found that a desktop app that can perform some of the main Tesla mobile app capabilities would be nice, so I decided to build one on my own and make it open source. Some users who rent their car (on Turo or similar services) found it really useful to keep an eye on their vehicle statuses as they work from their computers, without relying on the mobile app solely. There are other use cases where a desktop app is more suitable compared to a mobile app and I couldn't find a nice solution out there.

ae2SsH.jpg

I'm sharing here so any other owners can try it out as well. It's free and open source. Contributions are welcome (for other developers interested in helping out)

Site: https://nikola.site
Code: https://github.com/geraldoramos/nikola

Features:
  • Real-time location tracking
  • Track of several statuses (Speed, battery, temperature, software version, etc...)
  • Remote locking/unlocking
  • Remote climate control
  • Remote sentry mode toggle
  • Auto-update (of the app, not the car)
  • Custom images for all Tesla models
  • Dynamic icon for battery level
  • Tesla AuthKey stored locally*

*Tesla Auth token is stored locally upon login and is not sent anywhere besides Tesla servers. The app is local and only communicates with Tesla servers, directly. To remove the token from your computer, just log out.

Thanks for checking it out,

Geraldo
Thanks for putting this together!