Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner… I wish someone would've warned me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, other cars will feel slow, but I have to admit to the following: My son wanted to learn to drive stick shift before these cars are gone for good, so we bought a used 2014 Focus ST two weeks ago. I am finding now excuses to hop into the ST and row through the gears myself. Not bad for that vehicle weight it has a 2 liter turbo engine with 250HP and 270 lb-ft torque, i.e., a fun-to-drive hot hatch. What I would really like is if Tesla would produce a hatchback EV in the form factor of a VW GTI or Focus ST, I would immediately trade in my current Model 3 and get that one.
That's exactly what the rumored Model 2 was supposed to be. Seems it's been put on the way back burner.

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday
While I firmly believe EVs are the future. ICE will always have a place.

The weekend car. It’s a lot like vintage aircraft. People don’t use them day to day anymore, but they will on the weekends. Hopping into a 60s or 90s manual muscle car or other variety will always be exhilarating. Electrics don’t hit that way. But, I wouldn’t trade my MSLR for anything.

Reactions: rpiotro and tm1v2
While I firmly believe EVs are the future. ICE will always have a place.

The weekend car. It’s a lot like vintage aircraft. People don’t use them day to day anymore, but they will on the weekends. Hopping into a 60s or 90s manual muscle car or other variety will always be exhilarating. Electrics don’t hit that way. But, I wouldn’t trade my MSLR for anything.
Absolutely agree. We have plenty of people riding horses on the weekends. This is exactly what the horse and carriage owners said of the gas car over 100 years ago.

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
I used to love the sound of a turbo charged performance engine, but now after 2 years with my M3LR, I much prefer the silence, and the instant acceleration at any speed - no more turbo lag!!!!
100%. Coming from a heavily tuned big turbo A4, I loved the sound, but I don’t miss the anxiety and costs of keeping it running. After three years in the 3, I’ve adapted to really prefer the silence and being able to hear the tires on the pavement and the rush of wind when I jam from a start. It’s like a rollercoaster. 🎢

My M3LR recently turned 4 years. Have to say I still enjoy it as much as when I just bought it. Love the quiet, uncluttered interior and managed to keep it that way. Kind of recoil when I see other cars’ interiors. Of course love the instant acceleration. 4 years no smell of gasoline or exhaust. Drove stick for many years and enjoyed the sounds of the race track at events but no regrets leaving ICE behind. Nice to see so many new owners enjoying the change.

Your issue is that the procharger is a centrifugal. At 3k rpm, you're making 3 psi boost, 4k rpm is 4 psi boost, etc. You won't hit peak torque until 5k rpm or so. So anything under 3k rpm, you're really down on torque and the engine feels lazy, but at 5k rpm it explodes with fury. The thing is that when it is explodes with fury, you then lose traction. Meanwhile an awd tesla is 10 car lengths in front of you, because it left like a rocket. I had a 370z with a Vortech supercharger, making 450 hp and the problem was even more pronounced because it is smaller displacement and revs an extra 1,000 rpm. After having a positive displacement supercharged mustang, then the centrifugal, I vowed to never have another centrifugal charger. And Now that electric is here.... Oh my. warp speed.

Reactions: XPsionic
My Camaro SS 1LE (which I recently sold) just felt so sluggish, especially after driving an MS Plaid. Before that I used to think that a V8 had awesome throttle response.
Of course above 80mph the Camaro was faster than my M3P but the M3P is the king of autocross and stoplight ego battles.

My Camaro SS 1LE (which I recently sold) just felt so sluggish, especially after driving an MS Plaid. Before that I used to think that a V8 had awesome throttle response.
Of course above 80mph the Camaro was faster than my M3P but the M3P is the king of autocross and stoplight ego battles.
Of course that MS Plaid would leave even a ZR1 for dead on the highway. I always try to convince myself the M3P is enough…I still want a tri-motor one day :D

Reactions: Darmie