Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owners: What was your last car? How much more was the MS than that car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps more to the point, I figured recently that in order to use the savings from not buying gasoline to pay for the difference between the cost of the Model S we bought and that of the car we gave up, I'd have to drive the S until I'm 120. I guess that wasn't the reason we bought it… :crying:

Just putting this out there that if someone counted up all the different types of cars people left to move to a Tesla and did some excel magic on them it could make for some really cool charts and graphs.

1012 BMW AH7 $132,000 Every Option available. Still the most comfortable and easiest to drive and trip card ever. I wouldn't give up my HightTech S85D as my daily commuter ever, but I sure can't give up this ride either.

IMG_4520.JPG

I've had four hybrid luxury cars since 2007: three Lexus GS450h and one Infiniti M35h. They were all in the $50-60K range. I've been buying hybrids to keep HOV exemption in Virginia. My 85D is coming in October when my current lease on the last and final Lexus GS450h ends.

fascinated by this article (previously posted)
Turns out, you dont have to be rich to own a Tesla - Quartz
see prior ownership stats.

let's recreate this survey (unscientifically) here:

[+] what was your immediately prior primary car before getting (and presumably primarily driving) the MS?
MAKE - MODEL - YEAR

[+] the premium, if any
DEFINED as [how much you paid for the MS] LESS [then-current value of the prior car]
in $

no need for the exact old/new $ details, just the difference

me =
1) Toyota Venza 2013
2) +$90K (suddenly rediscovered a passion for cars)

1) 2011 BMW 335d (my most expensive car at the time)
2) +$40k

I'll go back a few cars,
1) 2008 Audi R8 v8. Sold for
2) 2013 Nissan GT-R premium for
3) 2013 tesla model P85 fully loaded - rear seats. Sold for

my current. 2015 Tesla P85D. ~+60k.

Bought my wife for winter driving a BMW M235i x drive 2015, the BMW replaces an Audi TT-s 2011

A Duster, 67 Mustang, Opel, Electra, Colt, Suburban, Nissan 300, Mazda 626, Honda Sports Prelude, Park Avenue, Hyundai, Carolla, Lexus ES300, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, Prius Hybrid, and a few that I forgot were my cars. Had a total of 22 cars in about 40 years since I came to USA. Also had two motorcycles. Actually, I was driving to a Porsche to buy a Cayman but ended up with Model S.
Loved the Park Avenue with a dozen lights and accessories but ..
Hyundai was a disaster ...
Prelude was great!
Opel taught me about junk yards as I spent substantial week ends looking for parts.
Mustang, I left it in a parking lot, as it never started in the Minnesota weather after freezing (nearly to death!)(
Had the Colt for a month-it was great but I didn't need it
Lexuses (2) were great but BORING!
Priuses were wonderful. My son drove it for over 10 years.

It is over 2 years since I bought Model S. Happy with it but past tells me that when there is a better/newer technology, I might succumb to temptation.

Ah, memories. Here's my complete history:
1) Triumph TR-7, $6202.17 (how am I EVER going to afford all that?) British designed and built.
2) Ford EVP, about $8K. Designed in USA, built in Canada.
3) Mazda MX-6 GT, about $14K. Designed in Japan, built in USA.
4) VW Passat 1.8T, around $23K. Designed in Germany, built in Mexico.
5) Honda Accord Hybrid, $32K minus $4K? hybrid rebate, designed in Japan, built in USA.
5) Tesla S85, $93K minus $14K state & fed rebate, designed and built in USA.

The Honda has been out from under its tarp 4 times in the year I've had the Tesla; once to get the hybrid battery replaced. I thought I'd need an ICE in case there was a trip that the Tesla range was insufficient for. In 38K miles of road trips, that hasn't happened.
deleteme.jpg

My car history:
1) 1983 Mercedes-Benz 300SD purchased in 2000 for $7000
2) 1991 Mitsubishi Delica L300 purchased in 2006 for $9000
3) 1994 Mitsubishi Delica L400 purchased in 2010 for $14000

4) 2014 Tesla Model S P85+ purchased in 2015 for $105000
Somewhat out of character I would say...

Picking up a 70D tomorrow.

The car that it's replacing is a TDI Volkswagen Golf, with the (ahem!) special performance-enhancing software. I think we paid $28K for it.

Definitely more expensive, and a real step up in the tree-hugging department.

Interesting thread. In the UK our energy minister (dangerous lady - hates all things renewable) took a pop at Tesla owners as elite and not real EV drivers (paraphrasing). There must be quite a few in the UK stretching themselves. The only way I am elite is because I hate everyone ;-).

1) 2006 VW Touran 2.0tdi (yes, diesel; yes, VW; I know)
2) 85D +£65k (if my sister actually pays me the agreed £3k for passing the Touran to her...all previous house deposits and loaned money have long been written off)

My wife works part-time in the NHS on an average salary and at school pick-up time one of the mums jokingly said "Did I spot a Tesla at your house? I did not know radiographers got paid so much". My wife was a bit embarrassed, so said nothing. That same mum also said they looked at the Tesla, but they do too much European driving, which is ironic since the whole summer has been UK Tesla owners boasting how great a tourer around France, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway the Model S is - I will need to subtley give her some education!

fascinated by this article (previously posted)
Turns out, you dont have to be rich to own a Tesla - Quartz
see prior ownership stats.

let's recreate this survey (unscientifically) here:

[+] what was your immediately prior primary car before getting (and presumably primarily driving) the MS?
MAKE - MODEL - YEAR

[+] the premium, if any
DEFINED as [how much you paid for the MS] LESS [then-current value of the prior car]
in $

2008 Audi RS4 cabriolet (awd) - purchased used in 2013 for ~$50K, probable trade = $29K
(It's been an expensive ride but it's been fun, and at least he's not a dirty diesel!)

MS 90D List $98.2K, + dual charger (2K) = $100.2K
(Not even gonna count solar panels, electrician, wraps, tinting, & other random junk I've already bought for this car that I don't have yet. Tesla is kinda like buying a Mac, everything is more $$.)

Premium = $71.2K.

Ouch! *checks kitchen for ramen noodles*
⊙.◎)