Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P90D does 1/4 mile in 10.8 and 0-60 in 2.8s. Question: Does P85D get any love?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ran a quick order through. The BASE P85D price has dropped to $87500 from $97500 which I paid last month. The $10k "upgrade" for ludicrous mode brings the cost back to what I paid. The ludicrous mode upgrade requires a battery pack range upgrade of $3k. So I'm thinking I pay $3K and I'm good to get ludicrous mode.

I configured a P90D with the same options as my P85D delivered last month, and the P90D was exactly $9,750 more expensive.

If you are not someone who needs the range, then it is essentially for nothing. Forcing P85D buyers, who want the faster acceleration, to also buy a range upgrade that they don't want or need - and one that isn't technically required to achieve that faster acceleration - seems wrong to me. But I know why Tesla is doing it.
You use the word "forcing" differently than I do. Similarly for "nothing".

When did Tesla promise 2.8 second acceleration with the P85D? I thought it was advertised as 3.2 and Tesla said they were working to make it quicker. They got it down to 3.1 with software but looks like that is the limit.

Thank you! People bought a 3.2 sec car and got a 3.1 second car at no additional cost. Some folks will never be happy.

- - - Updated - - -

Not so happy getting creamed by cars on the freeway from 60 -80 MPH in the Bay Area that the P85D should have easily dispatched had it actually lived up to it's hp claims which it doesn't even come close.

The P85D performance is more than adequate for highway driving...as is the 85D, P85, and even 85. If there's an ego issue, some cars will never be able to make up for that.

Thank you! People bought a 3.2 sec car and got a 3.1 second car at no additional cost. Some folks will never be happy.

The P85D performance is more than adequate for highway driving...as is the 85D, P85, and even 85. If there's an ego issue, some cars will never be able to make up for that.

There's no ego issue and the 0-60 is not the part that anyone wants faster. It's the part above 60mph. I will be happy with the P85D when it acts like a 691hp car above 60mph as that's what I thought I was buying.

There's no ego issue and the 0-60 is not the part that anyone wants faster. It's the part above 60mph. I will be happy with the P85D when it acts like a 691hp car above 60mph as that's what I thought I was buying.

It was probably worthwhile asking Tesla or looking here for those performance metrics prior to buying. Only having two gears instead of 6-8 limits the acceleration in the range you are looking for from what I understand.

The 0-60 number from Tesla is using rollout. So the specs is not correct when comparing to example Porsche that list real 0-60 mph times. Both caranddriver and edmunds test both with and without rollout. The P85D is closer to 3.5 sec on 0-60 without rollout.

- - - Updated - - -

It has nothing to do with what is adequate. My Prius is adequate for highway driving too. It's about what I paid for. I paid for a car that does 50-90 like a car that has 691 hp. The P85D does not. It does it like a car that has a powe to weight ratio of 1 hp / 9 lbs. What I paid for was a car that has a power to weight ratio of 1 hp / 7 lbs. It has nothing to do with ego.

Add me to this list. Anyone who tries to defend Tesla by stating performance is more than adequate doesn't quite understand that some of us bought the car based on the representations made by Musk at the intro event. He was selling a car that was supposed to have supercar levels of performance, not just at the 0-60 range, as well as autonomous driving features. Those seem to be further away than ever before...

I like my P85D. It's not the car I was promised, though. Had it been what was promised, I would eagerly pay a few grand to upgrade performance to ludicrous. As it is, until Musk and crew deliver the car they promised back in late 2014, they won't get another dime from me.

It was probably worthwhile asking Tesla or looking here for those performance metrics prior to buying. Only having two gears instead of 6-8 limits the acceleration in the range you are looking for from what I understand.

But that's not what's limiting acceleration. It's limited by lack of power. At 90% SOC, the battery draws at most 414KW which equates to 555 hp under *PERFECT* *IDEAL* conditions with *ZERO* conversion losses and 100% efficiency. So in the real world, by the time it reaches the motor shafts, which is where other manufacturers rate their power it's considerably less. In every day driving SOC ranges which average a lot less than a peak 90% daily driving range, the average amount of peak hp will be even less.

....and where did you get two gears btw?

- - - Updated - - -

The 0-60 number from Tesla is using rollout. So the specs is not correct when comparing to example Porsche that list real 0-60 mph times. Both caranddriver and edmunds test both with and without rollout. The P85D is closer to 3.5 sec on 0-60 without rollout.

That's exactly what I see without the 1 ft rollout on my VBOX. But I've never seen an auto mag actually get the speced 0-60. It's almost impossible and when it does happen it takes a professional track driver doing multiple attempts. As far as I'm concerned, Tesla has over delivered on their 0-60 promise because relative to other manufactures, it's actual 0-60 performance is better relative to the claimed 0-60 performance of other manufactures.

I don't know what's going on on this board, but this incessant whining in intolerable. Especially because it's full of half-truths and misinformation. I'm starting to think it's being astroturfed by big oil, and the time should be taken to purge it all.

This announcement is awesome. The price of the fully configured P90D barely went up from the old P85D. I know because I probably configure a car every week, waiting for the right time to buy.