TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New price adjustment to upgrade Sr to SR+

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by drosass, Jun 3, 2020.

1. SammichLover

SammichLover Banned

Which reminds me which were those Grand Parkway exits, again?

;)

• Like x 1
  2. ellett

ellett Member

"Software usually has a smaller upfront cost"?!?!?! NO! I've worked in software for decades and software products can be in development for years with zero income to the company. Dozens of software engineers making six-figure salaries plus a QA department plus a technical documentation department plus expensive servers and workstations and networks and an IT department to support it all. Software development is a HUGE money sink.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 2
    • Funny x 1
  3. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

Easily done. Your friendly, neighborhood Kia dealer would be happy to help.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 3
  4. PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy Member

I work in software development...i know. The upfront capital expenditure is far less than hardware and the profit margin potential is far higher because of how scalable it is. Just look at the most valuable companies in the stock market for the proof... they are all tech companies. Their high valuations are based on the idea that these tech companies can grow revenue with very little additional costs. Hire 10 developers, pay them $200k w/ no sales for 2 years and you've spent $4m and you could have a $1bn tech startup, or you could spend $1bn upfront building a manufacturing plant and have a product that fails in the market. The risk is much lower w/ SW and that is a pretty accepted maxim at this point. I'm not saying anything crazy here.

• Informative x 2
  5. rdskill

rdskill Member

Good luck. They should make the price change across the board. It's the same car, same parts as the ones made before it. but Tesla corporate isn't interested in integrity or outstanding customer service.

• Like x 2
  6. vickh

vickh Active Member

still 35k. I doubt they'll lower it since it's a loss leader..

well AP upgrade is and to OP's point it makes no sense to buy SR at current price.

If it's 5k, I almost don't want to unlock the buffer. I feel it might be worth something to a buyer as a protected range boost in the future and I can charge to 100% w/o fear of damaging battery

7. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

On 99 going South between Westheimer Parkway and Hwy 90.

Enjoy!

8. SammichLover

SammichLover Banned

Which one(s)?

And for clarity this is the "defensively taking up your full legal lane as it is marked" non-issue you're seeing?

• Disagree x 1
  9. vickh

vickh Active Member

small world my sister lives in Cinco Ranch and takes that route .

• Like x 1
  10. endollan

endollan Member

So, I've sent Tesla customer service an email to ask about the new price on the SR+. I current have the SR with AP, which at the time, paid $38000, but the new price now for SR+ is $37990, when asked about this upgrade, they said I wouldn't be able to just get an upgrade, but will forward my question to corporate. They didn't say, what it would take to upgrade to SR+ for me and left it at that. I might pursue the question further, but I don't think there's a clear answer yet from Tesla corporate.

11. vickh

vickh Active Member

keep us posted, but I'd expect a too bad, prices change reply. I hope I'm wrong.

• Funny x 1
  12. endollan

endollan Member

Here is another post directly from Tesla from other customers discussing about the SR+ upgrade.

Upgrade SR to SR+ | Tesla

• Informative x 1
  13. vickh

vickh Active Member

Tesla should offer a reduced price for this upgrade or the SR is no longer a good value.

I also hope they offer some sort of price protection period or buyer might stay on the sidelines (typical deflation problem)

• Like x 1
  14. M109Rider

M109Rider Active Member

That’s not how any tech company works.
    No tech companies, including Tesla would exist, if they gave money back to customers every time prices on tech dropped, or products improved and dropped in price.

If you owned a tech company, you would know why they, and no one else can do that.

15. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

At least one person who was still in their 7-day return window was told that their price would be adjusted. So maybe there is a 7-day price protection period. (Which is better than most car dealers offer.)

• Like x 1
  16. fqueiroz

fqueiroz Member

My SA told me that if you want to upgrade from SR to SR+, all you have to do now is pay the difference, $2990.

• Like x 1
  17. peakshaving

peakshaving Member

Oh crap! I might jump on this if it's true.

18. vickh

vickh Active Member

confirmed for existing SR owners? or just new buyers

19. fqueiroz

fqueiroz Member

Well, a new buyer can just buy the SR+ if they want to. I would assume, it's only for existing owners.

20. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

"assuming" is normally not a great idea, especially when it comes to anything tesla related. Until an existing owner buys the upgrade for the price you specified, we could also "assume" that the SA was talking about the fact that the difference in cost between an SR and SR+ is 2990 (as an example).

Are you an existing model 3 SR owner, and succesfully purchased the upgrade to SR+ for the price you specified?