Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Service Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe Tesla should assign unique serial numbers (digitally encoded inside the hardware) to each UMC so that they can be easily identified. That way, if someone is selling one, they can tell where it came from and if it was stolen.
should be simple enough, maybe go as far as put the VIN of the car it came with? That way a "numbers matching" car would have to have it to be authentic, and documentation if one had to be replaced...

I just took my X in for the 25,000 mile service. The overall experience was quite different from my last service about 9 months ago. This time - pulling up they had several cars checking in. While I discussed the service with the adviser - another individual photographed my car in great detail - inside and out - after asking permission to enter the car. They identified two minor scratches that I had not noticed. They asked whether it was okay to update the firmware and wash the car ( I know some folks are very sensitive on those two points). The loaner car - also an X - was all set to go. I just had to show my license, sign for the car and I was off and going. During the service I received text messages following the progress throughout the day - from staging - to maintenance - to car wash.

Nine months ago - it was quite a bit more informal and clearly not geared to handling volumes of service. I commented to the adviser that this was quite a different process and he indicated they are gearing up for the Model 3.

All of the process changes made good sense to me. The overall communication was much better. The time to drop off the car and get in the loaner was about 10 minutes overall.

It is good to see the progress toward a more scalable service model.

There is always a reason why people go over the top. Either you have been a drama queen in the past or that specific SC has been sued or had several claims of damage against them. I know several of my Tesla's have been damaged at the SC.

I just took my X in for the 25,000 mile service. The overall experience was quite different from my last service about 9 months ago. This time - pulling up they had several cars checking in. While I discussed the service with the adviser - another individual photographed my car in great detail - inside and out - after asking permission to enter the car. They identified two minor scratches that I had not noticed. They asked whether it was okay to update the firmware and wash the car ( I know some folks are very sensitive on those two points). The loaner car - also an X - was all set to go. I just had to show my license, sign for the car and I was off and going. During the service I received text messages following the progress throughout the day - from staging - to maintenance - to car wash.

Nine months ago - it was quite a bit more informal and clearly not geared to handling volumes of service. I commented to the adviser that this was quite a different process and he indicated they are gearing up for the Model 3.

All of the process changes made good sense to me. The overall communication was much better. The time to drop off the car and get in the loaner was about 10 minutes overall.

It is good to see the progress toward a more scalable service model.
I am excited to hear this. I wondered what service would look like when my husband and I finally get to become owners. :)

Tesla makes a great product. I've had my P90D for almost 2 years.

But, they haven't figured out how to be a car company yet. Their policies around client care are the industry's worst, and the inconsistencies noted here are just more proof. Great car, lousy company. If they are this disorganized when they are turning out low volumes of S and X models, God help all owners when they are producing 10,000 3s a month.

Communication is a huge problem for Tesla and will be worse if not fixed by the time Model 3 rolls out and I'm glad to see that they actually were texting you updates.

How I wish I was texted or emailed updates during my current Journey to Delivery Day. Been 3 weeks since order confirmation and no updates to me at all. If I send an email, it takes forever (2 weeks in my case) for a response back.

Hopefully this will change for future buyers.

My experience was less than ideal.

It was my first service, early August at the Dallas center. They had my loaner ready to go before I got a chance to ask the tech how long it would take to perform the service. (I prefer to avoid TWO unpleasant 45-minute round trips across the DFW metroplex, choosing to read my Kindle in the waiting room.) I balked at the loaner, the tech was summoned, and I declined the loaner. So far so good.

One of the items I'd requested a couple of weeks previously by e-mail and verbally verified with the tech was a state safety inspection so that I could renew my state registration. The state rejected my renewal request because (you guessed it) no inspection was on file. After an unanswered e-mail, and several phone calls including an unfulfilled promise to "call me back," the service manager called and told me that, even though the inspection was on the invoice, they hadn't done the inspection. I was too lazy to repeat the round trip, so I suffered the local rapid-lube. I stayed as close to the car as I could, showing them how to start the car (they wouldn't let me drive it into the shop), check the odometer, turn the car off, etc., and survived with only a few hand prints on the car and the residue from magic marker on the windshield.

Now I worry what else the Service Center printed on the invoice but neglected to perform.

The service manager offered to refund what I'd been charged for the inspection (there was no charge for any of the visit since I'd bought the service plan up front). He explained that state inspections were new to them (this the same service center where a year earlier they inspected the car prior to delivery).

Love the car, I know *sugar* happens, etc. But putting items on the invoice that haven't been done - what kind of process is that?

Overall my experience with Tesla has been generally above that of all other car dealerships in my area. Never being sold service I don't need during a warranty visit is just unheard of.

Service Center policies are inconsistent, and that probably will continue. That was expected when Tesla was a new production car company 2008-2012. Now people question it, after 9 years of car production. "Fully loaded Loaner cars" are the first deviation from Tesla's service policy website. Some folks do get fully loaded loaners, some folks get base model loaners, some get ICE rental cars, some don't get a loaner at all. Some folks had to pay for ranger service, some didn't. Some folks got valet service, others had to pay. Some folks get free washes and waxes, some vehicles never get a wash at all. All dependent on the service center, not corporate policy. Goodwill is the line item for when Tesla goes above and beyond your contract. Some receive more "goodwill" than others which may be making some people feel irritated on the forums.

Personally I've had about 7 loaner cars. At first they would valet a base model S to my vehicles location. SC had time to investigate and repair all sorts of issues I had not even discovered yet. Then the SC began to charge for valet, still the base model loaners. Then when the X's came out, the valet and fully loaded were reserved for the X customers. SC stopped having time to do extra above and beyond proactive work on S's. The X's had so many initial quality issues, they were backing up in the service schedule queue. It wasn't until the SC accidentally totaled my vehicle that I was provided an older yet fully loaded loaner vehicle. They did let me keep the loaner for 3 months while my X was being built. I disliked the loaners snow tires during the summer, it rode really harsh. Once I got my X replacement for the damaged S, and had the X in for service, no more free valet for the X's but I was given the fully loaded X loaner. Now at the annual service, they no longer have loaners, but can again valet with an ICE rental car if I choose.

Over the course of 8 visits, I got 1 wash, and quite a few promises to wash/wax it "next time". For people this matters to, just get a car wash membership somewhere. I'd rather not have someone else scratch my paint and try to buff it out.

If I had to make one small improvement that's an easy policy change. All owners with annual service plans are in the computer, assigned an initial service center. Tesla also has access to the odometer of every vehicle, and could proactively have an intern reach out and schedule those annual visits, without having to make the customers call in and schedule. That would better balance the SC workload between annual visits, and warranty repairs.

Reactions: BLKMDL3
But putting items on the invoice that haven't been done - what kind of process is that?

I'm still in the last phase of owning "arguably the second safest car in the world" but coincidentally will be returning to the dealership (ugh, what a word) for just that issue, tomorrow. It's to turn off a "Service overdue" message on the annunciator they forgot to check last time. (I bet you can tell I'm just beaming that a software setting needs scheduling, driving to, and waiting for a service appt. . . .)

O/T question: Does TSLA have a policy on dashcams running during service appointments or analytical drives?

O/T question: Does TSLA have a policy on dashcams running during service appointments or analytical drives?

The SC's I've been to generally unplug them. While many suspect some liability issues are the reason, it's mostly so that there is nothing interfering with the cars electronics during diagnostics. Most people are unaware that the vast majority of China sourced electronics do not pass US or EU radio interference tests. 12v USB adapters and bad usb/iphone cables are the #1 problem with interference in modern cars. At best they just use more electricity vampire drain. Most people have no idea there is a microchip inside an iPhone cable, usually cheap and unshielded. Dash cams can back feed some low level RF over the power wire. Good dash cams have a choke coil on the power cable to stop this. At worst they can cause hangs, crashes and reboots of navigation systems. Some really really bad bluetooth FM transmitters leak enough to cause false radar alerts. Completely different frequency band interference! Don't worry though. Cars engine/motor computers are highly tolerant of electrical noise. They have shielding from the ignition coils / motor windings, etc. It's just the infotainment & nav units that are susceptible. Which in Tesla's case may impact the autopilot functions.

I also had a very pleasant but shorter SC visit. The Toronto SC has changed their process and now have a tech and service rep waiting by the drive in bay. They triage the veh right away and direct service. This means that a 10 min problem no long needs to wait behind several 12 hour repairs. My car never left the bay- they addressed two issues on the spot and I drove off 10 min later. Very quick and pleasant, and unlike my wife's car they didn't try and sell me a filter upgrade or other silliness. And all without an appointment. Kudos to Tesla to continue to innovate to meet and exceed expectations. They really are getting ready for the M3.

I am still waiting for a local SC to come to Western New York! My service needs have been handled by the Lynnbrook (Cleveland) SC until I made my last call for service and I was informed that Pittsburgh has been given the responsibility for servicing my area. I have been very happy with the service tech who had been providing ranger service and hope the new tech will be as good.

Reactions: jpw1116
I've found Tesla Service somewhat unresponsive here in Oz, don't get me wrong, once they've acknowledge you things move and they are of course very polite and they give you a loner etc. but it took 3 or 4 emails over a few days for them to decide "ok lets see your car" and that was > 3 weeks ago and I still have no follow up info of when or how my problem will be fixed. Also a couple of the issues I mentioned ended up being related to me (and nobody at Tesla) knowing what/how some aspect of the car should behave. Basically they need some education so that they can confidently tell a customer what they should or shouldn't expect. If Mercedes or BMW gave this level of service I'd be thumping my fist on the table, but given the fact that the car really is the best thing since sliced bread and that they still don't have a full understanding of how service should work I'm willing to go easy for the moment.

Here's the view from Hong Kong. It used to be the case that calls to the Tesla line were answered very promptly. Now, they inevitably go through to voicemail (unless you want to get to the spare part line - their voicemail is permanently full and not accepting messages). They do seem to call back within the day, though. Still irritating since (and I acknowledge this is just bad luck) they always seem to call back at inconvenient times so I end up paying telephone tag... ANYWAY... I paid for three years' servicing upfront when I bought my S. Once we finally connected, I booked the service for a time when we would be away on holiday so didn't need a loaner (don't even know whether it is available tbh), but they do come and collect the car, service it and return it. Easy-peasy. Doesn't seem to have had a wash but then where we are (on a hillside ridge) cars get dusty really quickly.

So my experience, apart from the telephone tag, was all happy. However, the Memsahib has a friend whose Model X has an aircon fault. She has been told the service centre is so busy they won't be able to repair it for six weeks. With temperatures in HK at this time of year in the 90s or more and humidity up to 95%, that's pretty unpleasant.