Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Service Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took my X in for the 25,000 mile service. The overall experience was quite different from my last service about 9 months ago. This time - pulling up they had several cars checking in. While I discussed the service with the adviser - another individual photographed my car in great detail - inside and out - after asking permission to enter the car. They identified two minor scratches that I had not noticed. They asked whether it was okay to update the firmware and wash the car ( I know some folks are very sensitive on those two points). The loaner car - also an X - was all set to go. I just had to show my license, sign for the car and I was off and going. During the service I received text messages following the progress throughout the day - from staging - to maintenance - to car wash.

Nine months ago - it was quite a bit more informal and clearly not geared to handling volumes of service. I commented to the adviser that this was quite a different process and he indicated they are gearing up for the Model 3.

All of the process changes made good sense to me. The overall communication was much better. The time to drop off the car and get in the loaner was about 10 minutes overall.

It is good to see the progress toward a more scalable service model.

I always wondered if every SC is ran differently. If the SC has more traffic it probably has something in place (a better procedure / protocol like you described), and a smaller SC is still ran informally like my local SC.

Every time I went in my SC (all within the past months) they kept changing things around. One thing was they added UMC/adapters checkboxes on the loaner checkout doc, as they told me how the UMCs were stolen when the loaners came back. People can go so low driving these expensive cars.

I just took my X in for the 25,000 mile service. The overall experience was quite different from my last service about 9 months ago. This time - pulling up they had several cars checking in. While I discussed the service with the adviser - another individual photographed my car in great detail - inside and out - after asking permission to enter the car. They identified two minor scratches that I had not noticed. They asked whether it was okay to update the firmware and wash the car ( I know some folks are very sensitive on those two points). The loaner car - also an X - was all set to go. I just had to show my license, sign for the car and I was off and going. During the service I received text messages following the progress throughout the day - from staging - to maintenance - to car wash.

Nine months ago - it was quite a bit more informal and clearly not geared to handling volumes of service. I commented to the adviser that this was quite a different process and he indicated they are gearing up for the Model 3.

All of the process changes made good sense to me. The overall communication was much better. The time to drop off the car and get in the loaner was about 10 minutes overall.

It is good to see the progress toward a more scalable service model.
wow, that's amazing! i've always thought that i had received good service, but that's over the top! :)

I dropped off my car last week and had a similar experience. I haven't really been getting any updates, but they gave me a brand new Model X90 as a loaner. Turns out they need the car for another two weeks to fix some alignment issues with the FWD and I get to keep the loaner.

• Funny
Reactions: LouisMcC
I was in just a few weeks ago and none of these processes were in place. Interesting.

Tesla is in bad need of standardizing their check-in procedure, what I experienced was amateurish at best. If they want to evolve into a leading automotive maker and truly disrupt the industry, then they need to meet or exceed the customer service/interface that is provided elsewhere.

Tesla is light years ahead on innovative automotive technology and just as far behind on customer service.

Reactions: tgal and jeffro01
It's good to hear about these experiences. My local Paramus NJ service center has almost no loaners available. Last loaner was an old S85 RWD pre Autopilot. Current loner I have now is an Infinity QX30 that stinks inside and drives like a wet sponge. It was either between this car and a Nissan to drive. Staff members are nice but I'm not sure why they don't get loaners. Their parking lot is full with brand new S's and X's though.

How's launch mode treating you . . . . or has it already reached its max launch limits . . . . .
Not quite sure yet...still in the waiting room at the orthopedist's office to see what is causing the intense neck pain :) Actually I did not realize it had Ludicrous until I got home this evening. I shall see what happens in the morning.

I had a terrific service experience with Tesla Mobil. I emailed Tesla that I needed to get the recall of the brake clip done and a couple of small things like windshield wipers on my MX90D. Minutes later a reply came from the mobile service. They set up an appointment for 2 days later, came to my office, did the repairs, put the car back in the parking garage and emailed the receipt (no charges) to show the work was done. I complained about wind noise at high speeds (70 plus) and the tech said let me see if I can reproduce it. While he said he couldn't, he pointed out that he adjusted the fixed window drivers side as it wasn't properly aligned. Problem solved! This was as easy as car service gets. Loved it!

I always wondered if every SC is ran differently. If the SC has more traffic it probably has something in place (a better procedure / protocol like you described), and a smaller SC is still ran informally like my local SC.

Every time I went in my SC (all within the past months) they kept changing things around. One thing was they added UMC/adapters checkboxes on the loaner checkout doc, as they told me how the UMCs were stolen when the loaners came back. People can go so low driving these expensive cars.
That's interesting because I had my tesla at a mechanic shop that I have used for over 20 years and I know he wouldn't steal it but the car was sitting outside for a while, on and off charger. But the UMC was always sitting outside and I came back from vacation and checked on the car and it looks like the UMC was stolen at a trusted mechanic shop of mine with a coupe shops around it. I called a guy I've been using for tesla parts to try to buy a new one and he said he doesn't get many in like 1 out of 10 cars he buys and thinks they are being stolen out of cars. I think this is starting to become a common thing and we should start watching out of ours not that I think many people would keep their cars unlocked with someone being able to take them easily.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Speaking of UMCs and other charging equipment..
We can see why UMCs might be stolen, they fetch a good price.
Tesla Mobile Connector Charger Model S/X USED | eBay

I've also seen a number of sellers on eBay who I believe are pocketing some of the Clipper Creek chargers provided by Tesla for installs at hotels.. (Tesla provides a few ClipperCreek EVSEs alongside their Tesla wall connectors.) They install 2 or 4 Tesla Wall connectors, and install 1 or 2 ClipperCreek EVSEs, and then sell the extra 2-3 ClipperCreek EVSEs.

Longer term, as criminals become more familiar with BEVs, I suspect they will target BEVs to steal portable charge cables due to their high value, and it's almost guaranteed that there will be one in the trunk/frunk. While we can certainly replace these items, the real PITA is replacing windows...