TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New (sort of) maps!

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Ingineer, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

On December 19th Tesla released new navigation map updates for both EU and US.

Tesla has begun pushing these out. You will need to have a WiFi connection if you want to get them anytime soon.

The US version is almost 4 gigabytes, so this is why they want you on WiFi.

The versions are listed as 4th Quarter 2015. So I guess they are about a year old.

• Informative x 11
  2. Ingineer

On December 19th Tesla released new navigation map updates for both EU and US.

Tesla has begun pushing these out. You will need to have a WiFi connection if you want to get them anytime soon.

The US version is almost 4 gigabytes, so this is why they want you on WiFi.

The versions are listed as 4th Quarter 2015. So I guess they are about a year old.

• Informative x 1
  3. Reeler

Reeler 7th Year of Pure EV

It is about time. I expected Tesla to update as often as Google does.

• Funny x 1
  4. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Exciting!

Do they take a while to process once downloading or something? My car downloaded maybe 4.2GB while tethered to my phone (much to my surprise -- thank goodness for it being a burner SIM with lots of spare data). But afterwards, I didn't get any alerts.... and further tethering did not result in any more downloading.

• Like x 1
  5. Ingineer

No, usually it's pretty fast once downloaded. However, sometimes it's easy to miss the notice that your maps have been updated. Any action on the screen will hide the dialog boxes, so many people miss it, even though their maps were successfully installed.

Before you ask, no, there is no way to tell which version you have without root access. There may be some subtle differences in the maps, such as new roads added that you could look for. If I get time, I'll see if I can find any "red herring roads" in the new version.

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up!

7. cynix

cynix Member

Did they release anything for Australia? My car doesn't normally have any internet connection, so if they didn't release anything for AU I won't go out of my way to make a connection available.

8. JSergeant

JSergeant Member

Are these delivered separate from the normal updates?

How does one know they have been updated?

9. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

They are pushed separately without user intervention and when installed, there is an update message on the screen.

• Informative x 2
  10. tmarcc

tmarcc Member

The screen shows this message:

✓ Navigation Maps Updated
    Congratulations! Your navigation system is now using the latest maps.

I was surprised to see it yesterday after running an errand. I hadn't been on wifi for several hours when I received the message.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  11. scottm

scottm Active Member

My maps came down last time using the cell network of the car, I have never used wifi of the car.. and I got them around same as everyone else was reporting. Is this "sooner on wifi" a myth?

12. wesley888

wesley888 Member

I'm on WiFi, but I still haven't gotten mine yet.

13. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Supporting Member

No. I connected my car to wifi a couple of hours ago and it started downloading within ten minutes. I got the map update as well as a software update.

14. Lump

Lump Active Member

Wife mentioned maps were updated (sort of) yesterday.

Lets see if after 3 years Nav still wants to take the long way home, wasn't it supposed to learn our commonly traveled routes?

15. Boourns

Boourns Member

Does this update do anything for those few of us without nav?

16. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Excellent. So the first time I apparently got a map update, I never got the "maps updated" msg on the screen... I eventually had the service center look while I happened to be there for some other item.

Any thoughts as to if there are some circumstances that would prevent the notification form popping up

17. nico180

nico180 Serge

Tesla updated my maps today. European version.

In the google-photo-satellite view the images are still a bit old as what i see, but higher resolution from first view. Probably will do some tests on roads where it was a bit misleading in previous version.

18. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

FWIW, I got the map update pop-up about 36 hours after I upgraded to 8.0_2.50.114

19. gfb107

gfb107 Member

I got the map update pop-up the day before I got 8.0_2.50.114

20. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Map updates are to the Navigon/Garmin maps used for navigation routing - not for the Google maps. The Google maps are downloaded in real-time from Google - and always have the latest map data, including recent highway changes. While the Google maps will show recent road changes pretty quickly, the satellite maps will lag, since they don't refresh the satellite images as often.

And the Navigon maps are usually out-of-date by the time we get them - that's true for Tesla and the other car navigation systems.

I live on a street that was built 6-7 years ago - and the navigation software still thinks it take 5 minutes to go past two houses on the block... Hopefully that will be fixed in this map update (if/when I get it).

• Informative x 1