Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New supercharger pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just realized prices of my nearby superchargers increased, in some cases significantly. It seems Tesla is no longer charging the same price per state, instead each location has its own prices.

Also, the two superchargers in Forida’s turnpike that used to be free are no longer free, just checked in the car’s map.

I guess in face of the layoffs this makes sense, as Tesla looks for ways to survive the market according to Elon

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
Just realized prices of my nearby superchargers increased, in some cases significantly. It seems Tesla is no longer charging the same price per state, instead each location has its own prices.

Also, the two superchargers in Forida’s turnpike that used to be free are no longer free, just checked in the car’s map.

It has always been that each state has it's own pricing for supercharging. It has never been a single price.

Although, the price does seem to have increased:

Supercharging

1200x600-Supercharger-Straight.jpg

Supercharger stations are conveniently located near desirable amenities like restaurants, shops and WiFi hot spots. Each station contains multiple Superchargers to get you back on the road quickly.

Below are additional program details which apply to Tesla vehicles under the Supercharger program.

• All new Tesla vehicles require a fee to Supercharge.
  • Where possible, owners are billed per kWh (kilowatt-hour), which is the most fair and simple method. In other areas, we bill for the service per minute.
  • When billing per minute, there are two tiers to account for changes in charging speeds, called “tier 1” and “tier 2”.
  • Tier 1 applies while cars are charging at or below 60 kW and tier 2 applies while cars are charging above 60 kW. Tier 1 is half the cost of tier 2.
  • Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car.
  • Pricing to use a Supercharger may vary by location, and prices may change from time to time. All prices include taxes and fees.
  • Average pricing information is provided below and specific pricing for each Supercharger location is shown in the navigation application on the vehicle touchscreen.
  • Certain Model S and X vehicles ordered before November 2, 2018 receive 400 kWh (~1,000 miles) of Supercharger credits annually. Standard Supercharger fees apply after credits are used.
Supercharging is simple and convenient—just plug in and charge up. Supercharging history is automatically populated in your Tesla Account showing the credits used or, if applicable, the amount billed. Tesla is committed to ensuring that Supercharger will never be a profit center.

US average:

$ 0.31 per kWh

Last edited:
It has always been that each state has it's own pricing for supercharging. It has never been a single price.
It had been that way, but no longer. Now it’s 0.31/kWh anywhere in the US where Tesla can charge by kWh. For states where Tesla charges by the minute it’s 0.28/min above 60 kW and 0.14/min below 60 kW.

This makes sense. Supercharging should always cost significantly more than charging at home, to encourage home charging for anyone able to do do. Otherwise Tesla will never be able to meet the demand. And it’s still cheaper than the charging networks.

Lol. $0.26/kW is not cheap. Works out to being no better than a decent hybrid if you're one of the non-garaged and your only option is SCs. And before someone with no idea of practical usage chimes in with simple math, know that the range hit in town can approach or exceed 50% for short haul trips, while still getting every bit of 100% less degradation on the (open) road.

Captive market, folks - it will be what it will be. And I will be driving pre-April 2017 Model Ss until the wheels fall off before I pay those rates.

If you don't drive a lot and/or don't live in one of the higher-priced areas, supercharging will still be a sweet deal for most for the foreseeable future.

Not to mention that despite all the silly rhetoric to the contrary, NOBODY yet has anything close to the SC network Tesla has. One would have thought the EA buildout would be further along but it appears they're finding out the hard way some of the hurdles that Tesla has repeatedly and successfully overcome these past 5-ish years (much like Tesla has encountered numerous hurdles in building the cars that other manufacturers resolved years ago).

Edit: I see in the simultaneous post above that $0.26 is now $0.31. That's quite a jump for many markets that weren't close to $0.26 (heretofore the airspace of CA, MA, and a few others). Like I said - captive market.

Maybe the new web page hadn’t propagated everywhere yet ? I just looked at the supercharger page again and I see .31/kWh everywhere in US where it’s charged by kWh.

I think it’s up to 0.31/kWh... for exact pricing for each location check the map in your car.

All in all I think it’s still relatively fair prices for long range driving, and it will encourage more home charging and less SC crowds hopefully.

Last edited:
Anyone that doesn't like the Tesla price for charging should put in their own home outlet or charge station and charge there. My garage charges me $0.42 per kWh middle of the day (which is why I charge at night). Tesla only charges for power, and you don't pay a dime for their hardware or the leasing they do with the property owner. I'd like to see a comparison for charging at a ChargePoint or ChaDeMo, which are painfully slow, too.

Such a deal!

Anyone that doesn't like the Tesla price for charging should put in their own home outlet or charge station and charge there. My garage charges me $0.42 per kWh middle of the day (which is why I charge a / t night).

Do you get electricity from PG&E ? We have SMUD in Sacramento and the rates are cheaper. I charge between 12 AM and 6 AM and SMUD charges 7.5 cents per kWh, but we are under their solar program rates.

Reactions: DR61
It has always been that each state has it's own pricing for supercharging.

The price within a state used to be the same across the entire state, now price can vary within the state. Here in Texas it used to be $0.10 and $0.20, a quick check and I see:

• $0.13 and $0.25 - Houston Northwest
  • $0.13 and $0.26 - Richmond (Houston metro)
  • $0.14 and $0.28 - Austin
  • $0.14 and $0.28 - Plano (Dallas metro)

It had been that way, but no longer. Now it’s 0.31/kWh anywhere in the US where Tesla can charge by kWh. For states where Tesla charges by the minute it’s 0.28/min above 60 kW and 0.14/min below 60 kW.

No, now it can be different at every Supercharger site instead of being set at the state level.

Maybe the new web page hadn’t propagated everywhere yet ? I just looked at the supercharger page again and I see .31/kWh everywhere in US where it’s charged by kWh.

No that isn't what it says. It says that the average price in the US where it is charged by the kWh is $0.31/kWh.

Electrek has an article about it: https://electrek.co/2019/01/18/tesla-increases-supercharger-prices/

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
How are you seeing prices? My cars do not show pricing in my area.

I see in the electric article that it shows on the car screen when the data is showing for that station, however that line is missing for the stations here or my cars.

I am software 48.12.1