Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New supercharger pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, now it can be different at every Supercharger site instead of being set at the state level.

No that isn't what it says. It says that the average price in the US where it is charged by the kWh is $0.31/kWh.

Electrek has an article about it: Tesla drastically increases Supercharger prices around the world

From the Tesla website on Supercharging :cool:

upload_2019-1-18_20-58-14.png

Anyone that doesn't like the Tesla price for charging should put in their own home outlet or charge station and charge there.

yup, that's why I charge at home for about $0.10 per kWh. I don't want to pay any 3rd party an up charge for the electricity I can get from my local utility.

and yes for anyone that wants to remind me about demand charges and overhead, I do understand. It's rolled into why I charge at home to avoid those costs.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911 and GSP
I have a model three also!

I checked both!

I am not seeing prices either. I am on 2018.50. I am still coded as free unlimited supercharging in MyTesla from the So Cal fires, though. I wonder if that is why?

If superchargers are around $.34/kWh around me tho, that does make an efficient gas car (> 35mpg hwy) cheaper for a road trip. Especially with gas only $3/gallon around here. I don’t chose which car to take on a road trip based on fuel costs, but I do get asked that question a lot from folks curious about EVs. Guess my answer will now be “it costs the same as gas for road trips”.

It seems like ABRP, EVTripPlanner, or maybe someone new should create a route optimizer based, at least partially, on cost. For flight planning, there’s a web site called airnav.com. For a long flight with fuel stops, you put in your start/stop point, how far you can fly between fuel stops, and your runway requirements (length, lights, paved/grass, fuel type, etc) and it calculates out the best places to stop based on current fuel prices. Not as many routing choices while driving, but it’s easy to go 50-100 miles out of your way mid-flight on a long cross country and only add a few minutes to the total flight time.

Simple rule of thumb to accomplish this would be to plan to do meal stops at the sites along your route that have the lowest rates and then skip the next more expensive charger. You would also want to charge minimally at the most expensive site(s) along your route. I did the second item on my latest road trip.

I am not seeing prices either. I am on 2018.50. I am still coded as free unlimited supercharging in MyTesla from the So Cal fires, though. I wonder if that is why?

If superchargers are around $.34/kWh around me tho, that does make an efficient gas car (> 35mpg hwy) cheaper for a road trip. Especially with gas only $3/gallon around here. I don’t chose which car to take on a road trip based on fuel costs, but I do get asked that question a lot from folks curious about EVs. Guess my answer will now be “it costs the same as gas for road trips”.
Click on the SuperCharger icon you wish to visit on your Tesla Nav. It brings up the site description, which includes nearby restaurants, bathrooms, and the Supercharging fee.

I really hope they release a CCS adapter. EV America’s 150/350kw CCS stations would make a good option and provide some pricing competition. I work for a large consumer of electricity in CT and know that we pay under $0.06/kWh all-in. Even with demand charges, Tesla isn’t paying more than $0.10/kWh around here, so the prices they’re charging here are definetly making them a tidy profit.

I really hope they release a CCS adapter. EV America’s 150/350kw CCS stations would make a good option and provide some pricing competition. I work for a large consumer of electricity in CT and know that we pay under $0.06/kWh all-in. Even with demand charges, Tesla isn’t paying more than $0.10/kWh around here, so the prices they’re charging here are definetly making them a tidy profit.
You haven’t considered the infrastructure cost of the supercharger stations.

You haven’t considered the infrastructure cost of the supercharger stations.

My understanding is that they generally don’t pay rent on the property because they’re adding an amenity that attracts rich people to shopping areas. They do have build and maintenance costs, but I still think they’re making a good profit at the rates they’re charging.

In any case, I want other fast charging options. Hopefully once they release the CCS adapter in the EU someone will figure out how to convert it from type2 to type1 so we can use it here.

Reactions: preilly44

Econ 101... you need to add the $1M infrastructure cost, land lease and demand charges. :cool:

Econ 101... you need to add the $1M infrastructure cost, land lease and demand charges. :cool:

They don’t pay lease/rent for the supercharger locations, in general. CapEx has decades to be paid off, and I mostly ignore one-time costs (even $1mm). They have some opex maintenance costs, but I rarely see broken superchargers, so they’re probably not terrible. I maintain that supercharging is now being used to help cash flow issues. It’s there right to do so, but I want a fast charging alternative so I’m not beholden to them.