Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model S Has 2nd Triple Cam For Autopilot & Pedestrian Noise Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bunch of people think it is Elon posting anonymously on Reddit, seems too specific to not be someone with inside knowledge... I would be willing to wager lunch on: if happens in Sept or not....

Elon has said he enjoys Reddit. Not sure why, but maybe he thinks they're more intellectual there. Anyway, it did seem pretty specific. And there was the July 5th story Technobuffalo that had a "good source" stating AP2 would be here by the end of the year. I have hope.

At least if it's true, those that have refresh cars will have the opportunity to upgrade. Something I didn't have when our car fell short of AP by 4 days.

Last edited:
"A bunch of people think it is Elon posting anonymously on Reddit,"​
Wow - I am spending a lot of time watching these trends and threads. I find it entertaining and amusing and a way to keep my mind sharp. Better than just popping corn and staring at the TV. I find it hard to believe that Elon has the time to spend doing this. Perhaps he has a staff assistant that weeds through these things and gives him highlights, but just being a troll? When I was CEO of a small engineering company, I did not have this much time. Elon has sooooo many irons in the fire I just can't get my head around this waste of time. (oops, not exactly a waste of time, but not a full utilization either)

"A bunch of people think it is Elon posting anonymously on Reddit,"​
Wow - I am spending a lot of time watching these trends and threads. I find it entertaining and amusing and a way to keep my mind sharp. Better than just popping corn and staring at the TV. I find it hard to believe that Elon has the time to spend doing this. Perhaps he has a staff assistant that weeds through these things and gives him highlights, but just being a troll? When I was CEO of a small engineering company, I did not have this much time. Elon has sooooo many irons in the fire I just can't get my head around this waste of time. (oops, not exactly a waste of time, but not a full utilization either)
He does like to tweet though. Follow him and you'll see frequent posts on Tesla, Tesla Energy and SpaceX. He's pretty prolific.

Reactions: benemac
This rumor does not want to die apparently :)

One thing that may make upgrade possible this time is that a lot of stuff is already there (braking, steering, some existing cables) which is what costed wk057 a small fortune (and time) to install on a classic S. They also had time to think on preparing an upgrade path as they were preparing the refresh. AP was not part of the plan for the S introduction but it is now a crucial differentiator for Tesla, and so they'd be once again disrupting the industry by offering software and hardware upgrades (and additional revenue streams). On the other hand mobileEye is getting dumped, so there is a lot of new logic boards to bring on board and *if* this is AP 2.0 with full autonomy a lot more sensors and cameras would be needed in addition to the narrow AI computer. Maybe it is more of an incremental upgrade before Level 4 autonomy.
I'd really find ironic that I waited so long before deciding on my refresh S to get AP, and it could be that my wife will get the new AP on her upcoming X...

If 'little birdie' or his big brother is flying around please drop some more insights there and there, we won't tell anyone :rolleyes:

Reactions: Odebek and benemac
This rumor does not want to die apparently :)

One thing that may make upgrade possible this time is that a lot of stuff is already there (braking, steering, some existing cables) which is what costed wk057 a small fortune (and time) to install on a classic S. They also had time to think on preparing an upgrade path as they were preparing the refresh. AP was not part of the plan for the S introduction but it is now a crucial differentiator for Tesla, and so they'd be once again disrupting the industry by offering software and hardware upgrades (and additional revenue streams). On the other hand mobileEye is getting dumped, so there is a lot of new logic boards to bring on board and *if* this is AP 2.0 with full autonomy a lot more sensors and cameras would be needed in addition to the narrow AI computer. Maybe it is more of an incremental upgrade before Level 4 autonomy.
I'd really find ironic that I waited so long before deciding on my refresh S to get AP, and it could be that my wife will get the new AP on her upcoming X...

If 'little birdie' or his big brother is flying around please drop some more insights there and there, we won't tell anyone :rolleyes:

There is a schematic floating around that I believe was the genesis of this thread that is labeled 2016 Model S and it shows a 4 camera system (one on the same bus with the radar and 3 with different focal lengths on their own bus) with one radar unit. The current AP uses the ultrasonic sensors for nearby cars along with one camera and one Doppler radar unit.

Most refresh Model Ss have the same single camera that the pre-refresh cars had. There are rumors the wiring hardness is already in there for the 4 camera system. In any case it's obvious Tesla was planning this before the refresh hit the streets, so I do think it's at least possible the refresh Ss will have the capability to upgrade. At minimum the mirror assembly needs to be replaced and probably some hardware added to the car's computer system.

There is a schematic floating around that I believe was the genesis of this thread that is labeled 2016 Model S and it shows a 4 camera system (one on the same bus with the radar and 3 with different focal lengths on their own bus) with one radar unit. The current AP uses the ultrasonic sensors for nearby cars along with one camera and one Doppler radar unit.

Most refresh Model Ss have the same single camera that the pre-refresh cars had. There are rumors the wiring hardness is already in there for the 4 camera system. In any case it's obvious Tesla was planning this before the refresh hit the streets, so I do think it's at least possible the refresh Ss will have the capability to upgrade. At minimum the mirror assembly needs to be replaced and probably some hardware added to the car's computer system.
I don't think there's any proof that the schematic is real and even if it was this whole MobileEye divorce and Tesla going another route make that a moot point IMHO.

Something else to note, the grey interior is sold out until January 2017. A Tesla sales guy I spoke to told me that everyone in the company is guessing that grey will be replaced with the vegan interior, although nobody said anything official. Might be a good time for them to introduce the 100kWh pack and other goodies...

• Love
Something else to note, the grey interior is sold out until January 2017. A Tesla sales guy I spoke to told me that everyone in the company is guessing that grey will be replaced with the vegan interior, although nobody said anything official. Might be a good time for them to introduce the 100kWh pack and other goodies...
Those seats are so soft. I think superior to actual leather. Hopefully they hold up better too.

Here it is. You can get more details on pg 1 & 2 of this thread.
http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/3597/268/original.jpg
Thanks for the link and the references to the early posts but this still looks to me like speculation and not from some official Tesla Service Manual as stated. In fact even the news source of this is labeling it as "unlikely". Are people really believing this is fact?

Report: Tesla to introduce new Autopilot hardware and pedestrian alert to the Model S [Update: unlikely]

• Informative
Reactions: Model S M.D.
Yes there are reasons to doubt that the new stuff to come will indeed follow those schematics, and short of official announcement from Tesla (or new hardware been delivered ahead of announcement) we are left to speculate.
At least two things seem to be sure at this point:
1/ AP will receive an upgrade at some point, and it is very likely BEFORE Model 3 is getting delivered (which led many to speculate that the part 2 unveiling for M3, supposedly end of this year, is the deadline to unveil the new AP that will be available at the same time or before for S/X)
2/ based on declaration from Elon that LIDAR is not needed, there is a need for more cameras to extend AP capabilities (lending 'some' credentials to this schematic leak) and possibly more or upgraded radars as well.

Thanks for the link and the references to the early posts but this still looks to me like speculation and not from some official Tesla Service Manual as stated. In fact even the news source of this is labeling it as "unlikely". Are people really believing this is fact?

Report: Tesla to introduce new Autopilot hardware and pedestrian alert to the Model S [Update: unlikely]
The picture is from the service manual. The "unlikely" was referring to the rumor of the refreshed Model S launching with new Autopilot hardware. We already knew that was not true (refresh came with same single camera unit).

• Informative
Reactions: gsxdsm and msnow
The picture is from the service manual. The "unlikely" was referring to the rumor of the refreshed Model S launching with new Autopilot hardware. We already knew that was not true (refresh came with same single camera unit).

State law in Massachusetts requires a shop manual to be available to end customers. Tesla owners in MA can subscribe to the online shop manual. When the authenticity was discussed I recall someone who lived in MA saying they had seen the page in the online manual on Tesla's site.

The schematic is more of a wiring diagram than a circuit schematic. It may be in the manual now because the wiring harness is being included.