Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tire time - anything quieter than the Michelin Primacy for 19"s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
37EB3105-D59B-4E5B-89F1-AFE3F1E644F1.png

I’m exploring Michelin LRR summer tires and the Pilot 3 and Primacy 3 Are summer only (GreenX).

The Euro label is for the Primacy 3 for the 245/45 R19 102Y which shows a “B” rating for fuel economy- the pilot sport 3 is a “C” which is still good.

The AS3+ is a great tire as well but not LRR.

I wish we had these here in North America.

When you guys refer to Primacy - can you be specific which version ?

So, its time for tires on my new-to-me P85. I currently have the Michelin Primacy OEM tires which I have been pretty happy with overall. However, I see that Tesla now does foam-lined tires with the new cars (Goodyear, I think), and I was wondering if anyone has experience comparing the noise levels between those tires? Does the foam really help?

Anyone else have any thoughts on the quietest tires out there for the 19s? I guess Continental also makes some foam lined ones, but I can't find them in 19" sizes, only the 21".
Not sure if available in your country, but I’m loving my new Michelin Primacy 3 ST tired. The ST stands for “Silence Tuned”.
The handling is a just a tiny bit less sharp, but a very clear drop in noise.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vern Padgett
F519691C-9F19-49CB-9E9D-4A453175A1F8.jpeg
Thanks - Which specific Primacy version are you referring to? The Primacy 3 has launched an new version is 2017. The Primacy 3 ST is also new but only in Australia?

Also I fould the Euro label for the Goodyear Eagle Touring which are rated a “c” for fuel economy.

Would be interested in the Primacy 3 ST but evidently not available in the States.

No love lately for the Pirelli Cinturados versus the Primacy family? Curious to hear how noisy relative to the Primacys later in their tread life. Clearly from the above, they would sound similar. Any direct experience therewith?

The Goodyears are crap!
Tesla is using them because they are a lot cheaper than the Michelin tires.
My new Model S had them and I demanded they put the Primacy tires on like I had on my earlier Model S. They obliged.
The Primacy tires are great! The foam in the Goodyear is a gimmick I would think!

I wish I had had the presence of mind to demand Primacys for the 2nd S last year instead of these crap Goodyear Eagle Touring tires.

While the GETs were quieter, they are *done* after a year and at not a lot past 25K miles, while the Primacys at 53K+ miles and 2.x years had more tread left than these GETs do at the moment. Doubles the TCO for tires, effectively. Yeah, I should have rejected the tires at the factory. They were unproven with no tread warranty versus the 45K warranty for the Primacys. Live and learn.

That said, the Cinturados have a 70K warranty and these new Primacy 3s just 30K. The former matters not if the last 30K miles are awash in a cacaphonous din, and the latter in this new ST variant begs the question, "Whatzat mean, Silence Tuning, beyond the marketing?" :)

I'm not going to trust these GETs (which are at 2/32" average all the way around) with an upcoming short trip (maybe 4,000 miles). It's time to get something else. Guess that means whichever Primacys I can get versus the Cinturados.

Choices, choices.

i have about 3-4k miles on the cinturado... was trying to get the P7, but America's tires forced these on me instead, saying it was the new version of the P7.

As far as noise, slightly quieter, but could be the new tire phenomenon.

So far, all I can say is these are 15% more energy consumption than the OEM Primacies, which I got 30k out of those. I was getting 280wh/mi easy before, now it's more like 320wh/mi.
75RWD

I was looking for low energy consumption and tread life. I was considering returning them, as they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Maybe I'll just stick it out and see what kind of tread life I get.

i have about 3-4k miles on the cinturado... was trying to get the P7, but America's tires forced these on me instead, saying it was the new version of the P7.

As far as noise, slightly quieter, but could be the new tire phenomenon.

So far, all I can say is these are 15% more energy consumption than the OEM Primacies, which I got 30k out of those. I was getting 280wh/mi easy before, now it's more like 320wh/mi.
75RWD

I was looking for low energy consumption and tread life. I was considering returning them, as they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Maybe I'll just stick it out and see what kind of tread life I get.

Interesting... Hopefully, the higher consumption is temporary due to the tires being new. Although at 4,000 miles in... that’s over 5% of their warranted tread life.

How noisy the Pirellis get toward the end of their life relative to the Michelins would probably be the key differentiator.

That and if the SvC really does refuse to rotate them because they’re not OEM. Mixed reports about that as with most things at SvCs anymore.

I am looking for replacement tires for my 2017 MS. Originally it came with GoodYear Touring tires. I normally don't like GY tires but the OE tires were very good. I really cannot fault them for anything. They wore out quickly, though. I purchased a set of Nokian zLine A/S tires, based on my exceptionally great experience with Nokian Hakkas in the past. They turned out to be extremely horrible in every way. For the first time in my life, new tires I put on my car were noisier, harsher riding, lower performance than the worn out tires they replaced :-| Please, don't ever buy them for your Tesla. Now that they are at 60%, they have become simply unbearable. I am just going to go ahead an replace them. I am driving a MS loaner today and it makes my MS feel like an ox cart in comparison.

I do like the Primacy MXM4. I have used several sets on my BMWs and have nothing but extreme praise for them. I also, to my surprise, like the OE GY Eagle Tourings. I also hear that Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ are good. And the Pirelli P7 A/S Plus. Choices, choices.

I am really leaning towards the Primacy MXM4. I may wait for the discount tire ebay sale, since they would be about $200 cheaper for the set.

I have seen that, and wondered how the results translated to people's actual experiences with the tires. Like if someone had the foam lined Goodyears when they bought the car and changed to Primacy tires and noticed a big difference.

My OEM tires only lasted 27,000 miles due to a bad factory alignment on the left rear. I replaced the OEM (foam-lined) tires with Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. They're quieter than the OEM foam-lined tires. So far I have 13,000 miles on them and they're wearing very nicely.

That's good to hear - thanks for your feedback. You're absolutely right the Goodyear tires don't last long! I was shocked how quickly they wear and how often a rotation is needed. Two of mine wore out in ~ 18mths.

I've had the Goodyear Eagle Touring ST (with the foam) from the outset since purchase and ready to replace the tires. Struggling with what the noise level and comfort will be when switching to say the Michelin - Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Michelin - Primacy MXM4. Does anybody have first hand experience of these tires?

I cannot recommend Primacy MXM4 highly enough. They are outstanding tires! I have been using them for a long time on various cars with excellent results. And they retain their good qualities as they wear, too. And whatever you do, do not get Nokian zLine A/S -- they are VERY uncomfortable and loud.