Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tire time - anything quieter than the Michelin Primacy for 19"s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot recommend Primacy MXM4 highly enough. They are outstanding tires! I have been using them for a long time on various cars with excellent results. And they retain their good qualities as they wear, too. And whatever you do, do not get Nokian zLine A/S -- they are VERY uncomfortable and loud.
I'm curious what your experience has been with the MXM4's in winter. My 70D I bought used had them with plenty of tread, but they have not impressed me at all on snow and ice.

I'm curious what your experience has been with the MXM4's in winter. My 70D I bought used had them with plenty of tread, but they have not impressed me at all on snow and ice.

I had a loaner MS with Primacy MXM4 that was surprisingly good in the first bad snow storm we had back in November. Since I put them on my own MS, I have not been in very deep snow yet. Have not noticed any issues yet.

When brand new, they are just barely acceptable. When worn even a bit they don't cut the mustard on ice days. I have a set of Nokian WR-g3 that I install for winter conditions. If you live where there is a real winter, then get real winter tires, such as Michelin X-Ice or Nokian R2.

Reactions: mswlogo
I had the original Goodyears that came with the car (2016 75D). Quiet, but worn out at 13,000 miles. Replaced with second set of same (because I got a deal). Worn out after another 20,000 miles. So, going to go with Michelins this time. Just trying to decide between the MXM4 and the A/S 3+. More concerned with ride comfort and quiet than mileage. Some snow use, but not heavy (Arizona mountains). Could use suggestions.

I had the original Goodyears that came with the car (2016 75D). Quiet, but worn out at 13,000 miles. Replaced with second set of same (because I got a deal). Worn out after another 20,000 miles. So, going to go with Michelins this time. Just trying to decide between the MXM4 and the A/S 3+. More concerned with ride comfort and quiet than mileage. Some snow use, but not heavy (Arizona mountains). Could use suggestions.
Quiet depends a lot on the road surface and it's interaction with the tread pattern. The MXM4 are very quiet if the pavement is smooth, not so quiet on rough pavement (but it depends on the aggregate size). Also they don't seem to get as noisy as some other tires as they wear (all tires get louder as the tread wears). The A/S 3+ aren't quite as low rolling resistant as the MXM4. FWIW, I got 42K miles on the last set of MXM4 and I took them off early because of an upcoming trip.

Are you sure that's not just worn tires vs new tires (or were they both new?)
The old tyres weren’t bald, and I’ve done tens of thousands of kilometres on both sets. Other people on the forum have noticed the difference too.
The ST stands for Silence Tuned, and Michelin makes them for the Asian market where some people value silence over all else.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
I had the Pilot Sport A/S 3 (not plus) in 2016. They were garbage compared to the Primacy. Primacy lasts me 40,000+ miles, A/S 3 only lasted 20,000 miles and developed scalloping. No alignment or other suspension issues with car. Switched back to Primacy and no problems. I will never stray from the OEM recommendations. Perhaps the plus version is better, but the A/S rubbed the inside of the wheel well (even though on paper was the same size rating) and developed inside edge wear in the rear.

So, its time for tires on my new-to-me P85. I currently have the Michelin Primacy OEM tires which I have been pretty happy with overall. However, I see that Tesla now does foam-lined tires with the new cars (Goodyear, I think), and I was wondering if anyone has experience comparing the noise levels between those tires? Does the foam really help?

Anyone else have any thoughts on the quietest tires out there for the 19s? I guess Continental also makes some foam lined ones, but I can't find them in 19" sizes, only the 21".

Goodyear
foam 100 percent silent

I'm looking for new tires too. In reading reviews on TireRack, there are a lot of comments about how terrible the Michelin Primacy is in snow/ice and rain. How do they rate with Tesla owners in wet/snowy weather?
They've worked fine for me in general with the roads in Tahoe, but they don't compare to real snow tires. I think they're an excellent compromise.

I'm looking for new tires too. In reading reviews on TireRack, there are a lot of comments about how terrible the Michelin Primacy is in snow/ice and rain. How do they rate with Tesla owners in wet/snowy weather?
My originals were MXM4's. They were OK, but not great in snow. My second set of tires are A/S3+'s and they are a bit better in snow. When it's time for set #3, I'm going to stick with them.

I don't know if these are made for Model S size in 19" but I just switched my Model 3 from 18" Primacy to 19" Pirelli P7 Plus and they are slightly quieter. Considering the 18" had the Aero Covers and my 19" don't they still get almost exactly the same range. And taller rims can be noisier. So if it was the same rim type and size and just the tire difference I think the difference would be huge. That is, 19" should be noisier than 18" and less efficient without Aero covers for the same tire.

Primacy's have treadlife of 500 (55,000 miles) the Pirelli P7 Plus has treadlife of 700 (70,000 miles). Now it doesn't mean you're gonna get that, but they should last longer. There is no free lunch though, the Pirelli P7 is probably slightly worse in snow/ice and slightly worse on wet. But I think Primacy is absolute crap in Ice/Snow and I run Xi3 for snows in Winter which is also quieter than Primacy. So I don't care what they do in the snow/ice.

Check out TireRack reviews lots of comments of how quiet they are and how long they last. Much better ratings than Primacy.

I think Bridgestone also just introduced a new tire that is similar (it has Quiet in the name) and is also 700 treadlife tire, not much history on it yet. But what little there is looks good.

My 2016 70D (now 75D) is just over 3 years old and due for its first set of tires. It came with Goodyear Eagle Tourings (245/45R19 98W), and they lasted almost 29K with 3/32 left on them. I'm not a tire expert by any stretch. I think the Goodyears did okay and were reasonably quiet but I really don't have a point of reference.

I'm shopping around locally and doing research to see if there's anything better/quieter. I don't need anything that handles extreme weather/snow as I don't go very far outside of the SF Bay Area.

Michelin's seem to be the biggest recommendation in various threads, either the Primacy 3 or MXM4.

Tesla is recommending MXM4's and their price is reasonable ($230 ea + installation) but no hazard warranty offered, as people already know.

I've checked with two local shops, one is recommending Continental Extreme DW06s, and another Firestone Firehawks. But it may be due to their stock or some salesman bonus.

Tirerack.com is listing two different Michelin Primacy 3 ZP's, but no straight Primacy 3's. Are these the same as discussed in this thread?

Is the MXM4 a good option still compared to the Eagle Tourings?

Thanks in advance